Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Lake effect snow thread

dmc76

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just waiting for the day when the Bills have a home game during one of those bands

HD tv for LES would be sweet.

This one hit the Bills game.

https://web.archive.org/web/20081007012610/http://www.erh.noaa.gov/buf/lakeffect/lake0203/c/stormcsum.html

The winter really started to wind up with our third event of the season. The storm occurred on the 1-2 of December, a time frame that has seen its fair share of lake effect storms in the past. The most intriguing aspect of this storm is that it received national media attention as fans tuned in to the end of the Buffalo Bills-Miami Dolphins football game on that Sunday afternoon.

copernicus.gif

You should move to North Boston. To me it always seems like the hot spot for LES.

Yeah Boston Hills/Colden are the best spots for snow in WNY where you don't have to drive more than 30-40 mins into work. I'm looking to buy a house this year or next and targeting North Boston or Hamburg/North Boston line. It's tough for me to sacrifice convenience for snow. Once you get to far south you miss out on the epic LES events. Ski Country hills get 200+ a year but they aren't included in any of the top 20 events for WNY with LES. You need the fetch to get the insane rates.

These Buffalo firehose bands may actually be the best thing in winter in the Great Lakes. In my unsolicited opinion :P

The Tug firehose is still the best IMO. You can get the 3 lake connection, full length of Ontario, and than orographic lift on the hilly terrain of the tug. LakeEffectKing reports seeing 12" of snow per hour rates twice in his life. I mean...that is just absurd.

I "only" received 7.5" since last night, I missed the big totals of 2' by a few miles south of me. Next event is looking like a classic, if anyone wants to chase I'd recommend it. Thinking 2-3' totals right around this area.

A couple of pics of my house had more than I though, knee deep everywhere now, we really got dumped on late last night and early this morning.  By the way I am upgrading next year curent blower not cutting it. 

12417586_10205295140877591_566371383563712509857_10205295142157623_2508480672378

You have an awesome property Josh. Exactly what I want, but that house/land would be a bit pricey here.

Yeah Boston Hills/Colden are the best spots for snow in WNY where you don't have to drive more than 30-40 mins into work. I'm looking to buy a house this year or next and targeting North Boston or Hamburg/North Boston line. It's tough for me to sacrifice convenience for snow. Once you get to far south you miss out on the epic LES events. Ski Country hills get 200+ a year but they aren't included in any of the top 20 events for WNY with LES. You need the fetch to get the insane rates.

If you could gain a little elevation just to the south, that sounds like a good spot to be at.

Wow, @ those 12" per hour rates on the Tug! I get really impressed when there's 2"/hour rates!

The Tug firehose is still the best IMO. You can get the 3 lake connection, full length of Ontario, and than orographic lift on the hilly terrain of the tug. LakeEffectKing reports seeing 12" of snow per hour rates twice in his life. I mean...that is just absurd.

I "only" received 7.5" since last night, I missed the big totals of 2' by a few miles south of me. Next event is looking like a classic, if anyone wants to chase I'd recommend it. Thinking 2-3' totals right around this area.

That's a fair point. The Tug also has good terrain (hence the name) which contributes as well. I can't imagine foot per hour rates. I've seen 3" or so in an hour sustained a few times...and instantaneous rates of 4" per hour too (but not sustained for very long)...I can imagine maybe up to 6" in a true fire-hose band off your end of the lake. But a foot in an hour, absurd to even try to think about lol. 

That's a fair point. The Tug also has good terrain (hence the name) which contributes as well. I can't imagine foot per hour rates. I've seen 3" or so in an hour sustained a few times...and instantaneous rates of 4" per hour too (but not sustained for very long)...I can imagine maybe up to 6" in a true fire-hose band off your end of the lake. But a foot in an hour, absurd to even try to think about lol. 

It really is. I think the max during Snowvember was 8" in a hour in the northern portion across Lancaster/South Cheektowaga area. We also had 3-5"+ per hour rates in 2001 at the airport region. I always go into the Ohio forums and love your LES analysis. It is odd to me that we're connected to the same lake yet in an entirely different forum. I know our area has been luckier than down there the last few years, but you know the NW/WNW are coming. ^_^

This one hit the Bills game.

https://web.archive.org/web/20081007012610/http://www.erh.noaa.gov/buf/lakeffect/lake0203/c/stormcsum.html

The winter really started to wind up with our third event of the season. The storm occurred on the 1-2 of December, a time frame that has seen its fair share of lake effect storms in the past. The most intriguing aspect of this storm is that it received national media attention as fans tuned in to the end of the Buffalo Bills-Miami Dolphins football game on that Sunday afternoon.

copernicus.gif

The tail end of it. I remember watching that she it came in with less then 3-4 mins in the fourth quarter.

Growing up in South Bend, Lake effect has always been of great interest to me.  Always was jealous of the consistency with which the other snowbelts would rack up solid events, and the tendency for stationary bands to pound off the other lakes.  Can get some very good rates off of southern L. Michigan, but pretty rare for them to dump on one area for multiple days.

SBN's 38" in 2011 is about the highest single total I know of for an event in that region.  METAR obs indicated 8"/hr at one point during that event, but highest I remember seeing growing up was about 4 or 5"/hr. 

Love these discussions, and the info that you guys bring to the table.

If the Erie/Ontario belts were a little further north and had a tenth of the people, I would probably live in the Tug for the extreme events alone. I like the deep long Winter's of the UP.

8 degrees, have had just over 5" since 5am this morning as a meso low moved on shore near Marquette. Snow depth is 22"

If the Erie/Ontario belts were a little further north and had a tenth of the people, I would probably live in the Tug for the extreme events alone. I like the deep long Winter's of the UP.

8 degrees, have had just over 5" since 5am this morning as a meso low moved on shore near Marquette. Snow depth is 22"

The Tug Hill area's population density is 48 people per square mile, while Marquette County, MI is 37 people per square mile - not a huge difference. Move to Montague in the heart of the Tug - population density of 1 person per square mile, epic snow, and not too far from Montreal, Toronto, Syracuse, Burlington, etc.

The Tug Hill area's population density is 48 people per square mile, while Marquette County, MI is 37 people per square mile - not a huge difference. Move to Montague in the heart of the Tug - population density of 1 person per square mile, epic snow, and not too far from Montreal, Toronto, Syracuse, Burlington, etc.

Marquette County's population reflects the university and the city itself. I live in far northern Marquette County in an area of the Huron's where it's less than one person per sq mile. HUGE difference.

road to my house this morning

there's no one to help you if you breakdown :D

Marquette County's population reflects the university and the city itself. I live in far northern Marquette County in an area of the Huron's where it's less than one person per sq mile. HUGE difference.

road to my house this morning

there's no one to help you if you breakdown :D

Who plows your road, County? Or do you have too?

Archived