SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Lake effect snow thread

dmc76

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Winds start out really favorible for my area then turn more sw mid week which is less ideal. Either way expecting some decent totals.

A lot to digest. I'll be riding over the 15th weekend at minimum. Might lug the trailer out your way for a day ride early next week. Roads will be ugly, but gasoline is cheap.

The joys of self employment.

The winds are ideal for SW michigan too.

Winds will vary from WNW to SW through the course of next week. A broad brushing should give everyone on the east side of Michigan a good dosing.

Where my area really shines is with a strong NW flow with a Superior connection. We can get some pretty intense snowfall for my areas which is SW of Gaylord. Some of those dominant bands that can setup produce 2-4" per hr, but never really last long enough for crazy totals like in your area downwind of Erie. Even a WNW or Westerly we do okay, having higher elevation helps out quite a bit. 12"+ is not out of the question for many areas along lake Mich even in the SW corner.  Our biggest negative is the much shorter fetch, why can't Lake Mich be about 200 miles longer :)

Also appears John D is going full weenie mode now for his area.   :rolleyes: to the surprise of none. I think over a season he paints the equivalent of 300" plus for the Keweenaw5-10.GIF

Where my area really shines is with a strong NW flow with a Superior connection. We can get some pretty intense snowfall for my areas which is SW of Gaylord. Some of those dominant bands that can setup produce 2-4" per hr, but never really last long enough for crazy totals like in your area downwind of Erie. Even a WNW or Westerly we do okay, having higher elevation helps out quite a bit. 12"+ is not out of the question for many areas along lake Mich even in the SW corner.  Our biggest negative is the much shorter fetch, why can't Lake Mich be about 200 miles longer :)

Also appears John D is going full weenie mode now for his area.   :rolleyes: to the surprise of none. I think over a season he paints the equivalent of 300" plus for the Keweenaw5-10.GIF

There's a couple 2-3 spots in the Keweenaw that do average around 300".  Like I said last night, he is way more conservative than he use to be.  He didn't whip out the yellow Crayola too many times last year.  IMO, his map looks pretty legit.

A small part of the  area he has colored yellow has already seen one 25" lake effect event this year.  It's not that hard to do.

At any rate, I'm prepared for 1-2'

A lake effect expert on our forums put out some pretty insane totals off of Erie and Ontario. Can't say I'm not getting more excited.

Im coming over this time. Get the guest bedroom ready. I like eggs in the morning. Coffee with cream and sugar.

This will make most people up here pretty happy to see and sledders from downstate to bad I will be downstate next weekend and miss the first decent riding setup of the year.

ecmwf_tsnow_michigan_41.png

That's probably underdone as well. Not for all areas, but Ontario along Superior, Alger county, Otsego county, Kalkaska county... will all see more than 12-18 inches. That synoptic alone should be 12 inches.

That's 10:1, that's why. LES is probably closer to 30:1.

That's probably underdone as well. Not for all areas, but Ontario along Superior, Alger county, Otsego county, Kalkaska county... will all see more than 12-18 inches. That synoptic alone should be 12 inches.

Ratios depend on a number of factors in lake effect. We've had anywhere from 1:6 to 1:30+ ratios. Last November was 1:13 on average so it was really heavy stuff. I would say LES averages ratios between 1:15 to 1:20/25.

Im coming over this time. Get the guest bedroom ready. I like eggs in the morning. Coffee with cream and sugar.

Haha! If I were to choose a location for this it would be the Tug. I think they get quite a bit more than us in this set-up. Its still far enough out there where a lot of stuff can change and totals might not be that high. We will have a much better idea by this weekend.

The Sunday system is still pretty close to call how much falls as snow. The LES will really depend on the 850 wind pattern and how much it veers throughout the week. I think it will be more of the share the wealth variety for a good chunk of NWL. 

Archived