joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Lake effect snow thread

dmc76

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in Grand Marais, MI.... absolutely pound town here.

Just peeked out the window and it's a wall of white.

We were supposed to come up there this weekend but had to bump it back a week, although I can't say i am to bummed about riding in below zero temps been there done that. Few years ago it was -13 when we got up to ride out of Pine Stump, none of sleds would even start :) 

I am getting thumped pretty good at my house right now with a decent NW flow which is a nice change instead of the damn NNW flow we have been seeing all week such a waste of good cold. Although is pronged to switch back to a  NNW late tonight into tomorrow. 

Thanks for the video.  You guys get sure get some intense stuff around Buffalo.  We're getting similar snow currently -  stil TBD how long it lasts.

Anytime man! Yeah lake effect/enhanced up the full fetch of the lake can yield really impressive rates. I think you guys get hit pretty good with the NW wind through tonight and tomorrow.

Unusually bold wording from EC

SNOW SQUALL WARNING
FOR SOUTHERN ONTARIO

ISSUED BY ENVIRONMENT CANADA
AT 12:13 A.M. EST SATURDAY 13 FEBRUARY 2016.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
SNOW SQUALL WARNING FOR:

=NEW= WATFORD - PINERY PARK - EASTERN LAMBTON COUNTY
=NEW= LONDON - MIDDLESEX
=NEW= GODERICH - BLUEWATER - SOUTHERN HURON COUNTY.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
==DISCUSSION==

SNOW SQUALLS ARE DEVELOPING IN THE WAKE OF THE COLD FRONT AND
CLUSTERS OF DISORGANIZED SNOW SQUALLS EXPERIENCED EARLIER. STRONG
NORTHWEST WINDS AND HEAVY SNOW AT TIMES WILL REDUCE VISIBILITIES TO
NEAR ZERO. A LITTLE LATER TONIGHT, ONE MAIN SNOW SQUALL IS EXPECTED
TO SET UP FROM NEAR LAMBTON SHORES AND GRAND BEND EXTENDING
SOUTHEASTWARDS THROUGH STRATHROY AND THEN SOUTHWEST OF LONDON. MOST
OF THE HEAVIEST SQUALLS SHOULD STAY WEST OF LONDON UNTIL PERHAPS
LATER ON SATURDAY AS WINDS SHIFT SLIGHTLY. THIS IS A DANGEROUS
SITUATION ESPECIALLY BECAUSE OF VERY COLD TEMPERATURES AND WIND
CHILLS IN COMBINATION OF THE SNOW SQUALLS. SEVERAL ROADS IN THE AREA
ARE CLOSED TO THE EAST OF LAKE HURON. DRIVERS SHOULD PAY EXTRA HEED
OR DELAY TRAVEL IF NECESSARY.

Amazing pics Bo. Picked up 8" of snow today here. A place north of here received 12" of snow in 2 hours. Incredible rates today.

Heres a video as it moved through my area.

Great video as always!  The heaviest snow I have ever witnessed for a sustained time was 12" in 4 hours.

Things much calmer looking this morning. still snowing but it's snow that may accumulate an inch in 6 hours.

Going to spend the day doing some snow maintenance. piles getting too big and need to push back the banks so I can see.

Haven't been out to the little cabin I have on my property here since fall.  Power is shut off but still better clear some snow today!

Slowing down for my area as the winds have veered more NN/W. gotta be some 12"+ spots aroud Kalkaska with that dominate band that has setup since early evening. 

I was watching that band for a while last night.  Kalkaska area is usually the winner with a nnw connection.

Great video as always! The heaviest snow I have ever witnessed for a sustained time was 12" in 4 hours.

Things much calmer looking this morning. still snowing but it's snow that may accumulate an inch in 6 hours.

Going to spend the day doing some snow maintenance. piles getting too big and need to push back the banks so I can see.

Haven't been out to the little cabin I have on my property here since fall. Power is shut off but still better clear some snow today!

DSC00410.JPG

I was watching that band for a while last night. Kalkaska area is usually the winner with a nnw connection.

Next winter I'm taking a trip up there and staying in that little cabin for a few days.

Good morning to stay indoors.  -7F currently and the snow is coming down 1-2" per hour I would estimate.   Hard to tell how much fell overnight with the blowing and drifting but maybe 6-12".

attachicon.gifIMG_3443.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_3442.JPG

Wow Alan you're raking it in. Would never have thought 6-12" fell but given the cold temps radar returns are not going to be telling the whole truth. What's your snowdepth like? You must be around 20".

Firehose now.  Probably 3" per hr.  If this was Dec. and maybe warmer outside, the flake size would be bigger and we'd be talking a bigger event.   Just got in from shovelling, and there wasn't a foot  - closer to 6-8"  but may get there if this continues.  Went for a walk with the wife and took some pictures which I'll put on in a bit.  Glad you got some of this one Mike, but the better stuff waited until this morning.   

Firehose now.  Probably 3" per hr.  If this was Dec. and maybe warmer outside, the flake size would be bigger and we'd be talking a bigger event.   Just got in from shovelling, and there wasn't a foot  - closer to 6-8"  but may get there if this continues.  Went for a walk with the wife and took some pictures which I'll put on in a bit.  Glad you got some of this one Mike, but the better stuff waited until this morning.   

Wow! The band is moving back into London ahead of schedule too it seems

Are you CANWARN trained? EC should be notified this could end up well over 1 foot for the city

Firehose now. Probably 3" per hr. If this was Dec. and maybe warmer outside, the flake size would be bigger and we'd be talking a bigger event. Just got in from shovelling, and there wasn't a foot - closer to 6-8" but may get there if this continues. Went for a walk with the wife and took some pictures which I'll put on in a bit. Glad you got some of this one Mike, but the better stuff waited until this morning.

Nice! Enjoy. Can't wait for pics.

Are you CANWARN trained? EC should be notified this could end up well over 1 foot for the city

Nope.  Just a weather weenie.  God knows how accurate I am as I don't use a board or any official equipment other than a ruler.   I'm in the west end and EC measures at the extreme east end (probably 10 kms east) so we can have very different situations and totals.

The big rates mentioned earlier didn't last long, but I get a picture of them.   There's btwn 12-15" inches level on the deck.  Flake size is really small - almost like sand so it's not accumulating for big numbers but still fun.   

attachicon.gifIMG_3444.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3445.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3449.JPG

oh my goodness it's beautiful Alan. I want to jump into those billowy mounds of white.

Yeah, it sucks I missed the big rates but Thursday was still entertaining.

Next winter I'm taking a trip up there and staying in that little cabin for a few days.

sure as long as I can experience a 24 hr firehose at your place! :P

The big rates mentioned earlier didn't last long, but I get a picture of them.   There's btwn 12-15" inches level on the deck.  Flake size is really small - almost like sand so it's not accumulating for big numbers but still fun.   

attachicon.gifIMG_3444.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3445.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3449.JPG

great pics.... enjoy!

sure as long as I can experience a 24 hr firehose at your place! :P

great pics.... enjoy!

Thanks. It pales in comparison to what you get,  but for this year it was quite unexpected.    Finally got some NW winds, which are hated by most,  but around here those winds + open lake  =  interesting times (most of the time)

Archived