joxey
Lake effect snow thread

dmc76

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Check out that band around Marquette.

It's definitely weenievile there.

Yea, they have been getting a good hit for the past few hours, the winds have veered more to the NW which should start to tap a Sup to Mich connection for at least a little while this afternoon. Probably pickup a few more inches somewhere in the NWL belts.

I think Bo and Josh will have some of the best winter weather in awhile with this upcoming pattern. I can see depths well over 50" at bos house in about 3 weeks. Just a great pattern for you guys.

I think we will do okay, a lot for my area will depend on how much or if any rain I get. Our snowpack is building up better then I would have expected for a strong El-Nino year.

It does appear another arctic outbreak is on tap which should "fire" up the "warm" lakes again, you will probably get a good dumping again as well. 

I think we will do okay, a lot for my area will depend on how much or if any rain I get. Our snowpack is building up better then I would have expected for a strong El-Nino year.

It does appear another arctic outbreak is on tap which should "fire" up the "warm" lakes again, you will probably get a good dumping again as well. 

Feb and March are usually my biggest riding months, I'm really liking the long range models. A below normal temp month looks really good for the northern lakes. I average 3000 miles per winter, I'm at 700 right now... got some ground to make up.

Per the NE forums, winter is an unmitigated disaster in northern New England (SNE's version of "up north"). Really shows you how the Lakes save our "up north" in MI no matter what the pattern.

And at the same time, if you discuss LES, half the forum gets jealous and flaps their arms around like a pen full of chickens.

Could you imagine Denver posters shouting down skiers being happy about orographic lift snows in the mountains.

Per the NE forums, winter is an unmitigated disaster in northern New England (SNE's version of "up north"). Really shows you how the Lakes save our "up north" in MI no matter what the pattern.

Great example is the hills of SEMI which is not a your traditional snowbelt other then the shoreline of Huron... picked up roughly 11" to 12" alone just on snow squalls this past month.

What was your Jan snowfall? Most of metro-Detroit had between 8 and 10".

Around 18" I believe. We had that one week where 11.9" fell, the two clippers/les and that system snow fell on the 10th. We had a lot of snow squalls this month more then usual.

Around 18" I believe. We had that one week where 11.9" fell, the two clippers/les and that system snow fell on the 10th. We had a lot of snow squalls this month more then usual.

What's your elevation over there dmc? My place sits at 800' about 16-18 miles north east of Addison Twp. Sounds like you guys have been getting more snow down that way then what we have. I only plowed my drive 2 times so far this winter, that Nov storm and 1 time in mid Jan to clean off the little bit of clipper/squall snow we had got. I don't have my snow board out or measure anymore but I would say we might have got 12" total for the month Jan. 

What's your elevation over there dmc? My place sits at 800' about 16-18 miles north east of Addison Twp. Sounds like you guys have been getting more snow down that way then what we have. I only plowed my drive 2 times so far this winter, that Nov storm and 1 time in mid Jan to clean off the little bit of clipper/squall snow we had got. I don't have my snow board out or measure anymore but I would say we might have got 12" total for the month Jan.

It's a mini snowbelt for some odd reason. Snow squalls from the NW like to travel through this area. You go east toward Bruce TWP and Romeo it's completely different.

My home is about 1050'. This area gets as high as 1300'

Looking like next  10-15 days could be some serious arctic air, may be one of the last widespread LES outbreaks of the season. -25 / -30 850 temps with the lakes still wide open for business.  Heading to the UP 3rd week should be pretty good by then especially with the GHD storm. My area will probably due pretty good as well, also Erie and Ontario should get dumped on depending on flow.

gfs_T850_us_38.png

Looking like next  10-15 days could be some serious arctic air, may be one of the last widespread LES outbreaks of the season. -25 / -30 850 temps with the lakes still wide open for business.  Heading to the UP 3rd week should be pretty good by then especially with the GHD storm. My area will probably due pretty good as well, also Erie and Ontario should get dumped on depending on flow.

gfs_T850_us_38.png

Hoping London gets rocked. We deserve it....way too much WNW flow the last couple of winters.

Hoping London gets rocked. We deserve it....way too much WNW flow the last couple of winters.

Always a possibility, not sure which flow favors your area the best, but NW or WNW I do really well in. Another thing to consider would be depending on how cold it gets could limit flake size/growth cutting back accumulations a little. But if there is a 7-10 day period of extended cold and small clippers most areas will pile up.

Always a possibility, not sure which flow favors your area the best, but NW or WNW I do really well in. Another thing to consider would be depending on how cold it gets could limit flake size/growth cutting back accumulations a little. But if there is a 7-10 day period of extended cold and small clippers most areas will pile up.

NNW flow would be best here. Like roughly a 320-330 flow.

Lakes are wide open so I take solace that we get an extended period this winter to try and make up lost time. 

Archived