joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 12-14th Storm Disco

Chicago Storm

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would love to experience a mountain blizzard too - with 3' feet+ of snow. Have it be in the Sierra, Colorado Rockies or Cascades. 

There's definitely some backcountry cabins in the Cascades, most are within a day's hike of roads or set back a bit from ski areas.

Back to this system though. I think Bo will at least get some snow regardless what the EURO says.

Minneapolis can't catch a decent storm to save their lives.  This looks like it may cut through Wisconsin, and likely would be a good storm for them in a lot of circumstances, but with little cold air, will probably be a mix of precip types for them.

You gotta pick your run!

Noon run looks pretty good for MSP.Still a long ways out but this year we are getting the extreme low baro traces and that should be good for MSP. Run to run variability must be driving weenies in that area nuts.If it were cold enough for snow here we would be going nuts as well!

I'm 3 foot below normal in snow. 3-4" is scraps. :)

Ha Ha..... I am about 2 feet below right now :( , I was hoping for at least some backend "scraps" for my area to at least make it resemble a winter not sure that will happen. As a poster said this does resemble storms tracks you normally see in October/November. Extended range still keeps the majority of the arctic sub -15c temp air NW of the Hudson Bay not very conducive for LES. Heck I think my old stomping grounds may have more accumulated snowfall through December then my area now, wonder when the last time that has happened? 

This storm is going to be another "cold soaker" for pretty much everyone, another weaker system hot on this ones heels but looks about the same. The GFS decided to throw in a couple teaser nor'easters in extended range..

this one never had a chance at being a snow event?

have you guys been paying attention to canada, deep cold is totally lacking

Cold air wasn't that deep with November storm...

Problem here is the timing is off. Cold air isn't feeding into the storm like it did in November.

..EASTERN KS/MO/SOUTHERN IA  

DESPITE EVEN WEAKER INSTABILITY WITH NORTHWARD EXTENT INTO THIS  

REGION...FORCING FOR ASCENT ATTENDANT TO THE NORTH-NORTHEAST TRACK  

OF THE SUB-TROPICAL SHORTWAVE TROUGH SHOULD SUPPORT TSTM DEVELOPMENT  

BY LATE SATURDAY AFTERNOON AND/OR EARLY EVENING. GIVEN STRONG  

DEEP-LAYER WIND FIELDS /UP TO 50-KT AT 850 MB AND 60-70-KT AT 500  

MB/...FAST STORM MOVEMENTS WILL BE LIKELY...WITH INCREASING BULK  

SHEAR SUPPORTING SOME STORM ORGANIZATION. OVERALL STRONG TO SEVERE  

STORM COVERAGE SHOULD BE LOW...GIVEN WEAK INSTABILITY. DAMAGING  

WINDS AND A TORNADO THREAT CANNOT BE RULED OUT WITH THE PRESENCE OF  

HODOGRAPH CURVATURE /EFFECTIVE SRH EXCEEDING 200 M2 PER S2/ LATE  

SATURDAY AFTERNOON INTO THE EVENING.