SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
November 20-21 Early Season Snowstorm Part 2

Hoosier

• Replies 844
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back to where we started...rain has washed away any accumulation. Starting to worry we won't actually change over.

Soundings say it should be snowing...really not sure what to make of it, unless the warmth just off the surface (up to 950 mb) is greater than expected.  Precip is pretty light though...maybe heavier bands will do the trick.

Soundings say it should be snowing...really not sure what to make of it, unless the warmth just off the surface (up to 950 mb) is greater than expected. Precip is pretty light though...maybe heavier bands will do the trick.

That's what I'm thinking, just going to sleep and hopefully be pleasantly surprised when I wake up

The band up north was one of the most impressive mesoscale snow bands I've ever seen. Definitely more common in east coast snowstorms than in the Midwest.

As has been mentioned by others, the lake effect/enhancement that develops could really go to town even though it should be fairly transient. Excellent low level convergence along the western shore until boundary layer flow can flip to northwest.

The band up north was one of the most impressive mesoscale snow bands I've ever seen. Definitely more common in east coast snowstorms than in the Midwest. The lake effect/enhancement that develops could really go to town even though it should be fairly transient. Excellent low level convergence along the western shore until boundary layer flow can flip to northwest.Sent from my SM-G900V

Yeah it was really something! It seems like the main band is trying to set up right now, in the mean time we're getting LK effect/enh. 7-7.5" snow so far in Northbrook.

Somewhere around 9.5"-10" out there. Rates have slowed and the snow isn't accumulating very efficiently anymore. A bit of dripping off the roof and the asphalt driveway (all 300'+ of it) is a thick slushy mess. The snow on the backside of the storm should be drier.

But man... that f'n band.

Yeah it was really something! It seems like the main band is trying to set up right now, in the mean time we're getting LK effect/enh. 7-7.5" snow so far in Northbrook.

Doesn't seem like much of a lake enhancement signal yet, just another f-gen band from the north shore down to central IL.

Archived