• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
4th Annual Fall/Winter Thread for the Mountains/Foothills

Met1985

Morning folks, just got up so haven't looked at anything but your obs. Sounds like things are looking good. Watching the weather channel which is providing pretty good coverage. Looks like strong is going to get pounded in a bit. Going to be a lull with maybe some freezing drizzle for some for a bit. A lot of energy back in TN. If that makes it into your area watch out! Reporting heavy Thundersnow in KY right now. As usual extreme totals will not be reached for all but a great storm no less. I'll put it to you this way. If I told you a month ago you could have this event how quick would you jump on it? Congrats guys.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From my perspective, the forecast is unchanged from yesterday.  It seems the HRRR has an excellent handle on things and keeps snow flying in the mountains through 3pm or so with a lull (as has been expected) until the upper low passes overhead.  Tonight we see the deformation band come through and then we switch to a classic NWFS event tomorrow morning.

Here in southwest Buncombe, we have a solid 6" this morning, pretty much on par with what the GFS and Euro were forecasting by 12Z.  If they are right, we have about 6-10" more snow to come today through midnight.

Nice. Thanks for the information. You are definitely one of the positives on this board. I have at least 6.5 so far. I am pleased. Continued snow is a bonus.

Only a couple of inches here with light flurries. Just not going to be a big snow here. Hoping for maybe 6 when it's all over. I'll take it though because it'll put me over a foot for the year. Glad to see others getting some decent snow. 

Hey Joe. Before it's over, you will outdo us all. There is too much going on for you not to.

Morning folks, just got up so haven't looked at anything but your obs. Sounds like things are looking good. Watching the weather channel which is providing pretty good coverage. Looks like strong is going to get pounded in a bit. Going to be a lull with maybe some freezing drizzle for some for a bit. A lot of energy back in TN. If that makes it into your area watch out! Reporting heavy Thundersnow in KY right now. As usual extreme totals will not be reached for all but a great storm no less. I'll put it to you this way. If I told you a month ago you could have this event how quick would you jump on it? Congrats guys.

Hey Don. It's been great for me. Still a really good shot at double digits. 

Radar shows that things are now tapering off in SW NC with the trend spreading towards the ENE. (Suspect it will linger along the Southern escarpment due to the upslope for quite awhile) The first part of this storm is about over.

I noticed that...but the short-range HRRR seems to think it will rapidly fill back in. Forcing does look good, but HRRR may be a bit aggressive.

I noticed that...but the short-range HRRR seems to think it will rapidly fill back in. Forcing does look good, but HRRR may be a bit aggressive.

That convective line in Georgia is causing sinking air behind it leading to the big decrease in echos which the HRRR might be slow to pick up on. It could fill back in quickly once that has passed but the next phase of the storm is almost upon us.

Lets talk impacts. So far, the wind is preventing any snow from accumulating on trees or power lines. If that holds, seems to me losing power should be a very low chance. The winds themselves may cause a few issues but the weight of the snow alone shouldn't be the culprit. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HT, I was looking at the trees thinking the same thing.  A bit of relief not seeing the trees weighed down at this point.  Ironic that the wind could help keep the trees from coming down.

Snowing hard again. Wind is just ripping. Surprisingly this is not as wet as I thought.

I'm getting what you're getting. Heavy snow, big swirling flakes. I can't believe how well I am doing here compared to other Buncombe reports that I have seen. I am a little over 7 inches. I am glad HT is in the same ballpark, so people don't think that I am crazy. Of course I am SW also. That appears to be the money spot.

I'm getting what you're getting. Heavy snow, big swirling flakes. I can't believe how well I am doing here compared to other Buncombe reports that I have seen. I am a little over 7 inches. I am glad HT is in the same ballpark, so people don't think that I am crazy. Of course I am SW also. That appears to be the money spot.

Just measured 7" here in Candler (close to Mt. Pisgah)

Archived