• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: End of Fall/Into Winter!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having said all that I like a quick changeover to snow with the departing low Sunday evening with LES setting up across metro and points south and drifting into ski country where it will remain overnight into Monday and begin to drift northward Monday evening into Tuesday. Best shot for snow in Metro is certainly Tuesday for the short term. Going to stick with 1 event at a time. And of course the Tug will be getting nailed all week, that's the easiest forecast of them all. I really like Fulton/Oswego spots later in the week.

I think Thurs is the most significant event. The Euro has a very intense band set-up across southern Erie/ski country. These snowfall rates with good ratios would be 4-5"+ an hour, the tug rates with upslope... even higher? It shows .5" of QPF in a 3 hour period on Thurs. with ratios of 1:20 to 1:25 that would be 10-15" in 3 hours.

r4MOY5y.png

I think Thurs is the most significant event. The Euro has a very intense band set-up across southern Erie/ski country. These snowfall rates with good ratios would be 4-5"+ an hour, the tug rates with upslope... even higher? It shows .5" of QPF in a 3 hour period on Thurs. with ratios of 1:20 to 1:25 that would be 10-15" in 3 hours.

I really liked the orientation of the banding per the latest Euro run. It looks like the Tug as you said is a given to get hammered all week. The Hamburg/Boston Hills area look to get nailed really good on the Thursday as the strong vort swings over the Lakes. I would bet money on TSSN+ for that band if it were to materialize. 

I really liked the orientation of the banding per the latest Euro run. It looks like the Tug as you said is a given to get hammered all week. The Hamburg/Boston Hills area look to get nailed really good on the Thursday as the strong vort swings over the Lakes. I would bet money on TSSN+ for that band if it were to materialize. 

Yeah I liked the look as well, lots can change as we're still 5+ days away. Will definitely be a close call here based on latest model for the Thurs event, but as we saw last year sometimes the northern portion of the band can be the most intense.

Kbuf HWO

WHILE THE INITIAL SNOW ON MONDAY SHOULD NOT BE DOWNPLAYED...THE
MIDDLE PORTION OF THE WEEK HAS THE POTENTIAL TO BECOME A HIGH
IMPACT LAKE EFFECT EVENT WITH SEVERAL FEET OF SNOW POSSIBLY
ACCUMULATING IN NARROW REGIONS OVER RELATIVELY SHORT PERIODS OF
TIME. LAKE EFFECT SNOW BANDS WILL MOVE NORTH AND SOUTH ACROSS THE
EASTERN LAKE ONTARIO REGION AND WILL AFFECT MUCH OF OSWEGO COUNTY
AND PORTIONS OF NORTHERN CAYUGA COUNTIES...ESPECIALLY DURING
MIDWEEK.

A look at the 6z gfs valid monday through friday..

post-694-0-57997200-1452352287_thumb.png

Looks like some pretty big differences between GFS and Euro/CMC for the mid to late week lake effect.  GFS likes the idea of a bomb moving slowly north from Maine as driving the flow - which would be WNW with connection to upper lakes = major hammer time for the Oswego to Syracuse corridor.  Euro/CMC look to bring another trof/clipper through the lakes, which would disrupt the flow quite a bit.  

Interesting week ahead for sure - finally!  

Kbuf HWO

A look at the 6z gfs valid monday through friday..

attachicon.gifgfs_precip_120hr_syracuse_30.png

i know the gfs is going to under model the QPF but look at the difference between Erie and Ontario, looks to be a much more impressive event off Ontario. Also according to the GFS most of the snow off Erie looks to be in ski country and not really even touch the southtowns...

Looks like this is adding up to be a big old BUST for the metro and immediate south towns...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty much as expected with this forecast for the 1st event. My call was LES watch for southern erie and ski country and I think a LES advisory goes up for Northern Erie maybe Niagara by Monday am shift.

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

The GGEM goes to a SW flow on Thursday. GFS WSW, Euro gets to nearly WSW but mainly W/WNW. Models are all over. ^_^

Me thinks BUF is conservative on the snowfall amounts for the first initial event, we might get advisory amounts from that first low per the 18z Goofus.

Yeah, Advisorys won't get issued until they put up LES Warnings for the Watch counties. I would say safe bet for LES advs for northtowns and Metro.

No doubt about that, lets hope KBUF can at least get 20" out of this.. we are running -40 on the snowfall department.

Hello everyone, thought i'd pop in and say hi. Hope the holidays went well for all.

I've had 5" of snow thus far. I thought 2001/02 & 2011/12 were lousy winters but this one may rule them all. Frankly, it's a lot easier not having to clear snow all the time. I could get very used to this.

Looks like some snow next week east of Lake Ontario on the Tug but not much else going on for CNY. Bring on Spring!

Going to Patiently wait my turn, latest p&c forecast

Tuesday

A chance of snow showers before 1pm, then snow likely after 1pm. Areas of blowing snow after 1pm. Cloudy, with a high near 32. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Tuesday Night

Snow likely before 1am, then snow showers likely after 1am. The snow could be heavy at times. Areas of blowing snow before 1am. Cloudy, with a low around 18. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Wednesday

Snow showers likely. The snow could be heavy at times. Cloudy, with a high near 23. Windy. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Wednesday Night

Snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a low around 14. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Thursday

Snow showers likely. The snow could be heavy at times. Cloudy, with a high near 25. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Thursday Night

Snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a low around 18. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Friday

A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 26. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Going to Patiently wait my turn, latest p&c forecast

Tuesday

A chance of snow showers before 1pm, then snow likely after 1pm. Areas of blowing snow after 1pm. Cloudy, with a high near 32. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Tuesday Night

Snow likely before 1am, then snow showers likely after 1am. The snow could be heavy at times. Areas of blowing snow before 1am. Cloudy, with a low around 18. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Wednesday

Snow showers likely. The snow could be heavy at times. Cloudy, with a high near 23. Windy. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Wednesday Night

Snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a low around 14. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Thursday

Snow showers likely. The snow could be heavy at times. Cloudy, with a high near 25. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Thursday Night

Snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a low around 18. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Friday

A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 26. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Not a big fan of point and clicks because during the same timeframe it gives you heavy snow it gives me heavy snow and that would be impossible based on wind direction. I believe the Euro is the best model and that one would give you 1-2 feet of snow on Thursday.

Sunday Night
Snow showers likely. Areas of blowing snow after 9pm. Cloudy, with a low around 20. Windy, with a west wind around 32 mph, with gusts as high as 49 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.
Monday
Snow showers, mainly after 11am. Areas of blowing snow before 8am, then areas of blowing snow after 11am. High near 23. Windy, with a west wind 22 to 26 mph, with gusts as high as 37 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%.
Monday Night
Snow showers, mainly before 2am. Areas of blowing snow before 8pm. Low around 19. West wind 14 to 18 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%.
Tuesday
A chance of snow showers before 8am, then snow likely after 8am. Areas of blowing snow after 8am. Cloudy, with a high near 30. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Tuesday Night
Snow likely before 8pm, then snow showers likely after 8pm. The snow could be heavy at times. Areas of blowing snow before 2am. Cloudy, with a low around 16. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Wednesday
Snow showers likely. The snow could be heavy at times. Cloudy, with a high near 21. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
Wednesday Night
Snow showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 15. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
Thursday
Snow showers likely. The snow could be heavy at times. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 24. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Thursday Night
Snow showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 19. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
Friday
A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 29. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

We have our 1st warning for event 1. Enjoy Tug Hill peeps!

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BUFFALO NY1002 PM EST SAT JAN 9 2016NYZ006>008-101115-/O.UPG.KBUF.LE.A.0001.160111T0300Z-160112T0900Z//O.NEW.KBUF.LE.W.0002.160111T0300Z-160112T0900Z/OSWEGO-JEFFERSON-LEWIS-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...OSWEGO...WATERTOWN...LOWVILLE1002 PM EST SAT JAN 9 2016...LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM SUNDAY TO 4 AMEST TUESDAY...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BUFFALO HAS ISSUED A LAKE EFFECTSNOW WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM SUNDAY TO 4 AM ESTTUESDAY. THE LAKE EFFECT SNOW WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.* LOCATIONS...OSWEGO...JEFFERSON...AND LEWIS COUNTIES. GREATEST  AMOUNTS EXPECTED ACROSS THE TUG HILL REGION.* TIMING...FROM LATE SUNDAY EVENING THROUGH LATE MONDAY NIGHT.* ACCUMULATIONS...4 TO 7 INCHES SUNDAY NIGHT...10 TO 19 INCHES  MONDAY...AND 4 TO 7 INCHES MONDAY NIGHT...LEADING TO STORM  TOTALS OF MORE THAN 2 FEET IN THE MOST PERSISTENT LAKE SNOWS.* WINDS...WEST 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 35 MPH.* VISIBILITIES...UNDER A QUARTER MILE AT TIMES.* TEMPERATURES...LOWS AROUND 20 SUNDAY NIGHT. TEMPERATURES NEARLY  STEADY IN THE LOWER 20S MONDAY. LOWS IN THE TEENS MONDAY NIGHT.* IMPACTS...BANDS OF LAKE EFFECT SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW WILL  PRODUCE EXTREMELY POOR TRAVEL CONDITIONS WITH SNOW COVERED  ROADS AND VERY POOR VISIBILITY.

Looks like 2-3' possible for event 1 on the Tug with a stronger LES event later on in the week, they could be approaching some insane totals by next weekend.

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

I am very confident someone sees 40" off Ontario with that Georgian Bay connection by Tuesday afternoon. Looks utterly perfect. Even the 4km NAM spits about over 2" of QPF with this, and I'd be ratios are going to be a bit better than 15:1. Only wish I could be there to see it happen!

Archived