joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 1st-7th Severe Weather Threat

HillsdaleMIWeather

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The one thing that really caught me off guard was how dry it was this afternoon and windy and hot.

I haven't seen storms fire past daytime heating like this in ages

That is pretty common in mid/late summer actually, especially with a trough moving in. It gives the ascent for a line to explode, like tonight.

Chicago Tribune:

A tornado may have touched down in north suburban Grayslake this evening, according to the National Weather Service.  A "short lived'' tornado warning was issued at 8:45 p.m. and expired at 9:05 p.m., when the storm moved over the lake, said NWS meteorologist Ricky Castro.

“There might have a been a tornado with that,’’ Castro said, because of damage that was reported in the Grayslake area.  As of about 9:45 p.m. that storm was “putting down waterspouts over the lake,’’ Castro said.

Line seems to have turned more south in the Chicago area. Pretty cool to loop the radar and watch that earlier tornadic cell in Lake county get swallowed up by the line.

Yeah a bit like that beast up near West Branch today that was dropping baseball hail. Thank god we left early because of the initial storms up north. Else we would have probably drove right into that storm.

Line seems to have turned more south in the Chicago area. Pretty cool to loop the radar and watch that earlier tornadic cell in Lake county get swallowed up by the line.

Same thing is happening to the west of that area. Discrete cell pops, and is suddenly merging or being eaten by other cells. Getting close to having a solid line from the lake to 39

This line intensified right over me and some pre-squall convection fired up right overhead and dropped the first hail I've seen here in years IMBY. It was probably pea or a little bigger sized, nothing crazy, but interesting. Fierce winds going on right now too...weird seeing it come in due north.

Yeah a bit like that beast up near West Branch today that was dropping baseball hail. Thank god we left early because of the initial storms up north. Else we would have probably drove right into that storm.

Pretty epic report there of it raining baseballs. I'm going to take a trip north tomorrow morning where all the damage reports came in at earlier today.

There actually were a few bigger hail pieces mixed in right after I posted that. Startled the crap out of me when a gust of wind banged a few against my neighbor's metal siding. Pretty much a classic SEMI MCS.

I thought it was gonna die on us like some of the models advertised this morning, but I am pleasantly surprised.

Pretty epic report there of it raining baseballs. I'm going to take a trip north tomorrow morning where all the damage reports came in at earlier today.

Yeah I called in a few of the reports on the way home with the first line, the town of Sterling had some trees on houses. I will tell you this, those storms screwed up the roads pretty bad. It normally takes us 3 hours to get back from Mio, it took us 6 today. It was the worst traffic I have ever seen for a non-holiday weekend.

Archived