amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
August 2015 Discussion

Hoosier

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was kinda shocked by the skilling nugget drop earlier today...this summer is running 1 degree below normal and .3 degrees below last year. With the extended string of 80+ and the numerous 90's this year I thought for sure we would have been ahead of last year in the temp department.

http://chicagoweathercenter.com/blog/coolest-summer-in-6-years-featuring-an-often-cloudy-september-level-cool-spell-temps-since-june-1-only-a-degree-below-normal-seasons-5th-atlantic-tropical-storm-forms

In contrast here there has been 30 80° days, but only seven 80°+ highs in a row. And only one 90° high. I might as well be a couple hundred miles north of ORD! lol

Departure here is -1.99° for the summer so far.

I hope the high dewpoints are done for the season now.

Perfect night for a bonfire.  Kind of a hint of fall, but not uncomfortably cool by any means.  This weather is really making me look forward to the playoffs, and the start of reg season football.  

Shot this earlier this evening.  Big dead elm tree next to an isolated barn out in the middle of a soybean field.  

2m6v9zt.jpg

Perfect night for a bonfire.  Kind of a hint of fall, but not uncomfortably cool by any means.  This weather is really making me look forward to the playoffs, and the start of reg season football.  

Shot this earlier this evening.  Big dead elm tree next to an isolated barn out in the middle of a soybean field.  

2m6v9zt.jpg

Dude, you sure do liven up the board with your killer photography.

Biked the Hennepin Canal (just north of i80) last weekend (from Mineral, IL near i39 to Colona just outside the Quad Cities) and the ragweed was out in force, lining the trail on both sides. Allergies aren't usually a problem for me but my head was a mess by Sunday morning. Saw a lot of it last month on the Elroy Sparta trail too.

Sent from my iPhone

Thats a hell of a trip. What 35 miles one way?

Biked the Hennepin Canal (just north of i80) last weekend (from Mineral, IL near i39 to Colona just outside the Quad Cities) and the ragweed was out in force, lining the trail on both sides. Allergies aren't usually a problem for me but my head was a mess by Sunday morning. Saw a lot of it last month on the Elroy Sparta trail too.

Sent from my iPhone

Wow, that's a long way!  Back in the day we used to bike from Colona to the park north of Geneseo, and then back.  It's a real cool ride through some of those areas.  There was a bridge that you rode over the Green River east of Colona that was always real cool to go over.  

It's pretty obvious that this August is predestined to be the first one since 2004 without a 90-degree day. Not only that, but the highest temperature so far this month is only 87 set on the 16th. If it stays that way by Monday evening, the all-time record coldest maximum August temperature is in jeopardy of being tied.

Top 10 Earliest Last 90-Degree Days:
1. July 8, 1971
2. July 13, 1981
3. July 26, 1967
4. July 28, 1921
5. July 29, 2015 (currently)
6. July 31, 1915
7. August 2, 1942
    August 2, 2006
9. August 3, 1963
10. August 4, 1982

It would have to take some miracle sometime next month to escape that list, but this year will likely be part of the list. 

It's pretty obvious that this August is predestined to be the first one since 2004 without a 90-degree day. Not only that, but the highest temperature so far this month is only 87 set on the 16th. If it stays that way by Monday evening, the all-time record coldest maximum August temperature is in jeopardy of being tied.

Top 10 Earliest Last 90-Degree Days:

1. July 8, 1971

2. July 13, 1981

3. July 26, 1967

4. July 28, 1921

5. July 29, 2015 (currently)

6. July 31, 1915

7. August 2, 1942

August 2, 2006

9. August 3, 1963

10. August 4, 1982

It would have to take some miracle sometime next month to escape that list, but this year will likely be part of the list. 

Mid/Long range looks like widespread 90s...

So I'm not the only who thought it was cold? Having just moving to Columbus from Dallas Texas it's usually 95 degrees back home, it doesn't reach a chilly 63 till late October. I thought people up here would think of the 63 degrees weather as warm an toasty and were probably quietly laughing at me for shivering while I was walking across campus.

So I'm not the only who thought it was cold? Having just moving to Columbus from Dallas Texas it's usually 95 degrees back home, it doesn't reach a chilly 63 till late October. I thought people up here would think of the 63 degrees weather as warm an toasty and were probably quietly laughing at me for shivering while I was walking across campus.

Yes this is cold for this time of year by about 15-20 degrees depending on location.

Yeah, lets save this garbage for October. Nothing desirable about this weather this early in the season. Hell imagine if you were in the UP camping this week.

It would be wonderful. There is nothing like sitting by a campfire on a cool night.

Very cool to find someone else who has rode some of the Canal.  It doesn't seem to get a lot of usage.  

We camped along one of the locks Friday night and parked a second vehicle at the end so we didn't have to ride the round trip.  We rode all day Saturday and camped at another lock between Geneseo and Colona on Saturday night.  It is a really cool ride.  

It's a real shame the state of IL is neglecting this awesome recreational resource.  The trail was closed at lock 26 (about 2 miles east of the Green River bridge you mentioned).  We went ahead and rode on through the warnings of prosecution and rode it all the way through.  There's no legal way to get to the Green River bridge as it is in the closed section.  There were more warning signs on the bridge itself, so I am not sure if there's some deficiency on the bridge itself, the signs didn't say, but after a lot of looking it over and poking it with sticks we got the balls to ride across it.  The deck was in good shape so I'm not sure what the deal is.  

I'm sure you probably also saw the ruins of the old aqueduct on both sides of the Green River south of that bridge.  It's also in really bad shape now, there was a concrete lid built over part of the water intake that is crumbling and is actually a real danger, you can't tell it's crumbling right away, it's flush with the surrounding concrete, and under it is about a 20 foot drop to 10' deep stagnant water, with nothing to grab onto to get out/no ladder/etc.  

Just past there and on in toward Colona the whole canal is washed out, the banks are destroyed, the canal is pretty much drained and it's a giant miserable mess.  Ridable though, and some of the most interesting riding of the whole trail.  Gives you a hint of what the rest of the trail will look like in a decade or so as IL seems to have completely stopped maintaining it in the last two years or so.  

I think there was quite a bit of damage last year (or maybe the year before) when the rock river flooded severely. I worked the area further west, along the interstate and towards the airport, and was only able to access some homes by boat.

I have seen the parking areas near several of the canal crossings, and have dreamed of riding it.  We have a trail running through DeKalb along route 64 into St Charles and chicagoland that I have had my eyes on. But with my bum arm and back, bike riding (like golf) will wait till next season.

Very cool to find someone else who has rode some of the Canal.  It doesn't seem to get a lot of usage.  

We camped along one of the locks Friday night and parked a second vehicle at the end so we didn't have to ride the round trip.  We rode all day Saturday and camped at another lock between Geneseo and Colona on Saturday night.  It is a really cool ride.  

It's a real shame the state of IL is neglecting this awesome recreational resource.  The trail was closed at lock 26 (about 2 miles east of the Green River bridge you mentioned).  We went ahead and rode on through the warnings of prosecution and rode it all the way through.  There's no legal way to get to the Green River bridge as it is in the closed section.  There were more warning signs on the bridge itself, so I am not sure if there's some deficiency on the bridge itself, the signs didn't say, but after a lot of looking it over and poking it with sticks we got the balls to ride across it.  The deck was in good shape so I'm not sure what the deal is.  

I'm sure you probably also saw the ruins of the old aqueduct on both sides of the Green River south of that bridge.  It's also in really bad shape now, there was a concrete lid built over part of the water intake that is crumbling and is actually a real danger, you can't tell it's crumbling right away, it's flush with the surrounding concrete, and under it is about a 20 foot drop to 10' deep stagnant water, with nothing to grab onto to get out/no ladder/etc.  

Just past there and on in toward Colona the whole canal is washed out, the banks are destroyed, the canal is pretty much drained and it's a giant miserable mess.  Ridable though, and some of the most interesting riding of the whole trail.  Gives you a hint of what the rest of the trail will look like in a decade or so as IL seems to have completely stopped maintaining it in the last two years or so.  

Yeah it's a shame that they've stopped maintaining most of the canal infrastructure.  

Down to 57 here.  

Forecast high was 68F for today but we only made it up to 63F for a high, and that's actually the 5:00pm reading. Just no sun to heat things up, too much of that fall-like grey cloud cover today.

Looks like some southerly flow will finally start to take over tomorrow and as we head into the weekend. Ribfest this weekend! That's how you know summer's coming to a close.

Archived