joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Dog Days of Summer: August 2015 Discussion

dmillz25

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Consecutive days with a high of 80+ should end at 62 on Sept. 09 with a frontal passage.

I think it will occur in the 9/9 - 9/12 timeframe and it would only occur earlier due to a cloudy/rainy day which is still not out of the question. 

02 and 09 both had hot augusts and then the coastal low dam broke toward oct

At some point you would think everything evens out. Precipitation for the most part has been well below normal since March in most places. One thing I have noticed since 2009 is that one extreme run tends to be backed up by an extreme run in the opposite direction. 2009-2012 was one of the wildest, craziest periods we've ever had, and since then it couldn't be more quiet.

Incredibly dry here in Dobbs Ferry, grass in unshaded areas is totally brown. Trees starting to drop dead leaves, too. Definitely been a very arid stretch since the tropical downpours we had in June.

We missed that in wantagh. So it's even drier. I just had to water like crazy on campus in Manhattan

Anyone know the final high in the park?

We missed that in wantagh. So it's even drier. I just had to water like crazy on campus in Manhattan

Anyone know the final high in the park?

We're definitely heading back into drought conditions across the area. Most of NYC metro is in D0, but parts of LI and the CT coastline are in D1. Those numbers may be getting an upgrade with hot and dry conditions continuing.

Two near misses for me. 89 both yesterday and today. Going to need the next three days as 90 to produce a heat wave. Final August temperature departure is +0.8, the warmest month of the summer relative to normal (and edged out July in absolute temperatures by 0.1). High for the summer was 93.9F. Looks like I'll make it through another year with no 95F+ (none since July 2013). JJA departure of +0.33.

Precip, -1.24 departure for JJA, and -8.53 for 2015 thus far. Very dry year.

Archived