• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 10-20 Heavy Rain/Storms/Remnants

A-L-E-K

Do you not remember last August? It's always a concern here.

1. The August 2014 event was a once in a 100 year occurence. Very unlikely that any of us will live to see anything of that magnitude again, especially since we're not in a flood prone or tropical region.

2. Not to downplay how historic August 2014 was, but the problems wouldn't have been nearly as bad from if not for our archaic and decaying drainage system in SE Michigan that hasn't had any signifcant maintenance or upgrades in at least several decades. To put things in perspective, 4" in a span of 1-2 hours is certainly a lot of rain, but it took 2-3 times of that to shut down parts of OK/TX.

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. The August 2014 event was a once in a 100 year occurance. Very unlikely that any of us will live to see anything of that magnitude again, especially since we're not in a clood prone or tropical region.

2. Not to downplay August 2014, but the problems wouldn't have been nearly as bad from if not for our archaic and decaying drainage system in SE Michigan that hasn't had any signifcant maintenance or upgrades in at least several decades.

Okay my point was aimed at the second part. We suffer from bad infrastructure that leads to many issues. Aka the Southfield always flooding. I also know that this event is pretty anomalous but not quite so much as the one in August 2014.

I could see the flashes of lightning easily 50-70 miles away to the north as I was coming home this evening. Been raining moderately for a while now. 1.09" of rain today so far.

Drive safe if you're out in this deluge.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT  

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL  

803 PM CDT MON JUN 15 2015  

.TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON  

.DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.  

..REMARKS..  

0740 PM TORNADO 5 E SYMERTON 41.33N 87.96W  

06/15/2015 WILL IL EMERGENCY MNGR  

MULTIPLE REPORTS OF FUNNELS MOVING UP AND DOWN,  

OCCASIONALLY TOUCHING THE GROUND. REPORTED IN WILTON  

TOWNSHIP.  

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT  

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL  

816 PM CDT MON JUN 15 2015  

.TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON  

.DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.  

..REMARKS..  

0800 PM HEAVY RAIN 1 SW OAK PARK 41.88N 87.80W  

06/15/2015 M3.07 INCH COOK IL COCORAHS  

TOTAL SO FAR. NO TRAFFIC MOVING EAST BOUND ON THE  

EISENHOWER EXPRESSWAY.  

Bill's moisture is certainly going to be a player in our regional wx later this week.  And I certainly didn't expect a tornado near Manteno today with the concern focused on flooding rains.

Some of the forecast soundings in the next few days south of the front/in advance of Bill are something...like ground scraping LCLs.  So these random pop up tornadoes are probably going to continue to be a possibility.

Having a real hard time getting home from Geneva. Flooding everywhere, and I don't trust my wife's Elantra in any water.

We drove from DKB to St Charles tonight from 6pm to 6:45pm and I have to say it was exactly what I imagine a hurricane to be like (probably not though). It was just solid 2" per hour quality downpour the entire time. I'm sure I was traveling under and with a large cell the entire time.

0z NAM takes the remnants of Bill to the central MO/AR border at hour 84. Gets to around Tulsa OK by hour 60 so very slow movement for 24 hours later.

Getting slower.  It's almost laughable how fast the NAM was initially. 

I'm still more interested in the runs after landfall.

Not liking what I'm seeing here. At least 3 bands of moderate/heavy rain look to push through tonight. To my south, Lima, OH had 1.5-3" of rain in about 1-2 hrs. Lots of flooding there. The rest of this rain + runoff will pose a risk for widespread flooding tonight in NW Ohio.

0z GFS is actually very similar to the NAM. Same position at hour 84 and eventually tracks through S IL/S IN/S OH.

00z GGEM also dramatically slower...I think it outdid the previous crazy runs as it dumps tremendously heavy amounts in some areas.

The scenario could be changing here to one where we see a much slower progression (storm gets left behind for a while) instead of a faster translation that had been shown, but again, I'm a little hesitant to bite yet.

Archived