• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
June gloom or glory? Pattern discussion moving into the first month of met summer

weathafella

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That kind of happened in June 2009....the north was frigid and the southeast was a torch

I feel like the more classic correlations have not worked out at times lately.  The west still is warm, but pretty interesting to see the south so warm too. I was arguing against the soil moisture fetish people. Sure it may bring down temps for a time, but get some good srn Plains sun to cook that soil, and the soil won't stay that moist for long, if we do get 500mb ridging.

I feel like the more classic correlations have not worked out at times lately.  The west still is warm, but pretty interesting to see the south so warm too. I was arguing against the soil moisture fetish people. Sure it may bring down temps for a time, but get some good srn Plains sun to cook that soil, and the soil won't stay that moist for long, if we do get 500mb ridging.

Yeah it looks like the models want to do a Tip Sonoran heat Release into the middle of the country and then it gets crunched south as it tries to head east...so we miss out but the southeast gets it.

That kind of happened in June 2009....the north was frigid and the southeast was a torch

Though that frigidity was based largely on incessant clouds and rain rather than CAA; for June 9-30 I had just one rain-free day, 9.76" precip, and temps averaged 65/52.  Not sure whether that weakens the point or strengthens it.

These highs are more like autumn than near the solstice in summer.

If we didn't have such short nights, you'd probably get 30s. :lol:

Had 39 on June 20, 2004, so would not be too unusual to approach that again at my cold-pocket microclimate.  I've even recorded 3 sub-40 mornings in July over 17 yr of records here.

Archived