Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 15th-16th Severe Events

andyhb

230 mph near gate-to-gate on 2237z KFDR scan

I caught a 230+ kts (265+mph) gate-to-gate on the 2247 scan. Remind me...what's the record?

RRLBqPg.png

This even saturated out my highest scaled AWIPS-like color table. I've never seen that happen before. Also, look at that donut hole at 12,000 ft.

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We saw the wedge from a distance west of Tipton looking WSW then got a better view of it as it became a large cone closer to our vantage point. Amazing structure as well and didn't want to play with the notch with so many chasers out. 

What's amazing is how much better the surface dew points were. Models were all consistent on mid 60's yesterday for today but we had low 70's, not hard to believe with all the rain they've had here.

Staying in SPS tonight and love how the coming week looks. 

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

TORNADO WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TULSA OK

1022 PM CDT SAT MAY 16 2015

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TULSA HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

EAST CENTRAL OSAGE COUNTY IN NORTHEAST OKLAHOMA...

WASHINGTON COUNTY IN NORTHEAST OKLAHOMA...

* UNTIL 1045 PM CDT

* AT 1021 PM CDT...A CONFIRMED TORNADO WAS LOCATED 9 MILES NORTH OF

WALNUT CREEK STATE PARK...AND MOVING NORTHEAST AT 25 MPH.

HAZARD...DAMAGING TORNADO AND QUARTER SIZE HAIL.

SOURCE...WEATHER SPOTTERS CONFIRMED TORNADO.

Tornado may get close to the Tulsa radar.

OKC145-170445-/O.CON.KTSA.TO.W.0039.000000T0000Z-150517T0445Z/WAGONER OK-1137 PM CDT SAT MAY 16 2015...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR NORTHWESTERN WAGONERCOUNTY UNTIL 1145 PM CDT...AT 1135 PM CDT...A CONFIRMED TORNADO WAS LOCATED 6 MILES NORTHEAST OFONETA...AND MOVING NORTHEAST AT 50 MPH.HAZARD...DAMAGING TORNADO.SOURCE...WEATHER SPOTTERS CONFIRMED TORNADO.

Really frustrating day for me chasing.  I made bad decisions chasing early instead of just going to the area near Childress as I had planned.  The cell near Quail was my first distraction and when it became apparent that I wasn't going to see that tornado due to the rain I then wasted time on the cell that later produced near Elk City.  Of course, this was after I had left it trying to to my target area but by this point I got cutoff by the cells that merged into a line.  

By the time I was able to finally get south, the cell near Elmer caused so much damage I couldn't get through.  I saw a few destroyed farm buildings and a lot of farm machinery tossed around and dismantled.  Saw some metal wrapped around a tree (looked like siding) and tons of downed trees and power liens.  The most amazing thing of all was that amid all this destruction the only home we saw was a mobile home that at most seemed to have some shingles lost.  Those folks were extremely lucky.

Tried to get south on the cell near wichita falls but simply couldn't make it.  Did notice a series of grain silos nearby that were utterly smashed.  Not sure if that was from a tornado or just winds, but it appeared they went down like a series of dominos.  

Learned a valuable lesson about not letting myself get out of position.  Would have surely seen the Elmer torado had I simply stuck to the original plan.  You live you learn.

Archived