• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter: just can't compete with Maple Hollow.

eekuasepinniW

One thing that I noticed locally and was surprised that the Stowe Village CoCoRAHS only came in with 98.8".  That's like over 2 feet less than I measured throughout the season.  The liquid equivalent/precip amounts seem fine and in the storms I core, they are usually pretty close, but that snow observation has to be a once per day morning measurement.  

Actually going to go through CoCoRAHS to compare my data with his to see where the big differences are... but looks like CoCoRAHS has it listed as 108.2".  That's still over a foot less than me, but if I'm measuring diligently (3 times per day, one at 5am, once at 2-4pm, and once at 10pm) I could see that producing the difference.

I also see a couple events right off the bat where I was higher by quite a bit... November 27th, February 2, February 23 for starters...and a quick looks also shows those events were all high-ratio fluff events (Thanksgiving Day deform band, fluffy synoptic snowstorm, and Feb 23 was surprise warning snows from like 0.25" of QPF) 

It appears our numbers were identical for the wetter snows in December, and diverge a bit for the high ratio events.  

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually going to go through CoCoRAHS to compare my data with his to see where the big differences are... but looks like CoCoRAHS has it listed as 108.2".  That's still over a foot less than me, but if I'm measuring diligently (3 times per day, one at 5am, once at 2-4pm, and once at 10pm) I could see that producing the difference.

I also see a couple events right off the bat where I was higher by quite a bit... November 27th, February 2, February 23 for starters...and a quick looks also shows those events were all high-ratio fluff events (Thanksgiving Day deform band, fluffy synoptic snowstorm, and Feb 23 was surprise warning snows from like 0.25" of QPF) 

It appears our numbers were identical for the wetter snows in December, and diverge a bit for the high ratio events.  

we slantstick?

we slantstick?

lol I'm not afraid to bring up the differences in discussion here because I have confidence in my measuring. When I have some time I'm going to review my photos for those events as well.

In the past I have been closer to his numbers than this year...maybe owing to the super-fluff events we got this season? His snowpack numbers look on par or even higher than mine though, which is why I wonder if it's a once a day measurement.

Maybe 2-3 miles makes some of that difference too? I mean you go from 108" to 165" in like 6 miles as the crow flies. One can also see from the snowfall reports that in this area that it's anywhere from like 110" to 135" and even 144" that JSpin had (not plotted). There's a guy with 119.3" in Morrisville, similar elevation, which would be closer to what I had.

Who knows, just saw that and thought it was interesting.

Excellent!

For the next few days it's probably the only road in VT where you can find patches of snow near the road elevation haha. Wind loading of the gullies and terrain depressions have left some patches laying around, even mini-avalanche piles from snow that sloughed off the cliffs during winter, but melting very quick.

Perfect spring day. 72F nice refreshing east seabreeze and low dews. Perfect placement in regards to being far enough inland for it to be pleasant while not hot. Most of New England is either too warm or too cool for me. My pond has fallen 3 feet this week.

86/38 at MVL around here...MesoNet showing 2000ft and higher are upper 70s to low 80s...with mid to upper 80s under 1000ft.

Dews in the 30s though making this feel like a dusty desert.

Was driving down RT 100 and car said 88F, probably right based on current mountain valley obs.

BTV posted these to their facebook page...

08MAY15A.jpg

Thanks for the update PF - not sure if CoCoRaHS data were used in the overall interpolation, but things look on track using my numbers.  I recorded 144.7” in the Nov-Apr period and they’ve got us in the >130” mauve shading.  For the Dec-Feb liquid, I recorded 10.11” and they’ve got some of that orange 10”-12” shading for us as well, with plenty of the yellow 8”-10” there, putting us right on the transition.

As you noted on the BTV NWS Facebook Page, it would be nice to have the Nov-Apr liquid to match up with the Nov-Apr snow (probably a decent comparison since snowfall started right in the beginning of November and carried through to near the end of April.  For the Nov-Apr period I recorded 17.68” of liquid equivalent.

On the given maps, the closest site I see to us is that site in northern Washington County a bit to our northeast, which was 133”/9.79” for snow/liquid (ratio=13.58).  My data come in at 144.7”/10.11” for a slightly higher 14.31 ratio.  The difference in the ratios is ~5%, which isn’t much considering potential variations in snow density and measurement intervals, so I’d say there’s some consistency there.

On the liquid equivalent map you can see that obvious hot spot down in Southern Vermont, as was noted on the BTV NWS Facebook Page with respect to all the storms that hit down south this season.  But, even with all that liquid, the Northern Greens off into the Northeast Kingdom still came out on top in terms of snowfall.  I wonder how much getting the liquid for the whole six-month period to match up with the snowfall will change that discrepancy.

Man, what a gorgeous 70 degree morning here.

88F for the high yesterday at BTV.

Remember I mentioned the MVL precipitation numbers.... I think we can toss these precip amounts from that ASOS.  2.64" of precip from January 1 to date...-6.44" from normal.

All the CoCoRAHS sites in the area are like 8-10" year to date.  Like Stowe 0.2sw is over 8" of liquid on the year, compared with 2.64" at the ASOS.

88F yesterday at MVL as well!  Off a low of 42F...so nice 46 degree diurnal swing.

Impressive! And enjoyable lol.

Remember I mentioned the MVL precipitation numbers.... I think we can toss these precip amounts from that ASOS.  2.64" of precip from January 1 to date...-6.44" from normal.

All the CoCoRAHS sites in the area are like 8-10" year to date.  Like Stowe 0.2sw is over 8" of liquid on the year, compared with 2.64" at the ASOS.

attachicon.gifMVL.jpg

Yeah it's deifnitely underdone, but we are running a pretty good deficit. Almost 4" here at BTV, and 4.5" at MPV.

Impressive! And enjoyable lol.

Yeah it's deifnitely underdone, but we are running a pretty good deficit. Almost 4" here at BTV, and 4.5" at MPV.

Yeah true, and it's hard to tell how much of a deficit at the CoCoRAHS stations due to low period of records.

If MVL was to be -4" it would put it in the 5-6" range instead of 2-3". I'd imagine though that the ASOS "normal" liquid would be lower than say CoCoRAHS or Coop stations due to how the ASOS historically deals with under reporting snow water amounts.

Yeah true, and it's hard to tell how much of a deficit at the CoCoRAHS stations due to low period of records.

If MVL was to be -4" it would put it in the 5-6" range instead of 2-3". I'd imagine though that the ASOS "normal" liquid would be lower than say CoCoRAHS or Coop stations due to how the ASOS historically deals with under reporting snow water amounts.

Yeah that sounds more believable. MPV is at 5.78", BTV 5.92", 1V4 8.36". And that's probably a good assumption too.

Last snow pile (from plow) at the bottom of my hill about to go...

Winter Storm Warning for the Aspen CO area above 9000 for 4-8".  Bro's house is around 8600.  Could be an Aspen bender as looks like trees are leafed out.  Snows coming over the mountains now.  Aspen at 8000 is 42/32F.   Hey nothing interesting here can just watch my brothers webcam and see what happens later this Pm and evening.

post-268-0-62840400-1431195342_thumb.jpg

Yeah that sounds more believable. MPV is at 5.78", BTV 5.92", 1V4 8.36". And that's probably a good assumption too.

Is 1V4 precipitation from an ASOS type gauge or is it melted down and recorded by the Fairbanks Museum?  That's a big difference from MPV and was wondering if 1V4 had better sampling of precip that fell as snow?  That 8.36" is more in line with what the CoCoRAHS stations are showing as opposed to what the primary ASOS stations show.

WU has 1V4 at 8.36" so that's from the station.

Surprised it's several inches higher than MPV...it's not like some convective t-storms dumped more at 1V4? And St Johnsbury is a classic SE flow downslope zone in winter synoptic events, while MPV upslopes in those events.

1V4 is usually a precip hole, so 3" more than MPV is interesting.

Last snow pile (from plow) at the bottom of my hill about to go...

Winter Storm Warning for the Aspen CO area above 9000 for 4-8".  Bro's house is around 8600.  Could be an Aspen bender as looks like trees are leafed out.  Snows coming over the mountains now.  Aspen at 8000 is 42/32F.   Hey nothing interesting here can just watch my brothers webcam and see what happens later this Pm and evening.

A lot of thundersnow has been reported across the state....Telluride earlier, 4BM, CCU, and 0CO.

I'm always amazed at how much snow they can get in May and how deep the snow often still is. Esp above about 10,000 feet. It always makes me sad thinking how much awesome skiing could be done in May there but most of the resorts are closed down by late April....really it's only A-Basin that stays open.

I know it's for obvious business reasons, but as a skier you always feel that all that deep snow is "wasted".

A lot of thundersnow has been reported across the state....Telluride earlier, 4BM, CCU, and 0CO.

I'm always amazed at how much snow they can get in May and how deep the snow often still is. Esp above about 10,000 feet. It always makes me sad thinking how much awesome skiing could be done in May there but most of the resorts are closed down by late April....really it's only A-Basin that stays open.

I know it's for obvious business reasons, but as a skier you always feel that all that deep snow is "wasted".

A-Basin had some powder conditions this morning from some posts on their FB page.

Crested Butte, Colorado woke up to some May snowfall...though they are a town that has recorded snowfall in every month of the year.

See this is Colorado... its May, and yet when it precipitated it was snow, and then immediately after stopping, the sun comes out.  60 degrees and beautiful, then it gets cold enough to snow, then it goes back to being beautiful.

11150258_1100956366588068_16703780832673

A-Basin had some powder conditions this morning from some posts on their FB page.

Crested Butte, Colorado woke up to some May snowfall...though they are a town that has recorded snowfall in every month of the year.

See this is Colorado... its May, and yet when it precipitated it was snow, and then immediately after stopping, the sun comes out.  60 degrees and beautiful, then it gets cold enough to snow, then it goes back to being beautiful.

Yeah it's like dream skiing weather out there...even in Feb and March it does that frequently (more like 40s in February when its not snowing unless you get one of those rare deep cold airmasses that makes it over the Divide)

Getting smoked right now....gotta love how Denver has joined in on the fun....32F and moderate snow at DEN...0CO has dropped into the teens with heavy snow now, lol:

2015051002_metars_den.gif

Yeah it's like dream skiing weather out there...even in Feb and March it does that frequently (more like 40s in February when its not snowing unless you get one of those rare deep cold airmasses that makes it over the Divide)

Getting smoked right now....gotta love how Denver has joined in on the fun....32F and moderate snow at DEN...0CO has dropped into the teens with heavy snow now, lol:

Yep, the Western US mountains are such a different world from out here.  Even Heavenly, which is know for it's 'cement' snow has what I always thought of in my eastern-raised head as magic snow conditions.  Something about the combination of elevation and humidity and whatever else makes for great skiing conditions even after weather that would kill the ungroomed surfaces back east.  Colorado and Utah seem to have that effect even more, although of course my one trip to Snowbird had thundersnow that was as wet as anything I've seen anywhere.

Archived