CHSVol
3/1-3/2 Winter Storm

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12Z run of the RPM accumulated snowfall

and 15Z run of the RPM.

RPM has been pretty consistent over the past several cycles of runs. Latest run shows little to no mixing over NYC and LI except the extreme south shore. This is per whatever algorithm they use for determining the R/PLZR/SN line.

If you had to ask me I would say NYC and LI will get just as much snow if not more than most of CT, RI, and SE MA. Those 2-4" amounts the NWS is forecasting are going to bust in my opinion, 4-6" is more reasonable.

post-12274-0-79325900-1425229374_thumb.p

post-12274-0-65157600-1425229380_thumb.p

12Z run of the RPM accumulated snowfall

and 15Z run of the RPM.

RPM has been pretty consistent over the past several cycles of runs. Latest run shows little to no mixing over NYC and LI except the extreme south shore. This is per whatever algorithm they use for determining the R/PLZR/SN line.

If you had to ask me I would say NYC and LI will get just as much snow if not more than most of CT, RI, and SE MA. Those 2-4" amounts the NWS is forecasting are going to bust in my opinion, 4-6" is more reasonable.

Thanks.

Those two runs don't look that impressive for NYC. What's the rational behind your estimate for NYC? I'm just curious. I have the same feeling.

With the 850s and 925s still cold Upton sees some good snow growth .

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT FOR THE ENTIRE AREA.
STILL EXPECT 2-4 INCHES OF SNOW WITH UP TO A TENTH OF AN INCH OF
ICE ACROSS NYC/LONG ISLAND/NE NJ/COASTAL WESTCHESTER AND
FAIRFIELD. EXPECT AT LEAST 4-6 INCHES OF SNOW ELSEWHERE...AND WITH
SHORT RANGE MODELS SHOWING GOOD BANDING POTENTIAL LATE THIS
AFTERNOON AND EVENING ESPECIALLY EAST AND SNOW RATIOS OF 12 TO
1...IT IS POSSIBLE THAT PORTIONS OF SOUTHERN CT MAY REQUIRE
UPGRADE TO A SHORT-FUSED WINTER STORM WARNING.

Thanks.

Those two runs don't look that impressive for NYC. What's the rational behind your estimate for NYC? I'm just curious. I have the same feeling.

Highest axis of QPF for almost all model runs last night and today centers around NYC and LI. While ratios may be lower there than say KBDL, the increase in QPF should make up and even outweigh lower ratios. With that being said, there is still good omega within the DGZ of -12 to -18 even for NYC. 10-12:1 is still possible in and around the area.

Surface low will form just south of us today and strengthening LLJ will promote strong banding signatures over the area and into SNE. I bet we see rates of 1-1.5"/hr for a while this evening. So, if NYC and parts of northern LI stay all snow the highest amounts, in my opinion, may be found there. If we start mixing with, even for a brief time, accums. will be cut down. In these type of situations from past experience usually the greatest snowfall is just north of the R/S line where locals stay all snow.

Boston is going to have a hard time getting to 5.7 this event and I don't think they will do it, but this coupled with the next system, they should reach that 107.6 mark.

Highest axis of QPF for almost all model runs last night and today centers around NYC and LI. While ratios may be lower there than say KBDL, the increase in QPF should make up and even outweigh lower ratios. With that being said, there is still good omega within the DGZ of -12 to -18 even for NYC. 10-12:1 is still possible in and around the area.

Surface low will form just south of us today and strengthening LLJ will promote strong banding signatures over the area and into SNE. I bet we see rates of 1-1.5"/hr for a while this evening. So, if NYC and parts of northern LI stay all snow the highest amounts, in my opinion, may be found there. If we start mixing with, even for a brief time, accums. will be cut down. In these type of situations from past experience usually the greatest snowfall is just north of the R/S line where locals stay all snow.

Boston is going to have a hard time getting to 5.7 this event and I don't think they will do it, but this coupled with the next system, they should reach that 107.6 mark.

Im in Boston right now and they are going 3 to 6 for the advisory. Maybe 4 here at most. But how's it looking in the city guys?

Probably one of the only times this season its better to be in NYC than BOS.

4-7 looks reasonable.

I wouldn't mind that at all....Upton lowered their WWA amounts to 2-4 in the last update. I think thats a good call at this point. I've been expecting 2-3 so id be happy with 3. Parts of Long Island could get 4 in my opinion. The higher amounts to 6-7 (or maybe even 8) seem to be setting up a bit north of the area into CT (though it's entirely possible this does make it into parts of Long Island). Similar cutoff to what we've seen basically all winter in terms of the W/E snowfall amounts, though not as extreme and not as much potential as the larger storms to begin with

I'm feel cofident this event is mostly snow, I'm less sure about where those heavier bands set up once the surface low forms. I think I'd feel better if I was in North Haven.

The key for KNYC and Long Island is where does the 925`s get to .

Does it get  hung up at the Driscoll bridge or I80 and across the N shore of LI .

The sleet line is just to the S of Philly but as the heavier precip moves N through CNJ the cold layer is deeper and some nice banding should take place this afternoon in through Monmouth county NNJ NYC and LI .

Then its a matter of how far N and how fast does the warm punch come .

It is in the mid 20`s in DE so this is frozen . Just which frozen

I feel pretty good with a general 2-3" in the city. There will of course be some locally higher amounts in the area, especially in our northern zones. I'm concerned that the model outputs weren't factoring in the virga this morning. There's also already reports of mixing in the Philadelphia area.

Archived