e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
NYC/PHL: December 24-27th Potential

earthlight

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't worry about QPF at this stage. Even if you do, take an average of the GGEM/Euro/GFS and you come up with ~1.25" or so liquid, which is still a massive snowstorm for most.

The qpf with most of our great snowstorms was probably progged to be south of us, but the intensity of the storm shoved it north.

IOW, we'd rather have this scenario than one with a mix line close to us-- those rarely work out in our favor lol.

The qpf with most of our great snowstorms was probably progged to be south of us, but the intensity of the storm shoved it north.

IOW, we'd rather have this scenario than one with a mix line close to us-- those rarely work out in our favor lol.

There's still quite a lot that can go wrong and I want to be skeptical as possible before uncorking the champagne after the last whiff of a storm. I like the remarkable consistency on at least a significant threat at this juncture (which the last storm didn't have, some models would have it and others not, but never a unified solution like this), but if the Western ridge begins to flatten on future runs or the current low in the Gulf of Maine sits for days and doesn't get out of the way, it could become suppressed and go out to sea like the UKMET tonight had. I really want to see this S/W progged to slam into CA in 48 hours properly sampled and the other features mentioned to stay favorable, and get this threat to within 96 hours. It does seem like it keeps getting pushed back, and it's just hard for me to get excited at a 108-144 hour storm in a year like this. Hopefully it does happen though, and I agree that the precip is likely underdone if the storm is really going to bomb like that off the NJ coast and slow down. That's a classic 12-18" if not more storm for us.

There's still quite a lot that can go wrong and I want to be skeptical as possible before uncorking the champagne after the last whiff of a storm. I like the remarkable consistency on at least a significant threat at this juncture (which the last storm didn't have, some models would have it and others not, but never a unified solution like this), but if the Western ridge begins to flatten on future runs or the current low in the Gulf of Maine sits for days and doesn't get out of the way, it could become suppressed and go out to sea like the UKMET tonight had. I really want to see this S/W progged to slam into CA in 48 hours properly sampled and the other features mentioned to stay favorable, and get this threat to within 96 hours. It does seem like it keeps getting pushed back, and it's just hard for me to get excited at a 108-144 hour storm in a year like this. Hopefully it does happen though, and I agree that the precip is likely underdone if the storm is really going to bomb like that off the NJ coast and slow down. That's a classic 12-18" if not more storm for us.

Yeah, especially after the last storm, we dont want a big let down lol.

Its annoying to see these storms slam into CA and then go nowhere lol. Is that where our STJ is lol? Im sure they would love for us to take it off their hands.

This was posted in the main forum to address why the precip may be more compacted on the data:

1. Limited moisture when compared to the greats like anything from last year. It will pick up moisture for sure, but it won't be quite as intense as past HECS events.

2. Phasing job means sharp vorticity max that begins to get channelized toward the Mid Atlantic coast. This decreases PVA across much of the interior regions.

3. Atlantic moisture and frontogensis will focus the main lift over the coastal areas and ageostrophic flow would produce subsidence to the west of this feature.

All this makes for a tight UVM center but an explosive one.

You know some of these post I read is worth paying for on the entertainment value alone, LOL, I sit here and piss my pants some days on some of the complete nonsense written here while others are on top of there game for example EARTHLIGHT which brings something to the table everyday here while others have in clue what there talking about, Names withheld to protect the innocent.

Anyway, yes the 0Z models look great but for example the Canadian run I analyzed this evening tells me if it verified there is mixing problems especially in NYC area proper. The Storm does have the potential to be either a MECS or HECS and I agree with one poster that says it's early and almost anything can go wrong at this point, We gotten screwed so many times thus far this season that I won't be happy until it's snowing here and with the remarks " SNOW INCREASED 1 " on the nearby airport Metars.

Enjoy this folks it's not every year we can sit here and talk about a real snow threat around Christmas day I have seen plenty in my day where it rains or it's near 50 degrees, Also please don't get me wrong I don't mean to piss in anyone's cornflakes it's just a reality check because it's not a good idea to be talking about snowfall amounts this far out that is one of Kocin's golden rules that forecasting snowfall amounts this far out hardly verify. I for one is pulling for this thing I love a good thumping snowstorm especially if it's going to get me out from going to my mother in laws.

06z NAM is not great at 78-84 as it is completely missing the northern stream feature the globals have over the North-Central US at that time.

yeah i noticed this, good thing its the nam lol this has late phase written all over it imo

Euro ens look great, 6z gfs up next :snowman:

Archived