• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
NYC/PHL: December 24-27th Potential

earthlight

QPF a bit sketchy 5 to 6 days out, if this were to varify I suspect qpf would look similar to past 970ish storms, plus lack of STJ in Nina will cut some back. Regardless and huge HUGE plus is 3 out 4 of the major globals have this 5 days out.

QPF is underdone in this range and often is overdone in the short range....often times the model QPFs in the 36-60 hour range are the most accurate, inside of that time the NAM tends to be very overdone and quite often the GFS as well....the Euro personally I don't ever like for QPF.

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the GGEM were a perfect prog, and it overdeepens everything toward the later time periods, Long Island would flip to rain.

The GGEM is representing its typical bias and the NOGAPS is doing the same on their 00Z runs....the GEM would keep NYC snow but would cause dryslot concerns verbatim....also be wary since the GEM has been perhaps the most inconsistent the last 2-3 days with a couple of flip flops.

You better have checked out the moon!

The moon has been beautiful tonight....very interesting eclipse with a pinkish aura at the start and then basically the darkest moon silhouette I had ever "seen.' Followed a great moonrise tonight while out for a jog as the sun set to the west over the Hudson R. Some very pretty scenery lately here, definitely helped out by the low sun, biting NW winds, and patchy snow cover.

27.4/18

The moon has been beautiful tonight....very interesting eclipse with a pinkish aura at the start and then basically the darkest moon silhouette I had ever "seen.' Followed a great moonrise tonight while out for a jog as the sun set to the west over the Hudson R. Some very pretty scenery lately here, definitely helped out by the low sun, biting NW winds, and patchy snow cover.

27.4/18

Strongly agree. I see no reason to sleep when I have such beautiful displays ongoing outside my window. I can sleep on the average day. This is not one of them. There's something about looking at the moon, and I've watched it during this entire eclipse, it's almost an out of body experience. Truly puts things in perspective in every sense of the word.

27.4/18

That's interesting-- usually we get really dark lunar eclipses when there are volcanic ejecta in the atmosphere.....

Strongly agree. I see no reason to sleep when I have such beautiful displays ongoing outside my window. I can sleep on the average day. This is not one of them. There's something about looking at the moon, and I've watched it during this entire eclipse, it's almost an out of body experience. Truly puts things in perspective in every sense of the word.

Hopefully the 6z GFS can put things even more in perspective since I'm up at this hour anyway.

Exactly-- plus timing also helps ;) I got my sleep in between 7 PM and midnight lol. Got on here just in time to see the 0z models and make plans to see the eclipse ;)

i got this feeling as well while i was watching it..Just purely awesome :D

Yeah, nothing too dramatic though. The shortwave might be a hair slower. Can't believe we're analyzing the 30 hr 06z GFS.

what else you gonna do at 445am lol....ill tell you one thing. If we get this snow and we get a clear night with no wind, wowsers, i could see temps in the single digits in the burbs and mid to low teens for the cities

Yeah, nothing too dramatic though. The shortwave might be a hair slower. Can't believe we're analyzing the 30 hr 06z GFS.

Haha, we're like microanalyzing it! Its still much better than that one dude who has like 2 posts and kept asking DT and HM in the main 0z thread if central long island would get rain or snow and if they would get a blizzard 5 days out. That was kind of embarassing and I half expected someone to blow up on him lol.

what else you gonna do at 445am lol....ill tell you one thing. If we get this snow and we get a clear night with no wind, wowsers, i could see temps in the single digits in the burbs and mid to low teens for the cities

That is pretty cold, but we've seen that before. Heck, I remember seeing highs in the upper teens in late December back a few years ago-- but no snowcover :( It's been a few years though since we've been consistently this cold in December. It's too bad Dec 1 wasnt November 31 lol, because that was the last of the really mild days.

That is pretty cold, but we've seen that before. Heck, I remember seeing highs in the upper teens in late December back a few years ago-- but no snowcover :( It's been a few years though since we've been consistently this cold in December. It's too bad Dec 1 wasnt November 31 lol, because that was the last of the really mild days.

the neg departures for this month would be sick if we didnt have that +10 the first day of dec. Even with that i think phl is running -5

the neg departures for this month would be sick if we didnt have that +10 the first day of dec. Even with that i think phl is running -5

I know lol, it would be like Dec 1989 kind of departures..... hopefully better in terms of snow.

If you look at the profile for Dec 1989, its pretty crazy-- mean temp of 26 degrees and like 1 inch of snow!

Archived