• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Valentine's Day weekend storm discussion part 2

Sickman

From Clint in the New England forum (maybe explains a bit the whole "surface should be responding" notion :

"Will be a historic storm at mid-levels though!

Development is being hindered IMO by the fact that the cold dry air has pushed towards Bermuda. That'll slightly hinder consolidated development at the surface with the best moisture so far east initially, and that in turn doesn't provide positive feedback for more rapid intensification and organization aloft.

The results are these strung out type solutions which are perfectly valid. MEH"

Overall though, I think this would be bad for the New England area though and not us really. We were never going to be part of that super band anyway (too young to be in Dream Theater during their prime). I still think we're good for 2-4" for most all of us with more parts of eastern LI/WCT/SNY

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These were overall positive trends again for our area. Not wishcasting, just a fact. The ULL is in better placement on all the models. The GFS is north and now is against its ensembles and every other model in terms of ULL placement. Still some time for positive trends here. Hopefully the continued better evolution aloft translates to an increase in QPF. We'll see, I suppose.

From Clint in the New England forum (maybe explains a bit the whole "surface should be responding" notion :

"Will be a historic storm at mid-levels though!

Development is being hindered IMO by the fact that the cold dry air has pushed towards Bermuda. That'll slightly hinder consolidated development at the surface with the best moisture so far east initially, and that in turn doesn't provide positive feedback for more rapid intensification and organization aloft.

The results are these strung out type solutions which are perfectly valid. MEH"

Overall though, I think this would be bad for the New England area though and not us really. We were never going to be part of that super band anyway (too young to be in Dream Theater during their prime). I still think we're good for 2-4" for most all of us with more parts of eastern LI/WCT/SNY

2-4 for us and boston gets the shaft? I could live with that

2-4 for us and boston gets the shaft? I could live with that

Haha well I believe Boston would still get 6-10" even if the less impressive models are closer to the truth.....not exactly shafted, but maybe a Bostonian bust (which means 1/2 of what some expect, rather than 1/4" of what some expect around our areas)

People here are obsessed with Boston to a comical extent. Yes, I am upset that we've narrowly missed on a few storms and they've hit the lottery. But why would people here be ok with a 2-4 inch storm so long as Boston gets shafted? If NYC and Boston get no snow the rest of winter, ours sucks and theirs was still record breaking. At this point, I don't want nuisance snow; I want a legitimate big snowstorm (the bigger the better). This storm may not deliver the goods, but I'll still hold out hope.

Have you seen RGEM?

im telling u guys rgem is the best model at this range and your not listening. It's literally got the low at a perfect spot. I wouldn't be surprised if someone in eastern Long Island gets a foot with blizzard warnings

Edit: it's not alone either. The driest model is all alone and as much as I got to like the GFS this winter I'll take the rgem over it in the 48hrs or less before impact

The main reason why we haven't done well is because this has been a northern stream dominated Winter. We need Southern stream involvement to inject moisture from the Gulf. Otherwise we're relying on whatever comes in off the Ocean and typically by then the systems are too far gone. NYC and LI have done quite well because they are further East. And the far interior has done well because of the initial overrunning that has been coming in with these systems before they redevelop. This results in a bit of a moisture hole that is focused over NJ. 

im telling u guys rgem is the best model at this range and your not listening. It's literally got the low at a perfect spot. I wouldn't be surprised if someone in eastern Long Island gets a foot with blizzard warnings

Edit: it's not alone either. The driest model is all alone and as much as I got to like the GFS this winter I'll take the rgem over it in the 48hrs or less before impact

I disagree to a extent, the rgem has been playing catch up all year, it usually gets the solution correct but not until we're within 24hrs or earlier

I disagree to a extent, the rgem has been playing catch up all year, it usually gets the solution correct but not until we're within 24hrs or earlier

well if ur saying its a catch up model, than fine I can understand that but It has a good track and plenty of qpf for us which totally makes sense with the track and strength. It's only gotten wetter the last few runs I expect New York city to get .4" around 3-6 in the five boroughs!

Yea. I don't get it. If you look at the upper level maps, it should show a borderline Mecs for us. A track that far south should do that with such a dynamic system we're dealing with.

It may come down to nowcast time with the Norlun placement which the models usually struggle with more than 24-36 hrs out. There have been numerous Norluns that models have missed even under 24 hrs.

Archived