joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 17 Miller A Threat

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was saying earlier.....toss the SREFs and the NAM (due to lack of reliability) and go with the GFS/RGEM/Euro.....falls right in line with a 2-4" snowfall NW to SE across the NENJ/NYC areas.....10-15" around Boston

I agree, this looks like a general 2-4 nyc and LI, 1-2 north and west, 4+ south of nyc

These miller a's many times track 75 miles or so further north then models depict even up to 18 hours out

Its been a weird year with these things; even I've been thrown a few times...including yesterday & the CAD event a couple weeks ago...thinking it was going to snow decently.  Thus, though my forecasting credibility has taken a hit; I will say, FWIW, that the snow maps (printing out fairly uniform amounts in an almost west to east fashion at the lower latitudes) is a pretty rare sort of thing...you almost never see it...these things *usually* hook a little north as they swing east...so a slight north trend seems possible...but, as I said, this has been a confounding winter...so we'll just have to see how it plays out. 

Its been a weird year with these things; even I've been thrown a few times...including yesterday & the CAD event a couple weeks ago...thinking it was going to snow decently.  Thus, though my forecasting credibility has taken a hit; I will say, FWIW, that the snow maps (printing out fairly uniform amounts in an almost west to east fashion at the lower latitudes) is a pretty rare sort of thing...you almost never see it...these things *usually* hook a little north as they swing east...so a slight north trend seems possible...but, as I said, this has been a confounding winter...so we'll just have to see how it plays out. 

Yeah I feel something off about this. Storm is looking very decent and our departing storm seems to be exiting a little faster A little shift north and NYC can get 6" Today is gonna be a big day to see if we can get any improvements at all, which most certainly is possible

Yeah I feel something off about this. Storm is looking very decent and our departing storm seems to be exiting a little faster A little shift north and NYC can get 6" Today is gonna be a big day to see if we can get any improvements at all, which most certainly is possible

The NNM & ARW...which are always suppressed this far out...were pretty amped...maybe a red flag?  If not; might have to put out a white flag for the whole winter...

One last thought; the Law of Averages...every storm this winter has trended worse for this area as the event got closer this winter...this is simply weird and not commensurate with the concept of basic random chance...eventually one will likely trend better. 

The NNM & ARW...which are always suppressed this far out...were pretty amped...maybe a red flag?  If not; might have to put out a white flag for the whole winter...

The storm that just departed also is the biggest storm we have seen .. COULD be messing with the models but don't take my word for it

surface shows cold front extending from the storm all the way to the Midwest just something to point out

The way teleconnections forecasts are looking, this may be our last threat period.

I just saw the projections and they are ugly. Looks like we have retrogression in the day 10+ and loose the +pna and -epo/-wpo, low heights develop over Alaska and we go into an rna pattern in the pacific. If that happens we better pray for a -ao and -nao or we are in big trouble. We will need a -nao at the very least if that happens. ENSO has been neutral, la nada for awhile, so it was only a matter of time before the long term +pna broke down even with the background +pdo, it could only sustain for so long

I've mentioned this before, if we do not get enough snow Tuesday, it will be interesting to see if Central Park gets to normal snowfall this year.

Not having an El Niño hurt us. Even with the +pdo you can only sustain a +pna for so long without the Nino tropical convection forcing to keep it in place. The MJO also looks very unfavorable as we go forward. We need the nao and ideally the ao to flip too very very soon cause it looks like the PAC is about to breakdown and with projected lowering of heights over Alaska, it's bye bye -epo if the models are correct

According to someone in the Philly thread the 6z GFS did move about 25-50 miles further north or northwest with minor increases in QPF. Have to see what today's model runs bring if anything.

Yeah it did. If the confluence ends up being a little weaker than progged it would probably move another 20-30 miles further north. Still think 2-4" for the city with more south and then 6+ for SNJ.

Storm snowfall forecasts have been trimmed back a bit by the NWS, as the model consensus track has shifted a bit to the SE of the 40N/70W benchmark.  Current projections are for 2-4" for NYC and adjacent NENJ/LI (a bit more on the south shore) and 3-5" for Central Jersey/PA, south of 78 (Middlesex, Monmouth, Mercer, Somerset and Hunterson and Bucks/Montco in PA), where Advisories are up and 4-6" south of there for all of SE PA and South Jersey, where Warnings are up; 1-3" are now forecast for NW NJ, NE PA and the Hudson Valley.  Maps below.  Would love to get 4", which would put me at 30" for the winter. 

StormTotalSnowRange.png

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

Archived