joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 17 Miller A Threat

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

H5 looks very favorable for at least some snow around the NYC area.  Classic PV over Hudson Bay and a temp retreating 50/50 low.  Models did not have the 50/50 several days ago.  NAO is looking slight pos which would go against any big numbers right now (12"+)....

Would say 3-6" type event right now but 5H needs to be watched carefully as always...  Don't think this escapes totally without some snow here. 

Dusting to an inch maybe 80 miles or so NW of the city... But definitely not from the city south and north for about 50 miles... Come on be realistic here!!

Your hugging 1 model... There's several models that don't show much for anyone North of the city.. Ok I'll give you 1-3. Dusting to an inch is just being conservated, cause usually the northern fringe of these progressive lows fall as either virga or are broken up by the mountains

Your hugging 1 model... There's several models that don't show much for anyone North of the city.. Ok I'll give you 1-3. Dusting to an inch is just being conservated, cause usually the northern fringe of these progressive lows fall as either virga or are broken up by the mountains

Or a mesoscale high pressure area comes out of nowhere like what happened yesterday. There are multiple avenues towards a screwjob.

I wish I could find the quote from the NWS, but from their AFD yesterday, they said that a meso high that was not forecasted too well slipped in and broke up the precip shield due to subsidence, or sinking air, hence the lower than predicted snow.

I think thats just overthinking it, to me the break in the action was well modeled, the WAA stuff moved out and then the norlun never hit us

I think thats just overthinking it, to me the break in the action was well modeled, the WAA stuff moved out and then the norlun never hit us

I wasn't expecting this to happen yesterday. 4-8 inch forecast, and my area got a coating to a third of and inch in Western Suffolk County, NY.

My pleasure.  Makes it easier and ive been seeing how well a blend of all the guidance performs. 

Only a couple more steps and you might be able to answer/address my question in the separate thread I posted, asking about model verification scores for actual snowstorms (not just overall, including the 300+ days of the year that don't really matter) and even for actual snowstorms for the NYC area.  Here's the thread link if you haven't seen it...

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/45615-do-model-verification-scores-exist-for-actual-east-coast-snowstorms/

Archived