joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014/15

snywx

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lovin the baseball chat, must be 130 AM on a Saturday ha. I agree lets go for 4 more weeks of solid winter and then sunny and 70 starting April 5th.

You were up late running the 00z Euro from your basement? Feet of snow for all.  :mapsnow:

Of course, being the 5+ day Euro, we can't put much stock in it and tomorrow it will probably show something different, but it's fun to look at!

You were up late running the 00z Euro from your basement? Feet of snow for all.  :mapsnow:

Of course, being the 5+ day Euro, we can't put much stock in it and tomorrow it will probably show something different, but it's fun to look at!

It's definitely trending the right way for the cutter as well, just can't trust it at this time range though. Maybe I'll try running the GFS out of my basement tomorrow so we can exhale.

Come on, guys, just stop looking at the models. Sunday is March 1st, winter is over and it's not going to snow again until December. The sun angle is too high, we are losing the -epo, and the western ridge is getting beat down. I spent tonight changing out my under armour for shorts and t-shirts.

That's the truth brother. Dean Wormer is dropping the big one. We heard two weeks ago that winter was over on March 1. I'm expecting rain on Sunday night, not just rain but a snowpack decimating rain causing deadly and destructive flooding. Oh wait, that was last weekend...oh no, I've gone cross eyed again.

Dropped to a low of -4 here. Dutchess county airport got to -7. Through yesterday, the station was at an average temperature for the month of 15.6 degrees. With a projected high of 25 today, that would give a departure for the day of around -20 or a little more, so we would crush the record for coldest February by about 2 degrees. What's really impressive to me is that of the last 16 days of the month, all but one has had a departure from normal of -12 degrees or more (with 7 of those days being anywhere from -19 to -26). Sadly, I think either this morning or tomorrow morning may be the last below zero mins for me this year.

As far as the storm goes, ALY has Dutchess and Ulster down for 4-6" in their snow maps this morning. They also had this little nugget in the discussion regarding the system that follows the first one:

DETERMINISTIC GUIDANCE IS ON THE WARMER SIDE OF THE
ENSEMBLE SPREAD...SO THERE MAY BE SOME HINTS THAT THE WARM SECTOR
OF THIS UPCOMING SYSTEM MAY BE A LITTLE MORE SOUTH AND EAST THAN
CURRENT GUIDANCE SUGGESTS. MOST GUIDANCE HAS HAD A WARM BIAS IN
THE LONG RANGE ALL WINTER...SO WILL JUST HAVE TO KEEP AN EYE ON
TRENDS. SPRING AND WARMER WEATHER HAVE TO ARRIVE AT SOME
POINT...BUT THE OVERALL LONG WAVE PATTERN IN NORTH AMERICA DOES
NOT LOOK LIKE THERE IS A MEANINGFUL UPPER PATTERN CHANGE TO WARMER
SPRINGLIKE WEATHER IN THE NORTHEASTERN U.S. YET.

Yea you guys are all close... I went to a fire once as a volly in rockland.. It was years back during the rockland county volly parade... Could see the smoke from the parade ending at stony points firehouse, we were one of the sober engines that day lmao.. Got to go to work

Huh, wonder where n when that was lol

Dropped to a low of -4 here. Dutchess county airport got to -7. Through yesterday, the station was at an average temperature for the month of 15.6 degrees. With a projected high of 25 today, that would give a departure for the day of around -20 or a little more, so we would crush the record for coldest February by about 2 degrees. What's really impressive to me is that of the last 16 days of the month, all but one has had a departure from normal of -12 degrees or more (with 7 of those days being anywhere from -19 to -26). Sadly, I think either this morning or tomorrow morning may be the last below zero mins for me this year.

Where do you get between-hour data for KPOU?

-8.1F for a low here

Just leaving a house fire this morning across from the commons in Monroe Any of you guys local FFs?

I'm not a fireman but I grew up in and around the fire service as there is no shortage of cops and firemen in my family and friends. I used the term 'fireman' on purpose in tribute to my uncle who retired as a Captain in the FDNY, mostly in the Bronx who insisted on calling himself a fireman, not firefighter. He came on the job in the early 80's so those familiar with the FDNY probably can figure out why he insisted on that term but that's old school. Years ago I made copies of a couple of movies for BxEngine I got from my old man that you may be interested in too, one was the documentary "The Bronx is Burning". The quality is pretty bad but there are some classis scenes from the late 60's, the job is rather different today. One last thing for now, you and BxEngine were talking about long hauls, my old man first became a volunteer when he moved to New Hampshire in 1970. He has some stories about rides for mutual aid up there, including riding the backstep for 20 miles in below zero temps one winter night, brrr.

Speaking of brrr, another bow zero here this morning for a low, -7

Where do you get between-hour data for KPOU?

-8.1F for a low here

Just from weather.gov, it lists the 6 hour min and max. You can also get it from here http://wxweb.meteostar.com/meteogram/over/link.shtml?KPOU

Ulster, my grandfather was a firefighter for over 30 years with the Buffalo Fire Department. I have so much respect for what you guys do.

Btw, measured the snowpack in my yard and it's right around 15-16". Kinda surprised it remained that high this week.

I'm not a fireman but I grew up in and around the fire service as there is no shortage of cops and firemen in my family and friends. I used the term 'fireman' on purpose in tribute to my uncle who retired as a Captain in the FDNY, mostly in the Bronx who insisted on calling himself a fireman, not firefighter. He came on the job in the early 80's so those familiar with the FDNY probably can figure out why he insisted on that term but that's old school. Years ago I made copies of a couple of movies for BxEngine I got from my old man that you may be interested in too, one was the documentary "The Bronx is Burning". The quality is pretty bad but there are some classis scenes from the late 60's, the job is rather different today. One last thing for now, you and BxEngine were talking about long hauls, my old man first became a volunteer when he moved to New Hampshire in 1970. He has some stories about rides for mutual aid up there, including riding the backstep for 20 miles in below zero temps one winter night, brrr.

Yea I would def be interested in that, I'm a 4th generation West Point firefighter, my great grandfather, grandfather are retiree WPFD and my father and I are still on the job, pretty nuts how far it's come, but also once your inside how similar and simple it can really be

FF is a diluted version of Fireman.  Political correctness at it's finest, Give me a freakin break. I dont blame him bro

Good day weather fans,

High today was 26

Low zero

Current temp 18

Looks like we get blessed again tomorrow with snow.

Local best guess is 4 inches.

If any of the more juiced up model verify, we may make a run at 6 to 8 inches.

Also looks like this week will be active.

Hoping for some rain or a warm day to wash the automobiles.

Best.

Archived