Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Central PA & the fringes - January 2015 Part III

Atomixwx

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting disparity between 12Z GFS and 12Z NAM regarding total qpf for the late weekend event.  GFS gives MDT around 0.40" total while NAM gives 0.08".  NAM also doesn't even start the precip here until around 5:00am Monday morning.

Looks like a mild weekend and mainly dry is in store.

We will be mostly on the sidelines this weekend for the first couple of the weaker shortwaves that run the stalled boundary which will be well to the north of most of us. Like the last event, best QPF and forcing will be at and north of this boundary. Depending on where this boundary ultimately ends up, the US 6 corridor in far northern Penn might get into a little bit of the early snow. Further south it'll be relatively mild, but probably not out of the 30s in the central regions. The far south might bust into the 40s, especially if some sun is to be had.

If anything snow-wise is going to come out of this series of waves along the stalled boundary it's going to be with the last, much stronger wave that is progged around Monday. GFS/Euro have this digging and popping a low running to the south of PA, which may help foster a rain -> mix -> snow type deal as the low attempts to draw some cold air. NE PA might not be in too terrible of a spot for this. NWS BGM is certainly bullish with their snowmap in NE PA today... with 4-8" all the way into Scranton-WB. Gonna have to monitor that particular wave.

I have a couple questions regarding the upcoming storm.

This afternoon I was reading that NWS liked the preferred blend of the ECMWF/UKMET

From what I have seen the Euro ticked a little more south on the 12Z run. "I-80 special"

Below is a picture of the Euro/UKMET 850 temp. @72

The bottom picture is the latest UKMET run and it is south with cooler temps. Are the models starting a south trend?

I know this system is complicated but would like to hear some thoughts.

Thanks

post-2236-0-98435500-1423266650_thumb.jp

post-2236-0-01604400-1423266665_thumb.jp

post-2236-0-37748300-1423266891_thumb.jp

Joe Bastardi thinks snow will end up further south than currently modeled.

He put out a map this afternoon that showed 3 inches from northern Maryland back to western PA except for the SW corner. The 6 in. Line covered the eastern half of PA north of roughly the turnpike. The 12 inch area covered the northeast corner of PA up through New England.

Joe Bastardi thinks snow will end up further south than currently modeled.

He put out a map this afternoon that showed 3 inches from northern Maryland back to western PA except for the SW corner. The 6 in. Line covered the eastern half of PA north of roughly the turnpike. The 12 inch area covered the northeast corner of PA up through New England.

do you have a link or is it behind a paywall?

I have a couple questions regarding the upcoming storm.

This afternoon I was reading that NWS liked the preferred blend of the ECMWF/UKMET

From what I have seen the Euro ticked a little more south on the 12Z run. "I-80 special"

Below is a picture of the Euro/UKMET 850 temp. @72

The bottom picture is the latest UKMET run and it is south with cooler temps. Are the models starting a south trend?

I know this system is complicated but would like to hear some thoughts.

Thanks

I made the same mistake earlier when I checked out the UKMET on meteocentre. You got em reversed.. the bottom one is actually last nights 0z run and the top was 12z run (which was a bit warmer at 850mb). Most of the major models are trying to get a low just south of PA with the last and strongest of the waves, but it's going to be tough to call how much cold air gets drawn down and where the frontal boundary lies. We have a better positioned and stronger high than the last storm so I suspect at least some of our region will deal with a rain to ice to snow type scenario if the precip's available. For CTP's part they do have a snowmap out for Sunday into Monday with the NW 2/3s of the region broad brushed with a 2-3 zone and the rest of the forecast area in 1-2". I could see such a scenario if that particular low tracks far enough south.

I just like how we're pulling teeth with maybe trying to manage a couple inches when upstate NY and New England stand to get throttled with yet another major snowstorm. Gettin downright silly how much of a tremendous disparity in snowfall there is between up there and the Mid-Atlantic region underneath us. I'm thankful to at least have a snowpack on the ground, which has looked awesome in the moonlight the last few nights by the way. 

Been on the sidelines for this one. Pinched nerve in my neck is killing me. Thanks for all keeping up to date on the storm potential. I've looked a little bit and it looks like a better chance for snow north of I80 with NE PA around and north of Scranton with the best chance of 5+. The MO this year is for storms to tick north when they happen, so we shall see. This just hasn't been a good snow year for the LSV, but you'd be surprised how close to average some places are. Just a lot of wasted cold this year. Still time for a change, but the period we're heading in is less favorable by climo standards.

what a difference the last 24 hrs in temps. Last night this time it was 10 on my way home and tonight its 27. Even the breeze feels warm.  It looks like its out of the SE the way the flags are blowing. The temps forcasted for Sun and Mon are 42 and 38 respectively in Altoona. I just cant see how we will get any snow out of this until maybe late Monday.

Euro text shows 2 in. KUNV and 4.1 in. KIPT thru Tuesday. The text is pretty useful when a location is on the gradient. Not a huge difference, but an inch is an inch is an inch.

I have no Euro access. Can you get a text number for somewhere close to Tamaqua, Schuylkill County?

this is the first time I remember that the Luzerne and Lackawanna counties have   different warnings,

Lachawanna has a watch and Luzerne doesn't. I do not recall this happening before.

FORECAST CONFIDENCE CONTINUES TO GROW IN THE AREA BEING AFFECTED
BY A SIGNIFICANT STORM SYSTEM BY LATER SUNDAY INTO MONDAY ALTHOUGH
THE DEVIL IS STILL IN THE DETAILS WITH THERE STILL BEING SOME
DIFFERENCES IN FORECAST MODELS REGARDING THIS SYSTEM. NEVERTHELESS,
DO HAVE HIGH ENOUGH CONFIDENCE TO EXPAND WATCH ACROSS THE
REMAINDER OF CENTRAL NY AND INTO NE PA FOR ALL BUT LUZERNE AND
WYOMING COUNTIES.

this is the first time I remember that the Luzerne and Lackawanna counties have   different warnings,

Lachawanna has a watch and Luzerne doesn't. I do not recall this happening before.

FORECAST CONFIDENCE CONTINUES TO GROW IN THE AREA BEING AFFECTED

BY A SIGNIFICANT STORM SYSTEM BY LATER SUNDAY INTO MONDAY ALTHOUGH

THE DEVIL IS STILL IN THE DETAILS WITH THERE STILL BEING SOME

DIFFERENCES IN FORECAST MODELS REGARDING THIS SYSTEM. NEVERTHELESS,

DO HAVE HIGH ENOUGH CONFIDENCE TO EXPAND WATCH ACROSS THE

REMAINDER OF CENTRAL NY AND INTO NE PA FOR ALL BUT LUZERNE AND

WYOMING COUNTIES.

And that's despite their map showing us in the 6-8" zone...something doesn't add up here.

Archived