joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Post-Super Bowl Storm chance discussion

rossi

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not much snow south of I-87. The surface low tracks right over NJ so it's snow and then quickly over to heavy rain and then dry slot for just about everyone. Sullivan and Orange Counties would do great.

It's most likely a few inches for NYC before the changeover. GGEM transfered late.

The GFS just went to the opposite extreme of the 0z solution, i.e. the 0z run was the furthest northwest and amped up, and the 12z run was the furthest southeast and most strung out solution. I believe the truth is right smack in the middle.

If one wants to look at the H5 setup and take the NAO, and PNA indeces at face value, which are forecast to turn negative and postive, respectively, leading up to this storm, it's very difficult to envision the 12z GFS solution. With that being said, we also have a fast and confluent flow moving through SE Canada, and if we have learned anything over the past two seasons, it's to respect the influence of the PV and its tendency to keep strong developing shortwaves suppressed.

At this point I like a compromise of the two extremes, blending the 985 mb low over northern Jersey on the 0z run, with the 1010 mb low east of delaware, and we get a ~ 995 mb low just south of LI... That's my best first guess...

It's not much snow south of I-87. The surface low tracks right over NJ so it's snow and then quickly over to heavy rain and then dry slot for just about everyone. Sullivan and Orange Counties would do great.

This isn't the first time you used this, where does I-87 run east west?  Do you mean 287? The Tappan Zee?

No,  3 digit odd numbers run east west  2 digit odd numbers run north and south.  like I-95.  

Not that it matters, but this isn't true.

A 3 digit interstate *beginning* with an odd number is a spur into/out of a major metro area, e.g. 195. A 3 digit interstate beginning with an even number is a loop around a major metro area, e.g. 287. The spurs and loops have no correlation between direction and nomenclature, as the nomenclature is derived from the parent road.

Not that it matters, but this isn't true.

A 3 digit interstate *beginning* with an odd number is a spur into/out of a major metro area, e.g. 195. A 3 digit interstate beginning with an even number is a loop around a major metro area, e.g. 287. The spurs and loops have no correlation between direction and nomenclature, as the nomenclature is derived from the parent road.

Makes sense, 287 I believe is technically the "beltway" around NYC or the route you would want to take in order to avoid traffic, just like the DC Beltway.

Makes sense, 287 I believe is technically the "beltway" around NYC or the route you would want to take in order to avoid traffic, just like the DC Beltway.

Exactly. And in New Jersey, 287 definitely runs North / South, and is signed accordingly.

Probably a discussion for the banter thread but isn't it 87 until the Tap and then it become 87 again once you get passed the exit for Rt. 17?

Its important for weather.  If you connect 287 in Westchester, going west across the tap, then it connects to 287 again going south into NJ.  This is a great line to describe "North and West."  It makes a nice arc. I live just north of 287 in westchester, and many times that line seems to work out for a rain/mix to snow boundary. 

Its important for weather.  If you connect 287 in Westchester, going west across the tap, then it connects to 287 again going south into NJ.  This is a great line to describe "North and West."  It makes a nice arc. I live just north of 287 in westchester, and many times that line seems to work out for a rain/mix to snow boundary. 

Right, well for the record if said south of 87 I was referring to south of 287 in NY.

your GEFS Ens bonus coverage

hows that look?

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs-ens/2015012812/gfs-ens_mslp_uv850_us_19.png

Atlantic helper (hp) shows up (maybe?)

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs-ens/2015012812/gfs-ens_mslpa_us_19.png

this run has its bumps and lumps   ...yet keeps us involved

WPC lines up and deeper at 1004mb est

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/medr/nav_conus_pmsl.php?fday=5&fcolor=wbg

Archived