joxey
January 31st-February 2nd overrunning snow event

Thundersnow12

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

North is the trend....

First time that we've had somewhat decent model agreement in a while

I agree.... but someone needs to get the memo to the ggem :lol: .   I like where the i70 folks sit right now.   we could survive a slight shift north if we had too, according to most of the models, but that would probably also imply a more juiced system as well.  

Still waiting for that crazy nam solution we all know it's going to show at some point....ie a 987 driving to cmh :axe:

For those that wait around for sampling...

Southern wave is being partially sampled, and will be more and more over the next day or so. The northern wave will be partially sampled for 12z tomorrow and just about fully for 0z tomorrow evening. The second northern wave won't be sampled well until Saturday.

Southern wave is being partially sampled, and will be more and more over the next day or so. The northern wave will be partially sampled for 12z tomorrow and just about fully for 0z tomorrow evening. The second northern wave won't be sampled well until Saturday.

I am one of those knuckleheads.... :)

thanks for the breakdown joe....haven't had time to dive fully into things

I think this is playing a big role in the model mayhem, so sampling of the primary northern wave should (hopefully) provide better consistency tomorrow and tomorrow night. The second northern wave not being sampled until Saturday is likely to still add some uncertainty to the outcome.

Looking back to 2011, the southern wave off the Baja gave the models fits in the range we're roughly in with GHD until it was well sampled. Much of the guidance lost the storm south of the Chicago area for a few days and as late as 00z 1/29. Even the Euro shifted southeast with 12z 1/29 til the guidance came into better consensus 00z 1/30.

I also remain optimistic that this system could come even farther north and bring the higher qpf into the Chicago metro.

for the further north crowd.  JMA brings a 998 to Lexington KY, drives the rain snow about 75 miles north of cmh.   Nice hit most of IL, IN, lower MI.

don't hate me cmh'ers, just throw'n it all out there.

Crush job...would probably rival the 2007 storm here.  Nice to dream anyway.

Signs aren't bad. Just need a little more jump North to be back in the game.

With the way the models have been the past two years, I wouldn't put anyone out of the game.

Of course, I wouldn't put anyone IN the game either, but signs point to at least somebody getting something out of it, which is about the most we can ask for these days.

I just looked at the 51 member snowfall maps....like 90% bulls eye i70, I only found a couple that were significantly north of the OP.  

Steal the max up at I-70 as usual (it's ok I got to enjoy it for 4 years LOL) but don't crush our dreams in Cincy! :cry:

But in all seriousness, a slight northward adjustment seems reasonable from today's 12z operational GFS/Euro runs.

EDIT:  Thx for posting Buckeye.  I'm still ok with quite a few of those :snowing:

Archived