• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 29th-30th Hybrid Clipper

Powerball

There are some pretty good dynamics with this system (very steep mid-level lapse rates just to our west and 40kt LLJ).

Just a shame that it will be hauling ass and peak just to our east. But definitely could envision some brief periods of ripping snow in spots where it's cold enough...

I really wish it would slow up but alas it is what it is...a quick hitter

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meh Im not hugging any forecasts for tomorrow. The RGEM would be all snow from Wayne county north (and even mostly snow in Monroe county), the NAM is still a hot mess, and the GFS seems to be a mix.

Whats funny is the liquid would likely fall when its well below freezing and then it would turn to snow as the 850 temp cools but the air temp rises. Any forecast has major bust potential tomorow for Detroit.

Meh Im not hugging any forecasts for tomorrow. The RGEM would be all snow from Wayne county north (and even mostly snow in Monroe county), the NAM is still a hot mess, and the GFS seems to be a mix.

Whats funny is the liquid would likely fall when its well below freezing and then it would turn to snow as the 850 temp cools but the air temp rises. Any forecast has major bust potential tomorow for Detroit.

I was thinking the same thing about the temps going in opposite directions and precip. types. Not surprising in this goofy winter. This seems like one of those events where if the precip. ends up being heavier, there could be more snow than a mixture.

post-830-0-10075800-1422497266_thumb.jpg

Thursday Rain and freezing rain likely, possibly mixed with sleet before 4pm, then rain and snow likely. Cloudy, with a high near 38. South wind around 15 mph becoming west in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. Little or no ice accumulation expected. Little or no snow and sleet accumulation expected.

The 12z and 18z RGEM runs both showed 4 to almost 5" about 20 miles north of DTX so it's not a complete weenie idea lol.

Oh it's possible, especially up toward the thumb.  As terrible as models have been this year, I wouldn't be shocked.  I'm sure DTX wouldn't be shocked either.  But calling them out for not going 5" for tomorrow is sorta...  :weenie:

I think there is a huge bust potential for this system wrt precip types and amounts. Set the bar low and spread all precip types out there and hope for the best. As the system matures overhead DTX can massage the forecast to a more pinpoint one.

Here I'm thinking; snow, to sleet, moderate freezing rain, to light snow on the backside. Grand tally 1.25" of snowcrete

I think there is a huge bust potential for this system wrt precip types and amounts. Set the bar low and spread all precip types out there and hope for the best. As the system matures overhead DTX can massage the forecast to a more pinpoint one.

Here I'm thinking; snow, to sleet, moderate freezing rain, to light snow on the backside. Grand tally 1.25" of snowcrete

We really need things to fire up early on radar ...man that last HRRR (1Z) is showing a dud. The dynamics are there but this could mostly end up mostly as Lake Huron fish food :P

A light dusting of snow (0.1") and a few spits of freezing drizzle. Now the models make it look like a band of snow may develop and strengthen as the front moves through this afternoon, but I doubt we see anything (other than maybe some spits of drizzle) before then. Even if that band does develop and some areas sneak in enough precip to match what the models had been showing, it will be for different, unforecast reasons that the precip total matched qpf.  Some have been in our favor, some have been against us, but almost every event this winter has been blown by the models. Almost every single one lol.

Archived