Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 29th-30th Hybrid Clipper

Powerball

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a little confused why the NAM is showing pretty much nothing for us on Thursday, while the other models are showing a couple inches of snow. What is it keying in on?

Let me spell it for you N A M ... :P  ... Honestly though I wouldn't worry about what the NAM is showing until Wednesday evening.  Keep in mind that you are not in the best position for this clipper thing.

I think the "hybrid clipper" will bring in some healthy breezes on Thursday, after the front. Wind gusts may be 35-40 kts at Detroit. LES should kick up in northern lower MI.

I'm thinking the wind potential will be stunted some by the stiff low-level inversion and the lack of strong CAA, but I suppose it's something else to watch...

I think the "hybrid clipper" will bring in some healthy breezes on Thursday, after the front. Wind gusts may be 35-40 kts at Detroit. LES should kick up in northern lower MI.

GEM & GFS have over 0.3" qpf here....ptype is a concern, but imagine it will be of the wintry variety mostly.

The GEM's qpf doesn't seem to match its solution.  The GFS makes physical sense, but it's also the strongest model by far.  It would also be a freaking warm solution.  Snow ratios would be lucky to touch 10:1.  Blah.

Note: The GFS and NAM still have at least 0.01" of freezing rain and sleet in lower MI, although none of the NWS offices think this will be a big issue. (As far as I can tell.)

http://coolwx.com/cgi-bin/getptype.cgi?region=ne&model=gfs&run=00&fhr=23&field=acctype

DTX mentioned it, but 0.01" of freezing rain is probably hard to make a big deal out of more than 24 hours ahead of time.

With the cold on the backside of the system, pounding salt will be a must. With the very low snow ratios and marginal temps once this sets its going to make a snowcrete base which will be impossible to break apart even with salt.

In this region it will create a great drifting conditions for the weekends system. Today will be check over the equipment, fuel up and plug it in.

Yep. Better then nothing.

Wow the forecast just went from a pure snow event for us north of M59 to this:

FROM DTX NWS FENTON P&C for Thursday: Freezing rain and sleet before 1pm, then snow and sleet. High near 33. South southeast wind 9 to 14 mph becoming west northwest in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Little or no ice accumulation expected. New snow and sleet accumulation of less than one inch possible. <_<

FROM DTX NWS FENTON P&C for Thursday: Freezing rain and sleet before 1pm, then snow and sleet. High near 33. South southeast wind 9 to 14 mph becoming west northwest in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Little or no ice accumulation expected. New snow and sleet accumulation of less than one inch possible. <_<

Expect a surprise now...IF DTX shows 1 inch we get 5, if they show 5 we get one...Its on! :D

True ... at lease there is finally hope :pimp:

You may definitely fair better with what little the system tomorrow has to offer because of elevation.

There are some pretty good dynamics with this system (very steep mid-level lapse rates just to our west and 40kt LLJ).

Just a shame that it will be hauling ass and peak just to our east. But definitely could envision some brief periods of ripping snow in spots where it's cold enough...

Archived