Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
New Years' Weekend Snow Potential

Rainman

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z Euro ensembles looking surprisingly bullish on potentially more of a GFS type track. Note the two camps within the suite, signalling considerable uncertainty with this storm. The southern area has a track from OH to near Kingston while the northern area shoves the LP well up into S/C On.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-12-30 at 3.15.30 PM.png

Interesting track, I assume they would show a nice area of ice with that track, similar to the GGEM. I wouldn't mind a nice 1/2" ice storm actually, but no more than that, I like the way the trees look with 1/2" ice on them, but more than that it is power outages for days and lots of branches cleanup for me.

:weenie:

67bd2e4300a7558f14bdff3574e07c46.gif

The synoptic comparison is there but there are 2 issues, one the flow is more southerly this time compared to then, and two it was much colder in 1999 compared to what is forecast. Basically it would end up being lousy for most of the subforum if it ended up taking a blizzard of 99 track.

Right, agreed. It's a total rainer for us, but hopefully those to our north/west can cash in on some snow. Somebody needs to get off the schneid...

Well I'm not ready to go with total rainer yet.  The Euro and really nothing else has been able to settle on a solution yet.  I'd definitely lean against an all wintry outcome at this point but I think we're still in play for something wintry even if it's only a small part of the storm.

Well, if it's going to be a rainer for LAF, it's definitely going to be rain here too. When Hoosier talks about it not being a complete shutout on "wintry" precip, I'm sure that he's alluding to a zr front end thump and some mood flakes at the end.

Guess I'll look forward to my 2" from the clipper next Tuesday.

Well, if it's going to be a rainer for LAF, it's definitely going to be rain here too. When Hoosier talks about it not being a complete shutout on "wintry" precip, I'm sure that he's alluding to a zr front end thump and some mood flakes at the end.

Guess I'll look forward to my 2" from the clipper next Tuesday.

Still a long time for this to change. The Christmas Eve system became a completely different storm than was modeled even inside of 54 hours. 

I wonder if we'll start to whiplash back to a flatter solution in the next set of model runs.   I noticed several more of the 18zgfs members were flatter and the 00z nam is significantly flatter.   

I am definitely expecting this to flatten out from where it is now. To which degree I'm not so sure, but I think it's coming. Let me also clarify why I think this is justified:

post-9209-0-74907400-1419995963_thumb.gi

I am very uneasy about the close proximity between the two shortwaves. I fear that it is quite possible that in future runs, we're going to see the northern stream act as more of a "kicker" that pushes the southern stream system further south and east. This evolution would seem to be ideal for a more strung-out southwest flow event. There is also the possibility of a full phase, in which case we would have an impressive rainstorm on our hands. 

Regardless, I'm excited to track this storm. The dynamics are something I feel we haven't seen in a while. It's much more fun to watch the run-to-run changes at 500mb with this type of set up.

I wonder if we'll start to whiplash back to a flatter solution in the next set of model runs.   I noticed several more of the 18zgfs members were flatter and the 00z nam is significantly flatter.   

Yeah there was more spread on the 18z GFS members than you'd like to see.

I am very uneasy about the close proximity between the two shortwaves. I fear that it is quite possible that in future runs, we're going to see the northern stream act as more of a "kicker" that pushes the southern stream system further south and east. This evolution would seem to be ideal for a more strung-out southwest flow event. There is also the possibility of a full phase, in which case we would have an impressive rainstorm on our hands. N

Regardless, I'm excited to track this storm. The dynamics are something I feel we haven't seen in a while. It's much more fun to watch the run-to-run changes at 500mb with this type of set up.

It basically boils down to whether its a cold light rain or a heavy warm rain...lol

Archived