• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
New Years' Weekend Snow Potential

Rainman

There were some decent ones in the city decades ago...but not easy to do and I'd say you would need a solid setup to pull it off.

I'm not too much worried about ice potential here either.

Besides the lack of snowcover and the wind off the lakes, surface temps will probably warm up quicker than modeled with the amount of WAA progged near/east of the low track.

This one does have strong 33*F - 35*F and rain potential though...

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not too much worried about ice potential here either.

Besides the lack of snowcover and the wind off the lakes, surface temps will probably warm up quicker than modeled with the amount of WAA progged near/east of the low track.

This one does have strong 33*F - 35*F and rain potential though...

I think a lot depends on how our system evolves.  A bombing solution like the GGEM would probably be more favorable for ice over a bigger area as warming profiles aloft overspread a larger area.  This type of scenario would ultimately result in a change to plain rain over a bigger area. 

I think a lot depends on how our system evolves.  A bombing solution like the GGEM would probably be more favorable for ice over a bigger area as warming profiles aloft overspread a larger area.  This type of scenario would ultimately result in a change to plain rain over a bigger area. 

Agreed. Definitely something to watch as things continue to evolve over the next day or so.

Not hopping on board any of the model trains just yet. Seems like there is too much of a spread so far, plus I don't feel like spending most of the week fretting over this like many of us did over Christmas. Though I will say, reading the discussion in the mean time has been enlightening. :popcorn:  

The ice potential would likely be over a larger area with the GGEM's solution, but it would be of shorter duration with the deep southerly flow kicking in (and mixing down the warmer air aloft faster).

The ice potential would likely be over a larger area with the GGEM's solution, but it would be of shorter duration with the deep southerly flow kicking in (and mixing down the warmer air aloft faster).

Just looking at the GGEM precip type maps, it looks like basically I-70 northward into southern WI and then over into much of Michigan (not including Detroit) would end up with ice.

Looks like it stayed progressive enough. Hard to tell via the freebies but could be a nice hit fyby.

In our backyards, 0.3-0.4" of a ZR/SN mix on the front end... then over to RN and back to wet snow on the back side. Far from over WRT p-type changes, track etc. That northern stream feature was much deeper/more progressive and the southern feature was also a tad slower.

The 12z EC takes the low across the tip of Lake Erie.  A wedge of warm air keeps it mostly rain for SE Michigan with all snow west of a Lansing-Saginaw line.  There is still obviously plenty of potential though, even for Detroit with the low going over Lake Erie like that and not wrapping way up to the north.  Everybody gets light wrap around deformation snow on Sunday.

Good thing we're not at the point where we can take this solution too seriously.  That being said, my guess is it will be hard to avoid rain here.

Right, agreed. It's a total rainer for us, but hopefully those to our north/west can cash in on some snow. Somebody needs to get off the schneid...

Right, agreed. It's a total rainer for us, but hopefully those to our north/west can cash in on some snow. Somebody needs to get off the schneid...

Well I'm not ready to go with total rainer yet.  The Euro and really nothing else has been able to settle on a solution yet.  I'd definitely lean against an all wintry outcome at this point but I think we're still in play for something wintry even if it's only a small part of the storm.

Archived