• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2014-15 Banter Thread

Stormlover74

Ahh....memories.....and I thought I was the only one. That weather radio was awesome. And yes, there was a blizzard warning for 1-2 feet of snow for my area in Worcester MA in Feb 1987, but when that moon kept on shining that night behind a silky veil, that sinking feeling took over and I knew we were in trouble. My instinct was right and we ended up with a dusting the next day while the Cape got a foot.

There were plenty of snow surprises both positive and negative up to just before the 93 superstorm.

It seems like the Euro really improved enough by that time for more reliable snowfall forecasts.

I guess the younger generation today just takes for granted how much better the weather forecasts 

are today than back in the 70's and 80's when I was growing up. The positive snow surprises of

1-20-78 and 1-23-87 slightly made up for the many  snowstorms forecasts that never materialized.

You knew when NOAA Weather Radio was calling for 3-6 inches and the moon was visible through

a thin overcast that the storm was heading out to sea to our SE.

It sure feels like that happened a half dozen times or so in the early and mid 80's.  I remember laying in bed with my Radio Shack weather radio as a kid, with a bust clearly indicated by the moonlight as you said, but holding out hope since the recorded forecast kept looping unchanged...

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahh....memories.....and I thought I was the only one. That weather radio was awesome. And yes, there was a blizzard warning for 1-2 feet of snow for my area in Worcester MA in Feb 1987, but when that moon kept on shining that night behind a silky veil, that sinking feeling took over and I knew we were in trouble. My instinct was right and we ended up with a dusting the next day while the Cape got a foot.

Oh no, you aren't the only one who used to have their ears glued to NOAA radio waiting for an update to the loop, LOL.

i remember sitting there listening to NOAA weather radio, desperately waiting for the morning or evening forecast to start.... and having to to listen to the same old loop over and over and over.    and sometimes you'd think the next loop would be the new forecast, because the new boating forecast had already started..... but 30 minutes later, you'd still have the same old forecast. ahh, the good ol' days. :axe:

i remember sitting there listening to NOAA weather radio, desperately waiting for the morning or evening forecast to start.... and having to to listen to the same old loop over and over and over.    and sometimes you'd think the next loop would be the new forecast, because the new boating forecast had already started..... but 30 minutes later, you'd still have the same old forecast. ahh, the good ol' days. :axe:

The thing I remember best was "here is the coastal marine forecast from Watch Hill Rhode Island to Montauk Point to Manasquan Inlet New Jersey to 20 nautical miles offshore...including the waters of Long Island Sound." After that was given the follow up was "Further offshore..then something about "to Hudson Canyon...to Baltimore Canyon"   Sometimes something like "from George's Bank to the Northeast Channel" that's all I recall. 

I just did some banter quality math.  If we do not get any measurable snow for the next 10 winters, the 30 year average IMBY looking back from that point will be 25.4".  Contrast with the 70's and 80's.  I honestly don't think any of us will live long enough to see it that bad again.

You spoiled rotten kids don't know what it is like to go 9 years with only 1 snow-day off from school.  Of course we were also tougher or less afraid of litigation or something back then.  I recall watching 9" of snow fall out my classroom window then going home on the same bus schedule as always.  The snow was starting as we were waiting for the morning bus (a scant few moments of sleet right at the start actually) and was over by the time we got home.  We were back in school at the regular time the next morning shortly after a brief heavy snowsquall had re-covered the roads.  I never heard of a delayed opening when I was a kid.  Schools were either open or they weren't.  Mostly they were open.

And yes, it was uphill both ways.

The thing I remember best was "here is the coastal marine forecast from Watch Hill Rhode Island to Montauk Point to Manasquan Inlet New Jersey to 20 nautical miles offshore...including the waters of Long Island Sound." After that was given the follow up was "Further offshore..then something about "to Hudson Canyon...to Baltimore Canyon"   Sometimes something like "from George's Bank to the Northeast Channel" that's all I recall. 

You forgot "including the waters south of Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket Island" and "out to 1000 fathoms"

You spoiled rotten kids don't know what it is like to go 9 years with only 1 snow-day off from school. 

Ed this post makes far too many assumptions...the worst of which is your belief that some here have made it through the 9th grade...

You forgot "including the waters south of Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket Island" and "out to 1000 fathoms"

Must be the sleep deprivation...

When did the WFO/update turn robotic/computer generated?

I think in the early 1990's around when they moved to Upton from midtown...the first voice was a computer generated male voice...and I recall he was unpleasant sounding. 

Just looked 2004-2005 up. It seems really similiar to this year so far. December was average to slightly above normal. January started off above normal until mid month when the pattern changed. Once the pattern changed, this storm happened.

I checked the data out of Upton / BNL...they measured 13.0 inches of snow in December 2004...on just 1.96 inches of precip that month...so it was snowy & dry...while this month has been wet & snowless....temps were close to seasonable in Dec 2004...but are well above normal this month.  In fairness, the Upton station is just one station...but saying the two years are "similar" is not an entirely realistic characterization.  But assuming arguendo that they were similar...well, that most assuredly does not guarantee any future outcome...though it might enhance the chances just a bit. 

http://www.bnl.gov/weather/4cast/MonthlySnowfall.htm

http://www.bnl.gov/weather/4cast/MonthlyPrecip.htm

I don't always show off my elequant {sic} writing style, but when I do it's on the main discussion page of a weather board. Sincerely, Pamela :)

I'll take that as a ringing endorsement... :)  (despite the one minor spelling error)

Archived