• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2014-15 Banter Thread

Stormlover74

The Pac jet firehouse is going to destroy the epo ridge after a few days. Trust me its a temporary feature. The pac jet means business. If one can get the disturbances to undercut the ridge rather than try and plow thru it we may be in business. I dont see that on about half of guidance. Im unfortunately being the pessimist regarding this because we have been down this road before in years past. Once that pac jet is roaring its tough stopping it. Last year the pac worked out for us. Will it turn in our favor? I really hope so but i am just being pessimistically cautious about this feature and its tenure.

Def gonna trust someone who thinks a building containing firetrucks is going to change the weather.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its gonna turn out to be a mild week ending Sunday with temps 10-15 degrees above normal during that stretch.

Looks like another December that fails to fall below 20 degrees in NYC. I can remember all the December lows 

in the single digits from the 70's into the 80's. That -1 for NYC on Christmas 1980 really stands out in my

memory. It makes me feel like I grew up during the little ice age compared to the balmy Decembers over the

last 20 years.

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/1980/us1225.php

Looks like another December that fails to fall below 20 degrees in NYC. I can remember all the December lows 

in the single digits from the 70's into the 80's. That -1 for NYC on Christmas 1980 really stands out in my

memory. It makes me feel like I grew up during the little ice age compared to the balmy Decembers over the

last 20 years.

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/1980/us1225.php

...and yet all those Decembers in the 1970's and 1980's failed to produce much more snow combined than Boxing Day did standing alone. 

...and yet all those Decembers in the 1970's and 1980's failed to produce much more snow combined than Boxing Day did standing alone. 

Central Park saw a total of 37.9 inches of snow in the 20 Decembers from 1970 - 1989 / less than 2 inches each December on average. 

That's right. I didn't see my first really memorable December snowstorm until 12-30-00.

Long Island only saw two halfway decent ones during the 1970's & 1980's...a 4 to 7 inch event on 12/12/1982 (typical Hatteras to Cape Cod track) & 12/13/1988...which was confined to west central Suffolk County...and put down around a foot from about Patchogue to Port Jefferson.

The best snowstorm of the 1990's in December was on 12/19/1995...with up to a foot in spots...but far more widespread than the Norlun event in 1988.

Long Island only saw two halfway decent ones during the 1970's & 1980's...a 4 to 7 inch event on 12/12/1982 (typical Hatteras to Cape Cod track) & 12/13/1988...which was confined to west central Suffolk County...and put down around a foot from about Patchogue to Port Jefferson.

The best snowstorm of the 1990's in December was on 12/19/1995...with up to a foot in spots...but far more widespread than the Norlun event in 1988.

On 12/27/1984 Westbury in Nassau County picked up a quick 6.8"...another fairly local event...east of the Sagitikos Parkway...very little snow fell.  Moreover, it was almost 70 F the next day.

What storm in December in the early to mid 90s dropped 7-9" across NYC and LI when the forecast called for sprinkles?

Probably December 27 -28, 1990

Probably December 27 -28, 1990

Note that I did not forget that one when I listed snow events...I specifically said "best snow event of the 1990's" when I cited 12/19/1995.

The 12/13/1988 was the classic norlun trough episode where while there was heavy snow in western Suffolk County, there was rain and thunder over the Hamptons.

I'll never forget that one, that one scarred my soul. I could only imagine what this board would look like if the '80's walked through the door. Yikes

That decade would have devastated some on this board.

Imagine year after year of above normal temps and below normal snow by the time we got to 93 all we could point to was Feb 83 and 77 78 as the good Ole days.

Kids today are spoiled. You guys are crying over December imagine living through a frigging decade of this and not just 30 days.

The 88 Norlun surprise stands out only since I couldn't believe the reports on the evening news after coming home from

work.

That decade would have devastated some on this board.

Imagine year after year of above normal temps and below normal snow by the time we got to 93 all we could point to was Feb 83 and 77 78 as the good Ole days.

Kids today are spoiled. You guys are crying over December imagine living through a frigging decade of this and not just 30 days.

The only snowstorms that really mattered to me between PD1 in 1979 and the 90's were 4-6-82, 2-11-83, and 1-23-87.

The 88 Norlun surprise stands out only since I couldn't believe the reports on the evening news after coming home from

work.

There was a good scholarly article on it in an AMS monthly issue...the Kocin book provided a similar analysis of it. 

work.

Most of the snow fell between central Nassau and just east of Upton; with the heaviest halfway between those spots...to the east there was rain...to the west...little measurable snowfall.

Nope 3-6" was forecast for almost eveybody. Temps were in the mid 20s when snow started

Probably have to say I do not know then...as I cannot think of any other 7 to 9 inch snow event for Central Park in December in the early to mid 1990's than the ones I mentioned (12/27/1990 and 12/19/1995). There were a couple of small snow events in December 1993...I don't think the city got 7 to 9 inches though..

Probably have to say I do not know then...as I cannot think of any other 7 to 9 inch snow event for Central Park in the early to mid 1990's than the ones I mentioned (12/27/1990 and 12/19/1995). There were a couple of small snow events in December 1993...I don't think the city got 7 to 9 inches though..

Me either. Feb 91 and March 90 had 'surprise' events

Me either. Feb 91 and March 90 had 'surprise' events

February 1990 produced a huge snowstorm out over eastern Long Island...locally pushing 18 inches...very localized though...thanks to another Norlun Trough. 

February 1990 produced a huge snowstorm out over eastern Long Island...locally pushing 18 inches...very localized though...thanks to another Norlun Trough. 

& February 1999 saw a huge snow from an offshore cyclone for the East End...14 inches at Montauk...2 feet over the Cape.

Archived