Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

Oh oh. Kevin has Jspin hooked I see.  :lol:

LOL, well at least it's "seasons in seasons", or something like that, on Mansfield.  After PF's update from yesterday, I paid the mountain a visit this morning, and indeed it was worth it.  There's nice powder and base snow underneath it.  At the very edge of the season it's not always easy to get the desired setup of a reasonably smooth, dense base layer of snow down and then get powder on top.  Sometimes if you get a big enough storm it can take care of getting you there in one fell swoop, but we haven't really had one of those yet this season.  The way things have come together in this case made for some excellent powder skiing though.

A dose of Mansfield:  know treble

20NOV14A.jpg

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice little upslope (?) squall hitting the MRV now.

I tried to post the radar image but it wont let me. Says that image extension not permitted in this community.????

I upload the loops to photobucket then post. The board doesn't like the wundergroound loop.

Anyway...possibly 7" at 1500ft and sounds like an easy foot up high. Snow is going over the windshield of snowmobiles up there.

It was insane this morning. Woke up in BTV with not a cloud in the sky and brilliant stars. Drove down 89 and saw nothing until I got to the waterbury exit. Was snowing lightly. Got up on Barrows road by the school and suddenly it was snowing HARD. 2" on the road and whiteout at times.  Took 20 minutes to get to the lot from that point where it was just DUMPING. 

5 laps later. Drove home to sunny skies in BTV.

This is why I moved.  

It was insane this morning. Woke up in BTV with not a cloud in the sky and brilliant stars. Drove down 89 and saw nothing until I got to the waterbury exit. Was snowing lightly. Got up on Barrows road by the school and suddenly it was snowing HARD. 2" on the road and whiteout at times.  Took 20 minutes to get to the lot from that point where it was just DUMPING. 

5 laps later. Drove home to sunny skies in BTV.

This is why I moved.  

you're going to have to change your screen name.

you're going to have to change your screen name.

A bit like the Buffalo snow band.  I would have just loved to drive the 1 mile from 0 vis snow to clear skies to the north.  Bet you could have just sat in your car and watched white curtains travel by several hundred feet away.  I know how it looks here with squalls but must be so much more amplified with 5" per hour snow curtains

What were the events? 12" last night and today with 6" yesterday morning? Monday will really furnace a lot of that, but will get back to normal later Tuesday.

The two main events were Wednesday 10" at 3,000ft...and then 10" again last night/today (the 12" estimate was a little high, as I only had 10" at measurement spot).  This stuff was your skiing dream powder (not Dendrite's cement), so even 20" since Tuesday night is probably like 15" of actual depth as the second event sort of crushed the first event.  And the upper mountain also got 3" of SN/IP/ZR back on what was it, Monday? 

Base snowfall was much less...only 4" on Wednesday, but 6" today.  There's about a foot on the ground at 1,500ft.

Down in town...it was 1.4" Monday, 3.5" Wednesday, and 2.5" today.  Plus a couple 0.1-0.5" dustings mixed in.  I've got 5" on the ground in the yard, with 3 events of 2-3.5" in the last 10 days.  That stuff is going to melt very quickly, lol. 

Jeffersonville side. We didn't make it around to the Stowe side.

The current snow cover is a perfect example of Froude numbers...your photos you posted on FB from Underhill with just a trace dusting of snow is a stark example of what was going on here on the east side this morning. 

My friends just got into town and said there's a pretty sharp line between no snow and snow, somewhere near Waterbury coming from BTV. 

Anyway, the Mansfield COOP came in with 3" of new snow again...so in the two events that I've measured 20" total, the COOP has had 6".  I've measured 6" this week at 750ft at home, so apparently the upper elevations should look similar to my front yard if the COOP amounts were correct, haha. 

The current snow cover is a perfect example of Froude numbers...your photos you posted on FB from Underhill with just a trace dusting of snow is a stark example of what was going on here on the east side this morning. 

My friends just got into town and said there's a pretty sharp line between no snow and snow, somewhere near Waterbury coming from BTV. 

Anyway, the Mansfield COOP came in with 3" of new snow again...so in the two events that I've measured 20" total, the COOP has had 6".  I've measured 6" this week at 750ft at home, so apparently the upper elevations should look similar to my front yard if the COOP amounts were correct, haha. 

Oh definitely it was a rapid transition from no snow to covered ground to appreciable depths. It was very cool to see that, even if I live on the bare ground side LOL. It definitely gives you an appreciation for our microclimates. I can't wait to hit the slopes!

PF- It seems Novembers have done very well for you recently. I've recalled you saying some of your best skiing was in November one recent year haha.

Yes, last November around like Veterans Day after that big upslope event that left 18" at the summit, was likely the best conditions until March. That was the day I went up with LAHIFF...I remember both of us saying we hoped it wouldn't take long to top those conditions, and it ended up taking till March, haha. Last Nov was around 40" by my count at 3,000ft+, and this Nov is now at 32". We also had some wicked squalls last Nov, too.

I'm thinking there is a correlation between snowfall here and cold air outbreaks in NOV...below normal air masses really help in these bookend months. The past two have been chilly Novembers (at least month to date this year), and snowfall has come with it. It just has a different feel than a below normal airmass in January which can just be brutal cold and dry. These cold days tend to come with snow showers, flurries, etc.

Gotta remember these times when in "real winter" of January I'm watching Philly rack up the inches while wishing it would snow up here haha.

Yes, last November around like Veterans Day after that big upslope event that left 18" at the summit, was likely the best conditions until March. That was the day I went up with LAHIFF...I remember both of us saying we hoped it wouldn't take long to top those conditions, and it ended up taking till March, haha. Last Nov was around 40" by my count at 3,000ft+, and this Nov is now at 32". We also had some wicked squalls last Nov, too.

I'm thinking there is a correlation between snowfall here and cold air outbreaks in NOV...below normal air masses really help in these bookend months. The past two have been chilly Novembers (at least month to date this year), and snowfall has come with it. It just has a different feel than a below normal airmass in January which can just be brutal cold and dry. These cold days tend to come with snow showers, flurries, etc.

Gotta remember these times when in "real winter" of January I'm watching Philly rack up the inches while wishing it would snow up here haha.

The 23rd will be the anniversary of the great squall here in Winooski :) That thing was truly awesome with rates up to 4 inches per hour and an MCV. It was almost a QLCS.

Archived