joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 2014

Rtd208

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's actually nearly a tripple phaser because a piece of the PV phases in with the backside energy near Minnesota.

Without blocking theres nothing to slow down the vort, so if it phases it does it way too late.

Last nights euro and todays PGFS was slower with this energy allowing time for a better phase.

Still time to go but the pattern def isnt that condusive.

Without blocking theres nothing to slow down the vort, so if it phases it does it way too late.

Last nights euro and todays PGFS was slower with this energy allowing time for a better phase.

Still time to go but the pattern def isnt that condusive.

The Euro is known for hanging back energy in the southwest. I was quite surprised to see it east of the GFS.

Lol at the EURO day 7 wtf?!

A little more tucked in than  the parallel GFS, but has the 2 wave solution also.

We will probably need to see how the early week GL cutter leaves

the baroclinic zone along the EC first. Multiple vorts are a big challenge

even at closer ranges.

A little more tucked in than the parallel GFS, but has the 2 wave solution also.

We will probably need to see how the early week GL cutter leaves

the baroclinic zone along the EC first. Multiple vorts are a big challenge

even at closer ranges.

back to back snowstorms? Doubt it but that would be the best November in decades!

20 MB drop inside 24 hours . Could use the Pacific to slow just a bit to pull that ridge line back so this can turn.

The shunt East comes from the Pacific .

No blocking to speak of so I`m not sure I would buy the exit stage right look .  I am more  inclined when I see that kind of deepening to think its a smidge more NE than E .

The 12z ECMWF went stronger with the trailing shortwave. That kicked the leading shortwave out. Therefore you have two lows form with just a glancing blow for us.

It was just faster with the lead shortwave, which allowed the backside energy more room to amplify. We either need that lead energy to get out of the way or slow down enough so that it can completely phase. The Euro op was an in between solution.

Going to change many times since there are so many players on the board

to even guess at ptypes or track yet.

Yeah I don't know where one would get a idea like that from today's 12z runs. IMHO is one or the other and not both . The second vort would be better for the coast as it has a better air mass to work with.

The ridge positioning both to the east and north of these incoming shortwaves argues to me that this storm has a higher than normal likelihood of coming up the coast. While we still need the pieces to fall in to place and the energy to interact correctly, the mid level height alignment is not one that will be overly open to allowing the system to escape east. 

What could happen, instead, is that the lead shortwave will dampen out and elongate from southwest to northeast along the periphery of the West Atlantic ridge. If this happens, there will be no storm from that initial disturbance. But the forecast models, today, have gotten much more impressive with both the ridge on the west coast (its alignment and its intensity) and the trailing shortwave which shoots through the Plains. This is the energy that eventually buckles the flow enough and forces the PVA/surface low development near OBX. 

post-6-0-35533500-1416596447_thumb.png

That being said, it is important to note that there are actually three different players on the field as advertised by the forecast models currently. We have the lead wave mentioned above, the trailing wave coming through the Plains, and then a disturbance in the Great Lakes which is actually attached to a northern stream upper level low. 

Today's 12z models began to key in on the fact that this piece of energy will be more energetic as a whole, and will dip southward as a result of the ridging to the west and buckling flow to its northwest. That piece of energy dropping southward and getting involved changes the whole upper level orientation. This is why the 12z Euro can amplify the Plains disturbance even though it misses the phase with the first disturbance -- the flow buckles so much as a result of the Great Lakes energy that it allows the two to phase. I highlighted this below -- look at the wave spacing between the two as the Great Lakes energy drops southward. 

post-6-0-56404700-1416596742_thumb.png

All of these pieces of energy and their interactions are going to be essential to figuring out exactly how this entire thing will shake down. The good news, going in, is that the cold front crossing just prior to the event gives us a supportive airmass and leaves the baroclinic zone in a favorable spot. We don't have a ton of blocking but, as it stands now, we do have just a slow enough flow for this all to develop. So it's possible. But for now, it's a waiting game. 

It was just faster with the lead shortwave, which allowed the backside energy more room to amplify. We either need that lead energy to get out of the way or slow down enough so that it can completely phase. The Euro op was an in between solution.

It's a little bit of both. The timing and spacing differences between each shortwave, are really small.

Archived