Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
October Discussion

TalcottWx

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thursday night I think you were already pretty high on potential...at least for the hills around the area...but were still pondering whether HFD on the valley floor was going to get smoked or not.

I was very surprised how many folks refused to budge off of long standing beliefs despite overwhelming model and real time obs. I have found over the years that the best and brightest can think out of the book and understand how to accept the unthinkable can happen.

I was very surprised how many folks refused to budge off of long standing beliefs despite overwhelming model and real time obs. I have found over the years that the best and brightest can think out of the book and understand how to accept the unthinkable can happen.

Jeff Tongue from OKX gave a presentation on the storm at the 2012 Tri-State weather conference and in it he compared the models predicted dew point depressions versus what actually happened. It was astounding, they were off by like 8-10F IIRC.

The euro nailed it. It had like -5C down to PYM I think, at 850. I don't care if it's July, that's snow in the interior. By Thursday the features were aligning. Go big or go home. The best were some of the excuses why it may have trouble sticking. As many of us have said before, moderate or heavy snow will stick even amid a nuclear war going on,

The euro nailed it. It had like -5C down to PYM I think, at 850. I don't care if it's July, that's snow in the interior. By Thursday the features were aligning. Go big or go home. The best were some of the excuses why it may have trouble sticking. As many of us have said before, moderate or heavy snow will stick even amid a nuclear war going on,

Hmmm, maybe he compared what OKX predicted (with their gridded forecasts I think?) versus what actually happened.

Still probably the most exciting storm I've been in. 

Weird one for me. I was off for a few days, then came in the day before on long term. So I never actually had a piece of the storm to forecast.

I just remember wearing shorts on the course the week before, and then just 'bang' season over. Maybe that's why we were rewarded with the once in a lifetime March 2012.

I give kudos to Ryan in the October 2011 storm...I remember several of us in here were stunned by Friday night that the TV mets were still really gunshy on the snow potiential. But he was pretty much gung ho from 60 hours in. The only TV met in the area that was getting the word out that early.

It was hard to believe what was being shown on the models given how overwhelmingly strong climo is against that type of storm in late October, but at some point, you had to ditch climo. I remember hearing arguments from mets that climo favored much lower totals....which would have been fine 4-5 days out....but this was like 24-36 hours out. I mean the Euro was showing like -5C at 925mb. It's not going to rain or be a sloppy mix on those profiles...even to the valley floor.

You mean like the ground is too warm to stick argument?

I think we were consistently 4-6" behind reality at CON for the entire event. Even as the snow was coming to an end we never had more than 14" in our forecast (while 22" sit on the ground).

Man I've been en fuego the last week or so. We knew yesterday when op runs started locking arms and doe ci doeing each other this cold shot/early winter storm threat had some legs.

All about the ops .. Bout the ops.. Now Ensembles

did anyone see 10+" of rain the last 3 days?

The highest reports I saw were 7-8 inches in a few select spots..so no Steven Jones

good call on the winds though. i am a few miles inland from BOS and while there were some winds, it wasn't anything crazy. big difference between here and the coast. 

btw, aside from hand picking, what is the best way to get acorns out of the yard? i really don't want to rake them because it is a PITA

good call on the winds though. i am a few miles inland from BOS and while there were some winds, it wasn't anything crazy. big difference between here and the coast. 

btw, aside from hand picking, what is the best way to get acorns out of the yard? i really don't want to rake them because it is a PITA

I've heard the Garden Weasel thing actually works

I was talking about how the ensembles show an Alaska trough (not GOA trough) and I hear that's bad

The upcoming pattern has absolutely nothing to do with the upcoming winter. Some of our best usually flipped end of nov into early dec, I wouldn't worry at all.

Archived