• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE/Okle: Banter/Non Storm OBS thread

Messing around with some #'s for Philly, nothing scientific just created some ranges which each provide a decent sample size"

26 yrs. with no measurable DEC snow - average 14.3" for the remainder of the season

23 yrs. with < 1" of measurable DEC snow - average 18.6" for the remainder of the season - :o

26 yrs. with 1-3" of DEC snow - average 16.6" for the remainder of the season

24 yrs. with 3-6" of DEC snow - average 16.3" for the remainder of the season

31 yrs. with > 6" of DEC snow - average 23.4" for the remainder of the season

Let's see the breakdown of Philly's 10 snowiest winters and what they got in December, that should be telling

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Messing around with some #'s for Philly, nothing scientific just created some ranges which each provide a decent sample size"

26 yrs. with no measurable DEC snow - average 14.3" for the remainder of the season (median - 12.5")

23 yrs. with < 1" of measurable DEC snow - average 18.6" for the remainder of the season - (median - 16.3")

26 yrs. with 1-3" of DEC snow - average 16.6" for the remainder of the season (median - 17.0")

24 yrs. with 3-6" of DEC snow - average 16.3" for the remainder of the season (median - 15.0")

31 yrs. with > 6" of DEC snow - average 23.4" for the remainder of the season (median - 22.6")

Added median #'s per Ray's request - interesting that 3-6" range, JAN was particularly crappy following those DEC's however there were some nice MAR's

Added median #'s per Ray's request - interesting that 3-6" range, JAN was particularly crappy following those DEC's however there were some nice MAR's

Thanks for doing this!

I asked this in the obs thread, but after last night I'm thinking PHL may have picked up 0.1" overnight, which statistically speaking gets a nice bump (4") in January - March totals. Either way I don't think I'd be rooting against another 3 to 5.9" before the end of the month.

Thanks for doing this!

I asked this in the obs thread, but after last night I'm thinking PHL may have picked up 0.1" overnight, which statistically speaking gets a nice bump (4") in January - March totals. Either way I don't think I'd be rooting against another 3 to 5.9" before the end of the month.

They had not as of 7AM, but the day is young.

Yet they are talking of punting winter right and left....ay caramba

Well, I have seen talk of punting the rest of December...but that's based on the milder and unsnowy look on the models for the next 7 to 10 days.  I'm betting on at least one wintry threat in the last week or so of December, which is also when I believe we'll take the turn back to chillier with wintry precip chances.

Days of snow and nearing 1/5th my winter call of 55" and it's just Dec 11th. I have obviously gone too low :lol:

Yet they are talking of punting winter right and left....ay caramba

for some unknown reason I ventured into the NYC winter banter thread this afternoon, sky is falling, busted winter forecasts, KU's are overrated, pattern change is always 10 days away, cat fights....... it's a veritable loony bin

post-1715-0-52251800-1418331684_thumb.jp

on the bright side gas is now $2.25 by the office, $33 to fill the tank :bike:

for some unknown reason I ventured into the NYC winter banter thread this afternoon, sky is falling, busted winter forecasts, KU's are overrated, pattern change is always 10 days away, cat fights....... it's a veritable loony bin

attachicon.gifone-flew-over-the-cuckoos-nest1-lg.jpg

Careful about venturing there, only Snake Plisken has made it out alive.

attachicon.gifone-flew-over-the-cuckoos-nest1-lg.jpg

$2.25?? Wow I'm paying $2.82 here yet

It really is amazing how the forecasted warmth just has not been as great or as sustainable as predicted.

So far during the December torch here in NW Chesco (0.4 below normal)

Yeah, it's been striking to watch models and forecasts 7+ days out predicting warmth only to have slightly below normal

temps when the day arrives.   Now the 50 degrees early next week looks more like normal low 40's before dropping off

into the 30's for later in the week.   Even today was advertised to be in the mid 40's earlier in the week, but we didn't get 

out of the 30's.    Quoting JB, "Heckuva way to run a warmup".

Went out through Glenmoore this morning and was surprised to see how much snow was left around your house.

I was skeptical of the 3 inches you reported as I only had 1.25", but now I can believe it.

Archived