Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE/Okle: Banter/Non Storm OBS thread

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

7 years ago someone wrote a paper on using a webcam to measure snow depth...  Its actually a shame that it was never put in a weather journal (its a computer science journal)

http://www.iaeng.org/IJCS/issues_v34/issue_1/IJCS_34_1_22.pdf

Indeed, now all some one needs to do is attach a micro-controller or arduino to a actuator that clears the accumulation on the base every six inches! 

Snow pile update:

The pile remains intact before the rain/slop/ice and wind.

Measuring a meager, but intact, 4x5 wide by ~4" high

Hoping survival and a bit of addition

Good luck on the survival of your pile! We have one VERY small pile that only remains because of heavy shade cover from the house. Hoping it can survive the rain during the day and maybe some addition overnight if the back end snows happen...

Snow pile update:

The pile remains intact before the rain/slop/ice and wind.

Measuring a meager, but intact, 4x5 wide by ~4" high

Hoping survival and a bit of addition

As you might have guessed, no snow pile here at the moment. I'm okay though :lmao: .

Good luck with yours - hopefully you get something overnight to pad it with in the early am before the rain washes it away. Looking reasonably good up that way for some additional snow between tomorrow night and Wednesday night.

I will accept my rain and wet snow shower tomorrow and walk away in shame. Really thought there would be some better precip enhancement as the cold air rushed back in which doesnt look like it is going to materialize. Oh well....now that this system is dying a slow death maybe we can look ahead to the pattern change coming around the 3rd week of december? EPO poised to go negative just as disturbances undercut the ridge and allow the southern jet to get rather active. I sense better times ahead before month's end with a better than avg chance at a white christmas based on whats coming down the pipeline. As red sky stated tho...could just as easily be a cold rain kinda year. Lets hope not.

I will accept my rain and wet snow shower tomorrow and walk away in shame. Really thought there would be some better precip enhancement as the cold air rushed back in which doesnt look like it is going to materialize. Oh well....now that this system is dying a slow death maybe we can look ahead to the pattern change coming around the 3rd week of december? EPO poised to go negative just as disturbances undercut the ridge and allow the southern jet to get rather active. I sense better times ahead before month's end with a better than avg chance at a white christmas based on whats coming down the pipeline. As red sky stated tho...could just as easily be a cold rain kinda year. Lets hope not.

I took the December 1977 comment as a reference to what followed in January and February of 1978. That would not be too shabby at all.

Snowless Decembers typically lead to below normal snowfall winters. It's not always the case but you like to have all your ducks lined up going into January with some established favorable pattern before hand. Otherwise, more often than not, you get skunked.

Messing around with some #'s for Philly, nothing scientific just created some ranges which each provide a decent sample size"

26 yrs. with no measurable DEC snow - average 14.3" for the remainder of the season

23 yrs. with < 1" of measurable DEC snow - average 18.6" for the remainder of the season - :o

26 yrs. with 1-3" of DEC snow - average 16.6" for the remainder of the season

24 yrs. with 3-6" of DEC snow - average 16.3" for the remainder of the season

31 yrs. with > 6" of DEC snow - average 23.4" for the remainder of the season

Messing around with some #'s for Philly, nothing scientific just created some ranges which each provide a decent sample size"

26 yrs. with no measurable DEC snow - average 14.3" for the remainder of the season

23 yrs. with < 1" of measurable DEC snow - average 18.6" for the remainder of the season - :o

26 yrs. with 1-3" of DEC snow - average 16.6" for the remainder of the season

24 yrs. with 3-6" of DEC snow - average 16.3" for the remainder of the season

31 yrs. with > 6" of DEC snow - average 23.4" for the remainder of the season

Median might be more helpful with these, but it seems like you dont' just want normal, you want BIG December snow to ensure a good rest of the season.

Archived