ACY   18  1936                              ACY   18
 PHL   20  1936                              PHL    21
 ILG    15  1936                              ILG     19
 ABE   11  1924                              ABE   16
 TTN   17  1936                              TTN   18
 GED  20  1959                              GED   19
 RDG  18  1936                              RDG   16
 MPO  10  1933                              MPO    9

Should be interesting to see how this goes.

I found the ABE record of 11 in 1924 interesting - for PHL on the same date, the high was 41, the low was 23. How did that happen?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is from the Mt. Holly AFD, climate section:

11/19 RECORD LOWS:        11/19 FORECAST LOWS:

ACY   18  1936                              ACY   18

PHL   20  1936                              PHL    21

ILG    15  1936                              ILG     19

ABE   11  1924                              ABE   16

TTN   17  1936                              TTN   18

GED  20  1959                              GED   19

RDG  18  1936                              RDG   16

MPO  10  1933                              MPO    9

Should be interesting to see how this goes.

I found the ABE record of 11 in 1924 interesting - for PHL on the same date, the high was 41, the low was 23. How did that happen?

The downtown TTN office was 19 that morning.  Severe radiational cooling?  Quakertown was 5.

Who is going out later to freeze their butts off and watch the Leonids?

Best viewing time is midnight to dawn, with 10 to 15 per hour.

How many would you need to see to call it a success? Do you go back inside if 5 minutes have passed with none seen, or do you try to not waste your investment and hang in there stubbornly until you see one? If I'm awake I'll give it a shot. I haven't been outside lately to check the viewing conditions though.

Best viewing time is midnight to dawn, with 10 to 15 per hour.

How many would you need to see to call it a success? Do you go back inside if 5 minutes have passed with none seen, or do you try to not waste your investment and hang in there stubbornly until you see one? If I'm awake I'll give it a shot. I haven't been outside lately to check the viewing conditions though.

I generally give it at least 1/2 hour to 45 minutes as these things are erratic and you see them in bunches. Best i have ever seen is 20--25 an hour and this one tonight isn't one of the best.

37F may make freezing by midnight cold air is flooding over the apps

For those who enjoy insane snowfalls, you might want to check this thread out if you haven't already. It's ongoing....and wow....

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/44743-upstate-nynorth-country-adjacent-on-qc-vt-end-of-fallinto-winter/page-12

I've been lurking in there, thoses photos are insane! They better hope there aren't any sudden warm ups, or there will be a flooded basement or two.

I've been lurking in there, those photos are insane! They better hope there aren't any sudden warm ups, or there will be a flooded basement or two.

Yeah they sure are, lol. They're supposed to get another round Thursday and Thursday night followed by a warm-up of sorts with some rain early next week (similar to here). Hopefully not too warm and not too much rain.

PHL's average diurnal range through the years...

Interesting - at first I thought it might have something to do with more cloud cover, but couldn't find much data on that. It probably does have to do with nighttime temps being warmer (and warmer relative to daytime temps), whether due to cloud cover or not. I imagine this trend might not be as pronounced in less urban areas? 

Interesting - at first I thought it might have something to do with more cloud cover, but couldn't find much data on that. It probably does have to do with nighttime temps being warmer (and warmer relative to daytime temps), whether due to cloud cover or not. I imagine this trend might not be as pronounced in less urban areas? 

Yes, the idea was to illustrate the increasing urban heat island.  Here's Allentown, with almost no trend.

post-39-0-58240600-1416360327_thumb.png

Archived