joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August Discussion

TauntonBlizzard2013

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like we may have to cancel winter too.

Yup, Done before it even gets underway, Guess i will think about planting a second crop

Says the Met who got caught out in the middle of a lake in a lightning storm.

:lol:  Got caught out on Sebago once in a bad TS, But we were 5 miles from the dock at the time and would have rode right into the cell.............lol

so I am on a boat with a Met, doesn't he say hey, with my education, knowledge of the Atmosphere that looks like a Thunder storm with lightning approaching , or did you not throw your caution flag? LOL

True story. I'm in New Hampshire on a lake taking a long canoe ride solo in the vessel. I note cumulus but figure I'm ok for 2 hours. As clouds build I high tail it back to port but run out of time. I beach at a camp along the lake and the people there give me a ride back to where I was staying. I return after the storm to paddle the canoe home feelings sheepish with a gift offering of a nice pie.

True story. I'm in New Hampshire on a lake taking a long canoe ride solo in the vessel. I note cumulus but figure I'm ok for 2 hours. As clouds build I high tail it back to port but run out of time. I beach at a camp along the lake and the people there give me a ride back to where I was staying. I return after the storm to paddle the canoe home feelings sheepish with a gift offering of a nice pie.

Storms move in quick in the foothill lake regions, You see the 1st signs and make for shore, That comes with a lot of experience up here

Storms move in quick in the foothill lake regions, You see the 1st signs and make for shore, That comes with a lot of experience up here

I had my phone and the cell was turning more right looking like a miss. It then built northeast a tad. Luckily we got back right when it started to rain pretty good. The only one nervous was my wife..lol. I told her to rest assure..she was on the boat with five mets...what could go wrong?

I had my phone and the cell was turning more right looking like a miss. It then built northeast a tad. Luckily we got back right when it started to rain pretty good. The only one nervous was my wife..lol. I told her to rest assure..she was on the boat with five mets...what could go wrong?

lol, I am sure she found that very reassuring, When i was young, (8 yrs old) I was with my dad and gran dad up at Moosehead Lake, We had launched the boat in Rockwood to make the trek across the lake to the camp we were staying at, We got almost half way accross 5 miles when a storm came over Mt Kineo, Being in a 18' Old Town Sponson with a 5 hp motor we had no chance to make it the other 5 miles to camp before the storm i remember my dad placing me under a canvas tarp in the front of the boat so i would not get pelted with hail, It was a frightening experience to say the least

good thing you had your phone....

Yes, the propane tanks. Still probably my favorite LSR of all time. 

"Ottaquechee 10 ft over its banks...propane tanks are swiftly moving down stream. One tank has exploded."

lol I missed that one. 

I don't think anyone truly saw all the coming...I mean you knew there would be flooding, but not to the extend that occurred.  Its not like VT hasn't seen 3-6" rainfall systems (with spot higher amounts) in the past, but some combination of factors there led to massive/record flooding from Mass to the Canadian border all at the same time.  Usually its like wow there was bad flooding in southern VT or northern VT or whatever...but rarely *everywhere* all at the same time. 

Hydro never gets the headlines until it becomes super apparent that it's an issue.

I feel like it's not as hard hitting or appealing to hype like wind is. It is after the fact, when they have pics of bridges and houses floating away. I mean what would producers rather do...go live to a reporter down in NYC hoping the tide would flood them out or go live on Rt 100 in VT where people have no idea where that is? It's like Katrina...we know obviously how bad NO was, but the surge in MS IMHO sort of took a back seat. 

I feel like it's not as hard hitting or appealing to hype like wind is. It is after the fact, when they have pics of bridges and houses floating away. I mean what would producers rather do...go live to a reporter down in NYC hoping the tide would flood them out or go live on Rt 100 in VT where people have no idea where that is? It's like Katrina...we know obviously how bad NO was, but the surge in MS IMHO sort of took a back seat. 

Well it's definitely because it's hardly ever immediate. Wind, hail, tornadoes are all live and late breaking. Hydro takes some time usually.

I can still remember people in Iowa/Illinois heading down to the Mississippi to "see the crest" based on our river forecasts. If you can tell the difference between 25.1 and 25.2 feet then by all means enjoy the crest.

Well it's definitely because it's hardly ever immediate. Wind, hail, tornadoes are all live and late breaking. Hydro takes some time usually.

I can still remember people in Iowa/Illinois heading down to the Mississippi to "see the crest" based on our river forecasts. If you can tell the difference between 25.1 and 25.2 feet then by all means enjoy the crest.

Yeah exactly..it's usually after the fact, but you know it will come eventually. 

Archived