joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
T-Storms Part 2 : "North and West of the city!"

TalcottWx

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

0-6km shear values currently are stronger than forecasted and these values have been increasing west to east over the past several hours although this eastward progression may come to a halt shortly and could even weaken slightly.  

It's the 0-8km shear values which are really lagging behind the cold front...to get a really awesome nicely structured and organized squall line you would want 25-35+ knots of 0-8km shear but it's pretty meh.

If 0-8km shear was stronger we would probably see quite the vicious squall line today

Some of the mesos have 2 rounds of storms in some areas..A first round of discrete almost super cells..and then the main , damaging line comes thru between 7:00 and 10:00pm 

The HRRR actually does seem to have more in the way of discrete...well probably more of a broken line but composed of discrete cells.  Not really sure what to make of it but the mesos do continue to show elevated helicity values so an isolated tornado certainly is possible anywhere...especially if we get those cape values.  

The HRRR actually does seem to have more in the way of discrete...well probably more of a broken line but composed of discrete cells.  Not really sure what to make of it but the mesos do continue to show elevated helicity values so an isolated tornado certainly is possible anywhere...especially if we get those cape values.  

There's gonna be scattered discrete storms between about 1-3and then the massive squall line is late pm into evening..All the mesos show that scenario

When I looked at the lapse rates earlier I was quite happy, however, 500mb temps have actually warmed some over the past few hours and the 6-6.5 C/KM lapse rates that were in place from NY through central/northern New England are gone.  They could resteepen some as the front/trough approach and temps cool again

11z.......I paid for a weatherbell account, so it comes in a bit early.  Really does not have much until near 00z.  Just a couple of cells near the pike around 21z.

Wow...that is really interesting.  That's quite a turn around from the previous runs.  I wonder what the cause is?  

The HRRR doesn't seem to be as robust with cape as other guidance is.  In fact, neither is the RAP.  I wonder if this is a reason as to why these runs aren't as widespread with convection?  I don't see why we should see SBcape values approach 2500 with MLcape values of 1500-2000 and given those values that would off-set the more modest 0-6km shear we have and should compensate and really help updraft momentum...that's the only reason why I'm more excited is b/c we will have large cape values.  If those models are underplaying that than I would think they are underplaying convection?  

Archived