snowlover2

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT  

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MILWAUKEE/SULLIVAN WI  

1228 AM CDT TUE JUN 17 2014  

.TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON  

.DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.  

..REMARKS..  

1210 AM TORNADO MADISON 43.08N 89.38W  

06/17/2014 DANE WI LAW ENFORCEMENT  

ROOF TORN OFF OF HOUSE SOUTH OF SHOREWOOD HILLS ON  

WHITNEY WAY.  

Yeah, there is another circulation to the north that they have the TW on, but the TDS was further south.

There are definitely still a couple of circulations evident on the base velocity in the warning and a possible TDS just NE of Madison. Law enforcement reported damage with a tornado in Madison at 12:10AM CDT which would have been on the leading edge of the book end vortex. There may have been a TDS farther south near McFarland on the 12:29AM scan. Messy situation.

Verona was hit too, tornado marker showing up there.

1210 AM TORNADO VERONA 42.99N 89.54W
06/17/2014 DANE WI LAW ENFORCEMENT

WINDOWS BLOWN OUT OF HOUSE AND OTHER DAMAGE.

Not good, wrong time of day for a major population center to have damaging tornadoes.

I am starting to think the tornado watch was unnecessary at least for the Chicago area; the bulk of the severe storm is heading north, towards east of Madison, WI. It looks like we can get a brief downpour, maybe gusty winds; but it is seeming less likely, as least for the wee hours of the morning.

We just got power back.  Last night's storm was our worst in years.  The wind started howling, which I expected, but then the real intense stuff hit and pieces of debris(sticks) started pelting the house so I went to the basement for the first time since I was a kid.  The storm went on for nearly an hour.  In addition to the wind, it was also the best lightning I've seen in quite a while.  Combined with the next round of storms at 3am, my rain total was 2.81".  My trees/garden came through unscathed, but a small/moderate tree across the street was blown down and apparently a larger tree was knocked down onto a house on the next street.

I just walked around the block and there is significant tree damage.  On my street a small dead tree is down and a real nice medium-size tree up the street was snapped at the base.  On the next street a couple big trees have significant limb damage and one very large tree was yanked right out of the ground.

Archived