Newest Member
    joxey
May Banter Thread

Solak

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

saw 5 in 20 minutes around 3:30, along with 3 satellites, 2 jets, and a bat. :D

My dd and I were outside for about an hour and 4 times we saw teeny, tiny slow moving objects that eventually disappeared. The first one we saw looked the same way that the international space station looks when we can see it. I assumed that's what it was. Then when we saw 3 more over the hour, I was confused. No way was it a plane. I wonder if it's the satellites we saw. I never even gave a satellite a thought. 

As for meteors, we saw 3 pretty bright ones. That was before 12:30am.

My dd and I were outside for about an hour and 4 times we saw teeny, tiny slow moving objects that eventually disappeared. The first one we saw looked the same way that the international space station looks when we can see it. I assumed that's what it was. Then when we saw 3 more over the hour, I was confused. No way was it a plane. I wonder if it's the satellites we saw. I never even gave a satellite a thought. 

The ISS did make a 1 minute visible pass at 3:39am this morning at -0.5 magnitude. As for the meteor shower, it was a dud.

The meteorites with this event were suppose to be noticeably slower than normal ones, about 1/2-1/4 of normal speed, so the objects you saw were likely meteorites! It would have been awesome to see a sky-full of them, with the possibility of up to a thousand an hour, but unfortunately, it was a dud. :(

The meteorites with this event were suppose to be noticeably slower than normal ones, about 1/2-1/4 of normal speed, so the objects you saw were likely meteorites! It would have been awesome to see a sky-full of them, with the possibility of up to a thousand an hour, but unfortunately, it was a dud. :(

OH really? Well maybe it was meteors then. :)

We backpacked to the top of Mount Rogers a couple of years ago and pitched a tent overnight. There were wild horses and bears around our site all night. I was scared to death! BUT...the thing that we all remember most is the sky. I could have never imagined in my life the amount of stars in the sky. There were no homes, lights, etc anywhere near us, so it was super dark. I swear it looked as though someone had taken handfuls of glitter and tossed it into the sky...that's how many stars there were. We could even see the milky way.

I'm determined to hike it again and camp overnight at least once more in my lifetime.

The apparent speed is determined by the angle in which they approach your position.

Has anybody else watched the local weather forecasts on the new My Fox Carolinas station out of Charlotte?  Recently, WJZY became the FOX affiliate in Charlotte and WCCB has switched to be the CW affiliate.  The new weather team on WJZY just seems really gimmicky and amateurish (not that WCCB was that much better).  There are way too many graphics on their large touchscreen monitor, and they don't always work.  I have no idea if their forecasting is any good or not, because I can't get past the horrible graphics.

IMO, WCNC NBC (Brad Panovich) and WBTV CBS (Eric Thomas and Al Conklin) lead the way in professionalism, delivery, accuracy, and presentation.  WSOC ABC is a distant third.  WCCB CW is fourth, and WJZY FOX is off-the-charts last.

Has anybody else watched the local weather forecasts on the new My Fox Carolinas station out of Charlotte?  Recently, WJZY became the FOX affiliate in Charlotte and WCCB has switched to be the CW affiliate.  The new weather team on WJZY just seems really gimmicky and amateurish (not that WCCB was that much better).  There are way too many graphics on their large touchscreen monitor, and they don't always work.  I have no idea if their forecasting is any good or not, because I can't get past the horrible graphics.

IMO, WCNC NBC (Brad Panovich) and WBTV CBS (Eric Thomas and Al Conklin) lead the way in professionalism, delivery, accuracy, and presentation.  WSOC ABC is a distant third.  WCCB CW is fourth, and WJZY FOX is off-the-charts last.

Agreed..

Got HOT passes to the race today! Super pumped....never been to a race, so it'll be interesting to see all of the off-camera stuff that goes on. I anticipate seeing plenty of jorts, a significant occurrence of the number 3, and lots of belly busters.

Sounds like you can get right in the pits and garage area, right next to the action. :)

Got HOT passes to the race today! Super pumped....never been to a race, so it'll be interesting to see all of the off-camera stuff that goes on. I anticipate seeing plenty of jorts, a significant occurrence of the number 3, and lots of belly busters.

Sounds like you can get right in the pits and garage area, right next to the action. :)

You got tix to the 600? Sweet ! If its gonna be your first race, may as well be a huge one!

I've only been to one and it was in Charlotte . Like most sporting events, watching the people is way more fun, lots of drunks!!! The beer flows like wine! Go early and stop at the Bass Pro Shops, they are on the same exit! Have fun! :)

You got tix to the 600? Sweet ! If its gonna be your first race, may as well be a huge one!

I've only been to one and it was in Charlotte . Like most sporting events, watching the people is way more fun, lots of drunks!!! The beer flows like wine! Go early and stop at the Bass Pro Shops, they are on the same exit! Have fun! :)

Yeah man. Already hit up BPS. Awesome store! Don't have tix, exactly. Basically have pit/garage passes during the race. Trying to see if I can score some cheap tix to actually watch some of the race from the stands....no luck yet. Lots of drunks and beer and wine and liquor already lol!

Yeah man. Already hit up BPS. Awesome store! Don't have tix, exactly. Basically have pit/garage passes during the race. Trying to see if I can score some cheap tix to actually watch some of the race from the stands....no luck yet. Lots of drunks and beer and wine and liquor already lol!

Bring hearing protection.

CAN YOU HEAR ME?

Your lips are moving, but.... :(

It was a blast! And it really is amazing how loud it is. And it is amazing how many people had no hearing protection whatsoever.

We finally did buy some tix in the cheap section, which were still good seats. We hung in the pits for a while and saw a few pit stops. Saw most of the drivers up close and even got a few lug nuts from a Jeff Gordon pit stop. :) it was fun and my dad had a great time...it was kind of a birthday present for him.

Archived