• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
May 2014 General Discussion

Brewers

IND has a nice writeup on the May 30, 2004 Indiana tornado outbreak. I distinctly remember it as the Indy 500 was taking place.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ind/?n=2004tor_tracks

Pics of the Dayton EF-2 near LAF

I remember this one well, as the Dayton tornado was just down the road from where I live now. Also of course, the Indy tornado that was moving in as people were leaving the track. Almost the worst case scenario down there, but thankfully not.

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After such a long and cold winter I figured it would take awhile to get the lakes up to average temperature wise. Lake Erie is 56 degrees today which is 3 degrees above average. Crazy what 1-2 weeks of warmth and sun will do.

The surface is very susceptible to weather. I remember hearing that in the middle of Lake Huron, surface temps can drop 15 degrees over night.

I remember this one well, as the Dayton tornado was just down the road from where I live now. Also of course, the Indy tornado that was moving in as people were leaving the track. Almost the worst case scenario down there, but thankfully not.

I wasn't in LAF on that day but my sister was coming home from the Indy 500 and had stopped in LAF around the time that cell was passing through.  I remember her saying that the sirens were going off but she didn't actually see it.

If you plot that tornado and the 11/17/2013 EF3 on TornadoHistoryProject, it doesn't show the paths crossing but I'm pretty sure they did in an area north of Dayton. 

One thing that I had forgotten was the extremely heavy rains that accompanied the storms. I noticed on your almanac that IND got 3.80".  This makes sense as the tornadoes tracked along/just south of I 70, which would put the core of the storm right across the airport.

88F at the airport, but I had 90F in my van (which is usually 1F low) when i was driving thru town.   Warmest one yet, but humidity wasn't bad so it was very bearable.  Heat wave continues.  Noticed the NWS forecast has been coming up short on temps the past few days...

Blue Angels are in LaCrosse this weekend.  That "Fat Albert" plane flew over my house (like tree top level) the past two days.  Amazing to see such a large plane (C-130?) so low...  I get a kick out of that more then then F18's...

we've had some massive temp differences the past few days…p common this time of year but 20+ each day.

Yep, last night for instance it was in the mid 50s here at 9pm, while through most of the Mississippi Valley it was still in the 80s.  Of course, as you have said, the extra cool lake this year is the reason.

High 72° today - perfect. Kind of odd that RAC beat UGN at 73°.

Month to date : +0.94°.

Lately Waukegan has been kind of the cool spot of the lakeside locations, I remember that being the case a lot the last couple years, but only recently has it been reinstated.

I wasn't in LAF on that day but my sister was coming home from the Indy 500 and had stopped in LAF around the time that cell was passing through.  I remember her saying that the sirens were going off but she didn't actually see it.

If you plot that tornado and the 11/17/2013 EF3 on TornadoHistoryProject, it doesn't show the paths crossing but I'm pretty sure they did in an area north of Dayton. 

Dayton is our local tornado alley, seemingly.

Could be a photo finish as to whether we end up on the positive or negative side for May temps.  If you plug in the forecast highs/lows for the next several days, it comes out pretty close to 0.

Sitting at 0.0 through May 30.  With today's high/low, we will likely finish the month either +0.1 or +0.2...an average month for all intents and purposes but technically the first + month here since September.

Archived