• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Heavy Rain/Flooding 4/30-5/1

bluewave

Yeah I think no matter how you cut it, this is a 2.5" to 5" widespread rainfall across much of our area. For most, I'm thinking 3.5" to 4.5"

Sent from my iPhone

That's a pretty good call. Upton lowered amounts a tad to a basin average ~3.00".

My thinking is ~4.00" NW of NYC and SW of NYC and 2-3.00" east of NYC and NE.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a pretty good call. Upton lowered amounts a tad to a basin average ~3.00".

My thinking is ~4.00" NW of NYC and SW of NYC and 2-3.00" east of NYC and NE.

I remember the last major rain event, models were calling for 3-5" and as we got closer to the event, lowered the qpf to 2-3" or even lower....and most of us ended up verifying with the original model amounts of 3-5". I guess they don't factor in too much of the precip enhancement, although the short range meso models do much better

Sent from my iPhone

I remember the last major rain event, models were calling for 3-5" and as we got closer to the event, lowered the qpf to 2-3" or even lower....and most of us ended up verifying with the original model amounts of 3-5". I guess they don't factor in too much of the precip enhancement, although the short range meso models do much better

Sent from my iPhone

Well WPC is still going with widespread 3"+.

If some of the higher res short term models are correct, it will come down in buckets tomorrow morning and then again tomorrow evening. The 4k NAM has most areas already ~1.50" by lunchtime tomorrow.

d13_fill.gif

Yeah I think no matter how you cut it, this is a 2.5" to 5" widespread rainfall across much of our area. For most, I'm thinking 3.5" to 4.5"

Sent from my iPhone

Models seem to be having the heaviest rainfall area in an axis from N NJ to around the DC area. That's where it seems to train over the longest. East of there may only have heavy rain when the front passes. I think from the city east there's a decent bust potential, if the heaviest rain is confined for much of the event west of the city, there might only be 1-2" rather than the 3-4" advertised now.

Well WPC is still going with widespread 3"+.

If some of the higher res short term models are correct, it will come down in buckets tomorrow morning and then again tomorrow evening. The 4k NAM has most areas already ~1.50" by lunchtime tomorrow.

Hopefully they can get the game in tonight

Models seem to be having the heaviest rainfall area in an axis from N NJ to around the DC area. That's where it seems to train over the longest. East of there may only have heavy rain when the front passes. I think from the city east there's a decent bust potential, if the heaviest rain is confined for much of the event west of the city, there might only be 1-2" rather than the 3-4" advertised now.

Nothing for nothing but nobody cares if Manhattan has 3" of rain. It's not going to be anything more than a nuisance rain for them. It matters a lot more in places that are vulnerable to flooding and flash flooding.

I think they should get the game in tonight, but Sabathia is pitching and he always seems to get rained on

Sent from my iPhone

The rain near Lancaster looks moderate. Will have to see if it holds together. Also they usually won't start a game in the rain as opposed to starting before light rain hits and then playing through it. Either way a miserable raw night is on tap.

I don't care for Mr. G, but I just heard him said some of the activity on Wednesday night could be on the severe side. Does anybody else here think so? I for one, don't, but I just thought I'd get somebody else's opinion. Then again, maybe I heard him wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's what he said.

Severe looks unlikely but possible. SPC had us in day 3 see text.

I took this photo around 850 tonight. It was even higher around 930.

http://oi60.tinypic.com/24gu8hx.jpg

Tried to take a pic but it was too dark. Water in the streets in the typical spots. Although the water was almost nearing the "moderate" flood stage- at least using my unscientific eyeball test of saying "when the water reaches this spot on the street, it's moderate flooding"

Tried to take a pic but it was too dark. Water in the streets in the typical spots. Although the water was almost nearing the "moderate" flood stage- at least using my unscientific eyeball test of saying "when the water reaches this spot on the street, it's moderate flooding"

The bays around Long Beach looked quite high tonight and choppy. Tomorrow I'm sure it will be even higher with the east wind continuing to pile in water. I'm sure the usual spots like Freeport will have problems. Maybe even parts of Island Park.

The bays around Long Beach looked quite high tonight and choppy. Tomorrow I'm sure it will be even higher with the east wind continuing to pile in water. I'm sure the usual spots like Freeport will have problems. Maybe even parts of Island Park.

Freeport always has minor flooding.

The wildcard is where the surface based convection sets up tomorrow after the warm front moves

through late tonight. Any storms that can initiate tomorrow would be falling on saturated ground.

Also note how steep the mid-level lapse rates are going to be like we have been seeing this

year so far.

JFK 12z Thursday

Precipitable water:        1.56 inches700-500 lapse rate:        7.03 C/kmCap Strength:              2.22 CLifted Index:             -0.54 C Showalter Index:          -2.29 C 

Archived