CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Heavy Rain/Flooding 4/30-5/1

bluewave

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course now that I posted that we'll be raining by 12z tomorrow the 12z NAM is coming in considerably slower.

I still don't see tomorrow being a washout for most places. Some areas east of the city may see little to nothing and even western areas its probably scattered showers. I feel like we've seen these heavy rain events so many times before where it goes from a 48 hour event, to 24 hours and ends up that most place see the majority of the rain fall in 12 hours. Doesn't mean it wont rain tomorrow and Thursday but the bulk falls Wednesday and Wednesday night.

I still don't see tomorrow being a washout for most places. Some areas east of the city may see little to nothing and even western areas its probably scattered showers. I feel like we've seen these heavy rain events so many times before where it goes from a 48 hour event, to 24 hours and ends up that most place see the majority of the rain fall in 12 hours. Doesn't mean it wont rain tomorrow and Thursday but the bulk falls Wednesday and Wednesday night.

I think it's been fairly well modeled thus far that a majority of the rain will fall in about a 12-18 hour period sometime between late Wednesday afternoon and early Thursday morning. The 00z GGEM and 00z ECMWF are more pessimistic about Tuesday, especially west of NYC and the 06z GFS has an actual period of rain for everyone tomorrow afternoon. Given the blocking and slow nature of the system and excellent model continuity a prolonged rain event is more than likely.

I'm sure it's been touched on already, but the consistent strong east winds may cause some significant coastal flooding due to the duration of those winds piling up water especially in bays.

And the New Moon, which is the most important factor.

Well don't expect torching temperatures with the upcoming pattern if you're into that sort of thing. I'll take the cooler blocky pattern over the heat any day.

Once the NAO finally breaks, probably mid month, we could go into a torchy period and 80s, perhaps 90s. Usually once these patterns break the heat surges in not long after, as often heat builds in over the Midwest when we are cold.

Once the NAO finally breaks, probably mid month, we could go into a torchy period and 80s, perhaps 90s. Usually once these patterns break the heat surges in not long after, as often heat builds in over the Midwest when we are cold.

What says the NAO will break mid-month? We just went many months in a row with a positive NAO, it will eventually even out.

I wouldn't be shocked at all if we entered the wettest period that we've seen since August of 2011.

What says the NAO will break mid-month? We just went many months in a row with a positive NAO, it will eventually even out.

I wouldn't be shocked at all if we entered the wettest period that we've seen since August of 2011.

The longer range GFS and Euro have us going back to more of a +NAO or neutral, with the PV reappearing around Baffin Bay. It might be too quick on this, but blocking persisting for weeks on end is highly unusual for sure in May.

My thoughts as well. That's how it can go sometimes. You can go from barely spring weather right to summer when the pattern flips. We very well may go from wet and cool to hot pretty quickly

The longer range GFS and Euro have us going back to more of a +NAO or neutral, with the PV reappearing around Baffin Bay. It might be too quick on this, but blocking persisting for weeks on end is highly unusual for sure in May.

I'm not saying it's not going to happen or will happen, but I think to say that we flip mid-month is pre-mature.

Eventually the warm weather will come, it's inevitable. But this might be one of those summers where it rains four days in a row in July and we get stuck in the 60's for a few days. I've had plenty of summer vacations to the Jersey shore ruined like that in years passed.

Flood Watches Hoisted for most of Mt. Holly's Central and Northern NJ counties.

FLOOD WATCH
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ
304 PM EDT MON APR 28 2014

NJZ001-007>010-012-013-015-PAZ054-055-061-062-105-106-290900-
/O.NEW.KPHI.FA.A.0004.140430T1400Z-140501T1600Z/
/00000.0.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/
SUSSEX-WARREN-MORRIS-HUNTERDON-SOMERSET-MIDDLESEX-
WESTERN MONMOUTH-MERCER-CARBON-MONROE-LEHIGH-NORTHAMPTON-
UPPER BUCKS-LOWER BUCKS-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEWTON...WASHINGTON...MORRISTOWN...
FLEMINGTON...SOMERVILLE...NEW BRUNSWICK...FREEHOLD...TRENTON...
JIM THORPE...STROUDSBURG...ALLENTOWN...BETHLEHEM...EASTON...
CHALFONT...PERKASIE...MORRISVILLE...DOYLESTOWN
304 PM EDT MON APR 28 2014

...FLOOD WATCH IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY MORNING THROUGH THURSDAY
MORNING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MOUNT HOLLY HAS ISSUED A

* FLOOD WATCH FOR PORTIONS OF NORTHERN AND CENTRAL NEW JERSEY AND
  NORTHEAST PENNSYLVANIA...INCLUDING THE FOLLOWING AREAS...IN NEW
  JERSEY...HUNTERDON...MERCER...MIDDLESEX...MORRIS...SOMERSET...
  SUSSEX...WARREN AND WESTERN MONMOUTH. IN PENNSYLVANIA...CARBON...
  LEHIGH... LOWER BUCKS...MONROE...NORTHAMPTON AND UPPER BUCKS.

* FROM WEDNESDAY MORNING THROUGH THURSDAY MORNING

* FORECAST RAINFALL OF 2 TO 4 INCHES OVER PORTIONS OF NORTHEAST
  PENNSYLVANIA AS WELL WELL AS NORTHERN AND CENTRAL NEW JERSEY
  WEDNESDAY AND WEDNESDAY NIGHT MAY RESULT IN POCKETS OF SMALL
  STREAM AND RIVER FLOODING.

* THE WATCH EXTENDS INTO THURSDAY...WELL AFTER THE HEAVIEST RAIN
  HAS OCCURRED SINCE ANY FLOODING AND CRESTS OF THE LARGER RIVERS
  MAY BE DELAYED UNTIL WELL AFTER THE RAIN ENDS.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A FLOOD WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR FLOODING BASED ON
CURRENT FORECASTS.

YOU SHOULD MONITOR LATER FORECASTS AND BE ALERT FOR POSSIBLE
FLOOD WARNINGS. THOSE LIVING IN AREAS PRONE TO FLOODING SHOULD BE
PREPARED TO TAKE ACTION SHOULD FLOODING DEVELOP.

Archived