• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2014 Short Term Severe Weather Disco

Chicago Storm

Actually, I saw a pic on twitter of a fully condensed tor. I posted it on the US Tor twitter account. The guy who posted it said he took it at 505 cdt which is right at the best signature on radar. Said it was NW of Luverne at 120th or somthing.

~Sent from a device that cannot speel.

Just NW Luverne,MN at around 5:05 CDT. #mnwx RT @e21woodley: Actual tornado from today northwest of town pic.twitter.com/AsOUtkriiG

Yup.  Saw this or a different photo of the same tornado on KDLT tonight.  I'm going to mention it to the people at the office tomorrow, but unless the EM reported damage they'll probably just call it an EF0.

I also saw a photo of a TOG south of Sioux Falls with the initial supercell.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Currently sitting in Tucumcari trying to figure out which direction to head.  Was initially going to follow storms coming off the Sangres between here and Las Vegas but that area looks too stable now.  Think I'm now going to go south to Clovis and play the OFB(s) again.  The HRR devlops some discrete supes west of Clovis and North of Roswell so thats what I"m going to hope for.

Tornado watch expected for the Front Range by 19z, this has been quite a productive upsloping pattern we have been in.

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0897
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
1231 PM CDT SUN JUN 08 2014

AREAS AFFECTED...ERN CO

CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH LIKELY

VALID 081731Z - 081900Z

PROBABILITY OF WATCH ISSUANCE...80 PERCENT

SUMMARY...SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS ARE EXPECTED ACROSS EASTERN COLORADO
THIS AFTERNOON. LARGE HAIL AND DAMAGING WINDS ARE LIKELY...ALONG
WITH A RISK OF TORNADOES.

DISCUSSION...WELL-DEFINED SHORT-WAVE TROUGH IS PROGRESSING ACROSS
THE CNTRL ROCKIES AT ROUGHLY 35KT. LARGE SCALE ASCENT IS INCREASING
ACROSS MUCH OF CO WITH A BAND OF CONVECTION GRADUALLY INCREASING IN
INTENSITY FROM BOULDER COUNTY...SWWD TO LA PLATA COUNTY. NUMEROUS
BREAKS IN LOW CLOUDS EXIST ALONG THE FRONT RANGE WITH SUBSTANTIAL
HEATING ONGOING IMMEDIATELY AHEAD OF AFOREMENTIONED BAND OF TSTMS.
GIVEN THE LARGE SCALE ASCENT...IT SEEMS LIKELY THAT A BROKEN SQUALL
LINE WITH EMBEDDED SUPERCELLS SHOULD INTENSIFY AS IT MOVES OFF THE
HIGHER TERRAIN ACROSS A MORE MOIST/UNSTABLE AIRMASS ALONG THE FRONT
RANGE. LARGE HAIL WILL BE COMMON WITH THIS ACTIVITY AND TORNADOES
CAN NOT BE RULED OUT EARLY IN THE CONVECTIVE CYCLE. HOWEVER...THERE
IS GROWING CONFIDENCE THAT DAMAGING WINDS MAY BECOME COMMON AS
SQUALL LINE MATURES OVER THE PLAINS AND DRIVES SEWD TOWARD THE CO/NM
BORDER...EVENTUALLY PROPAGATING INTO THE SRN HIGH PLAINS LATER THIS
EVENING.

..DARROW/WEISS.. 06/08/2014

Book-end / line-echo-wave-pattern moving toward Memphis at the moment. Appropriately, it is tornado warned in Arkansas. Tennessee Valley sub-form will probably cover it in the coming hours as it works through North Mississippi and West Tennessee.

Moderate risk upgrade mentioned for tomorrow.

POTENTIAL EXISTS FOR SIGNIFICANT SEVERE EVENTS WITH VERY LARGE HAIL
AND DAMAGING WIND WITHIN THIS REGION...AND THIS AREA MAY NEED TO BE
INCLUDED IN A MODERATE RISK UPGRADE IN DAY 1 UPDATES.

Looks like Texas will have a set-up on Thursday. Outflow boundary will intersect front and/or triple point in Central Texas or perhaps North Texas. I expect some morning rain to be in progress early Thursday. It should establish an outflow boundary OFB to work with. The 850 mb winds may be straight south, not backed too much south of the OFB; however, those 850 winds should back slightly along the OFB. Winds quickly veer aloft starting at 700 up through 500 mb. Jet stream level winds should be just enough. All of the above presents a possible chasable set-up in Central/North Texas on Thursday.

Surface moisture should return, despite dews down in the low to mid-60s today. Dews in the 70s have returned near Houston and are heading up I-45 tonight. It is always possible that morning thunderstorms never weaken, and create a sloppy environment near the triple point TP. If chasing, my preferred cell would be at the TP or the second one east of the TP. Some guidance shows cells going south of the TP along the front. Those would offer clearer viewing, but I'm not sure about tornado probability down there. Either way looks like some Texas size fun on Thursday!

Yeah, low level winds look pretty wussy but the rapid veering to the NW flow aloft certainly helps. CAPE also has the potential to be ridiculous, with surface-based values running anywhere from 3000-5000 J/kg. If we can get just enough wind backing at the surface and/or if the winds can be just a little stronger than progged, we might have something.

Preliminary plan here is to drive up to Hillsboro after a morning of work tomorrow and play things from there. 2014, just as I've given up hope on you...  :rolleyes:

Low level flow looks pretty anemic though which should temper some of the tornado potential.

Also, there's more CAPE in that sounding than 2500 J/kg if that is the profile.

But I wouldn't trust how it's handling the bl.  Even with a pitiful 5 kt surface wind, I don't know you'll get that much moisture layer right at the sfc.  You kick it up to 10 kt and you definitely won't, and then you have to start worrying a bit about high LCLs.

I wouldn't be super concerned either.  Just thinking that the rapid moistening in the bl is probably unrealistic, considering you aren't dealing with corn or some other vegetation that evapotranspirates in huge quantities.  

Side note: based on your sig, shouldn't you have a red tag?

I will not be surprised to see a Moderate Risk Upgrade from the Storm Prediction Center at 1730Z today across portions of the Hill County/E/SE Texas (N of I-10) extending E into Louisiana. We need to watch for development later today around Junction into Austin/Waco and possibly College Station on E toward Lufkin and just S of Shreveport.

Tough forecast shaping up for Texas today. While it is not a travel set-up, it is absolutely a chase day if one lives in state. Two boundaries intersect the synoptic front. North boundary in blue is outflow from thunderstorms. South boundary in red marks the leading edge of more robust south winds.

This afternoon instability will be higher on the south red boundary, but it may lift north through the day. Ambient low level turning is slightly better on the north blue OFB; look for it to drift south. High res models keep the boundaries separate, with cells going on each, and that makes conceptual sense. High-res NAM introduces better storm inflow on the south cells, which would be along the south boundary. I assume the NAM likes the stronger south winds, vs little more turning north. HRRR has cells going earlier than the NAM; and, I'd trust HRRR timing and position better. However my hybrid forecast relies on NAM for cell selection. I'd note the best cell relative to the others on the NAM; then, go to the same cell in that relative position on the HRRR. Maybe that is too much model mania, but it is just a forecast.

Nowcast I'm still all about surface and VIS satellite; and, that will be the method after about 19-20Z. Finally I would suggest not chasing within the DFW Metroplex. However Interstates on the southeast side of Dallas are usually not crowded, even in rush hour, in contrast to 635 on the north side. One could use southeast Dallas Interstates to travel or get into position, but I would never chase within the Metroplex. Should go south of town anyway. Enjoy!

EDIT: Cell of the day will probably be in Central Texas if not South Texas. Looks to start along I-35 SAT-AUS and later up toward North Texas. South storms should have better inflow than north storms. Nowcast which one of the southern cluster. Should get really going east of I-35, better for both people and chasers.

At 1300 Central 1800 UTC outflow boundary sat from just north of Austin over to Huntsville, TX.

post-2545-0-03208600-1402585843_thumb.pn

I'm at work, but near full Sun in Houston, and as a guy who once listened to an AM polka station in Jarrell while driving between college and DFW, I took interest in that storm, very high CAPE can apparently overcome light surface winds, especially if there is a low level boundary enhancing helicity near the storm.  I've seen numbers near 6000 J/Kg for the estimated CAPE at Jarrell.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/publications/corfidi/jarrell.htm

MUCAPE at FWD was already almost 3600 J/Kg at 7 am.  4133 J/Kg at LCH.  Even MLCAPE is almost 3000 J/Kg there.

And there are boundaries.

Watch likely for central Texas.  BTW   93/73 at Hondo, TX

-----

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0972   NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK   0219 PM CDT THU JUN 12 2014   AREAS AFFECTED...W-CNTRL AND CNTRL TX   CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH LIKELY    VALID 121919Z - 122115Z   PROBABILITY OF WATCH ISSUANCE...80 PERCENT

---

Wow, no 10% tornado at the intersection of the front and OFB on the 20Z, which would still be slight. Currently OFB sits from just north of Austin over to north of Huntsville, TX. More precisely might be from between Georgetown and Temple, stretching east over toward Madisonville on I-45.

HRRR is not clear on which cells rotate best, so SPC punts. What about some fundamental meteorology? Might be a cell or two ahead of the main cluster. Such a cell would have access to the more rich inflow. Cells may start west of I-35, but perhaps not really get spinning until east of I-35. Golfball to baseball hail can be expected, however, shortly after radar echos appear.

Archived