PROBABILITY OF WATCH ISSUANCE...80 PERCENT

SUMMARY...SEVERE STORMS ARE EXPECTED TO FORM LATER THIS

AFTERNOON...WITH LARGE HAIL...DAMAGING WINDS AND A TORNADO OR TWO

EXPECTED. A WATCH IS LIKELY BY 21Z.

DISCUSSION...SURFACE ANALYSIS SHOWS A CONTINUED INFLUX OF LOW-LEVEL

MOISTURE NWWD INTO CNTRL MT WHERE STRONG HEATING ALSO PERSISTS. THE

PRESENCE OF COOL TEMPERATURES ALOFT AS WELL AS AMPLE DEEP LAYER

SHEAR IS RESULTING IN A FAVORABLE ENVIRONMENT FOR SUPERCELLS CAPABLE

OF LARGE HAIL AND/OR BOWING SEGMENTS WITH DAMAGING WINDS.

THE BEST TORNADO THREAT WOULD APPEAR TO BE ACROSS CNTRL AND NRN MT

WHERE LOW-LEVEL SHEAR IS STRONGER AND WHERE LCL HEIGHTS WILL REMAIN

LOWEST. ANY SUPERCELLS FORMING UPSTREAM AND MOVING INTO THIS

ENVIRONMENT COULD PRODUCE A TORNADO...ASSUMING OUTFLOW DOES NOT GET

OUT OF HAND.

..JEWELL/CORFIDI.. 05/28/2014

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To add on, the 19z GGW sounding showed a pretty stout cap that will take some work to erode, SK near the WF should still be the best play. 18z NAM shows some nasty soundings up there as late as 03z (still only weakly capped at that time too).

Low-mid 60s dewpoints have reached east central MT.

First attempt at initiation over the Great Sand Hills.

Dp's only in the upper 40's across that area as of now though.

Also have storms going east of Billings.

Looks like upper 50s dewpoints have reached the border in NE MT.

5% tornado risk last two days, red box. 10% tornado risk today, blue box. Lol wut.

Yeah that aspect is a bit odd. SPC is awesome but they've seemingly had greater forecaster to forecaster continuity issues lately than normal at least from what I can see. Spreads always looked like an issue despite quality shear (plus some kinked hodos in MT).

Good lord the RAP is such an awful model, it's showing upper 60s/70s dewpoints in central Montana currently (and then other times it is vastly underdoing them and overmixing with poor temperature progs). Someone put it out of its misery.

Good lord the RAP is such an awful model, it's showing upper 60s/70s dewpoints in central Montana currently (and then other times it is vastly underdoing them and overmixing with poor temperature progs). Someone put it out of its misery.

Doesn't it serve to initialize the HRRR?

Should we start discussing Sat-Sun in here?

At FSD we've been making fun of TWC putting out a TORCON 5 for eastern SD.  imo, it looks like central SD along the WF could be in play (more so than the eastern part of the state anyway) but you'll have issues with too much precip up there.  Better structure is probably down along the dryline in western KS or southwestern NE, although bases are probably a bit high for tornadoes.

I'm considering chasing the northern target since it's a weekend, but I'm not all that excited about it.  If it ends up being a 4+ hour drive, eh...

Got to the south western KS around 4 and watched the southern two cells. Saw a remarkably wide land spout at one point (not the one that prompted the tornado warning), and the southern most cell had a decent mesocyclone and wall cloud at one point.

Stupid epic lightning show along this MCS right now. I'm seeing a good 5-8 flashes per second across my whole field of vision.

For the second time this week I saw a funnel cloud out the window of the NWS office.

It was in the rain shaft.  I snapped a pic with my iPhone but it didn't really come out, and then it dissipated a few seconds earlier.

Nonetheless, yet another exciting day on the ops floor.

Actually, I saw a pic on twitter of a fully condensed tor. I posted it on the US Tor twitter account. The guy who posted it said he took it at 505 cdt which is right at the best signature on radar. Said it was NW of Luverne at 120th or somthing.

~Sent from a device that cannot speel.

Archived