Newest Member
    joxey
2014 Short Term Severe Weather Disco

Chicago Storm

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chaser culture blows.

Possible something briefly tho it was sitting behind outflow. Social media curse. Still have a hard time understanding how NWS doesn't vet reports better tho. See TX yesterday as a glaring example.

Possible something briefly tho it was sitting behind outflow. Social media curse. Still have a hard time understanding how NWS doesn't vet reports better tho. See TX yesterday as a wrong example.

Looks like it was reported by someone in the Forest Service per LSR.

Strong rotation with the tor'd cell near Christine, TX (south of San Antonio).

Impressive environment down there with ESRH of 200-300+ m2/s2, dewpoints into the upper 60s to mid 70s closer to the coast and MLCAPE into the 2000+ J/kg range, wouldn't be surprised if a tornado watch is hoisted shortly.

12z model runs continue to paint quite an impressive picture for tomorrow in E MT and perhaps into S SK as the lead edge of stronger mid level flow begins to nose into the region ahead of the Northern Rockies ULL. A tongue of upper 50s/lower 60s dewpoints looks to advect into the area encouraged by strong backing of the low level flow (which will also push low level shear into impressive ranges with large, clockwise curved hodographs) and, in conjunction with steep mid level lapse rates, should lead to MLCAPE of 2000+ J/kg developing south of the WF. Capping still appears to be a bit of a concern with the warm 700 mb temperatures in place. The latitudinal extent of those will be crucial in determining storm coverage tomorrow. Assuming LCL heights aren't too limiting, there could be a few tornadic supercells given the environment.

I am looking at the 18z NAM, point forecast of Montana/Saskatchewan border, south of Moose Jaw, 00z Thursday (6pm Wednesday). It shows a very nice temperature and wind profile, with a surface dew point of about 60 (15.5C for you Canadian folks out there.) It has a consistently increasing wind from 20kt at the surface to 65kt at 250mb, with respectable directional shear, and about 300m2/s2 of 3km SR-helicity. CAPE is about 3000 J/kg. The 4km NAM actually doesn't show much convection around there though.

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0732

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

0534 PM CDT TUE MAY 27 2014

AREAS AFFECTED...SRN TX

CONCERNING...TORNADO WATCH 192...

VALID 272234Z - 280000Z

CORRECTED FOR WORDING IN SUMMARY

THE SEVERE WEATHER THREAT FOR TORNADO WATCH 192 CONTINUES.

SUMMARY...TORNADO THREAT MAY REMAIN LOCALLY HIGHER ACROSS SRN THIRD

OF WW 192 INCLUDING THE CORPUS CHRISTI VICINITY THROUGH 00Z.

DISCUSSION...EARLY THIS EVENING A SMALL CLUSTER OF STORMS WAS

LOCATED OVER LIVE OAK COUNTY IN SRN TX MOVING SOUTH AT 20-25 KT.

STORM MERGERS HAD RESULTED IN A TEMPORARY DISRUPTION OF STORM

ORGANIZATION...BUT ACTIVITY APPEARS TO BE REORGANIZING AND TAKING ON

SUPERCELL STRUCTURES. THESE STORMS ARE LOCATED AT THE MERGER OF TWO

BOUNDARIES AND WILL TRACK SWD ALONG THE STATIONARY BOUNDARY NEXT

COUPLE HOURS WHERE LOW-LEVEL SHEAR IS LOCALLY ENHANCED. THE VWP FROM

CORPUS CHRISTI INDICATES VEERING LOW-LEVEL WINDS WITH UP TO 150

M2/S2 STORM RELATIVE HELICITY AND 50 KT 0-6 KM SHEAR. THIS STORM

WILL HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO INTENSIFY FURTHER AND ORGANIZE A

LOW-LEVEL MESOCYCLONE AS IT CONTINUES SWD INTO THE MOIST AND

MODERATELY UNSTABLE WARM SECTOR.

FARTHER NORTH OTHER STORMS WERE DEVELOPING OVER KERR...BANDERA AND

GILLESPIE COUNTIES ACROSS SCNTRL TX. THESE STORMS APPEAR TO HAVE

BEEN INITIATED ALONG A SLOWLY WWD MOVING OUTFLOW BOUNDARY AND WILL

BE CAPABLE OF PRODUCING LARGE HAIL AND PERHAPS A TORNADO BEFORE

POSSIBLY BECOMING UNDERCUT.

..DIAL.. 05/27/2014

Velocity signature looks pretty messy so I doubt it.

I'd agree with this. Velocity is messy, there is no drop in CC, and KDP hasn't cut out either. Looks like a rain (or hail) wrapped mesocyclone to me. I've been keeping an eye on it for a bit and that supercell has remained quite outflow dominant for most of its life.

I'd agree with this. Velocity is messy, there is no drop in CC, and KDP hasn't cut out either. Looks like a rain (or hail) wrapped mesocyclone to me. I've been keeping an eye on it for a bit and that supercell has remained quite outflow dominant for most of its life.

A lot of precip loading in the RFD, seems like typical 2014 behaviour.

Meanwhile that cell near Burnet has had a strong couplet for like 10 scans in a row now.

A lot of precip loading in the RFD, seems like typical 2014 behaviour.

Meanwhile that cell near Burnet has had a strong couplet for like 10 scans in a row now.

Yep, I was originally set up in Burnet today but decided to dive south for the southern storm before calling off my chase today. I'm really kicking myself for my decision right now. Ian is putting some pretty good photos of that storm on Twitter right now.

LCL heights are probably the thing missing tomorrow if moisture is being overestimated (along with capping).

Last time we skipped MT at the end of a trip awesomeness ensued in 2012 so there's that going for it. Wanted to go but we are so far south it just doesn't make sense at this pt in the trip.

If chasing today I'd probably initially set-up in in/near a triangle from the Shaunavon to the Great Sand Hills to Swift Current.

Nice tongue of moisture and theta-e into that area, with backed winds. Should have a decent threat in the 21-4z time-frame around there, and then transitioning east.

One of these days when there's a solid 2 or especially 3 day potential up there I'll give it a go...

Archived