joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2014 Short Term Severe Weather Disco

Chicago Storm

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Murphy's Law strikes again! My meteorology was sound and I picked the right storm (the one that started near Evant), but ended up getting stuck in some mud for a time period. Sure enough, that cell started producing tornadoes while I was out of action and I couldn't catch back up before dark.

Crazy-intense lightning with these storms driving back. Most I've seen in a very long time. Puts my other chases to shame in the electrical category.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not quite severe weather related but tied to a severe storm earlier. Omaha & Council Bluffs area is dealing with some significant flash flooding tonight. Anywhere from 3.5 to over 6" (TV reported but not NWS verified that I can see yet) of rain in a few hours. Strong wording for the flash flood warning.

FLASH FLOOD STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE OMAHA/VALLEY NEBRASKA
1053 PM CDT FRI JUN 20 2014

IAC155-NEC055-153-210845-
/O.CON.KOAX.FF.W.0021.000000T0000Z-140621T0845Z/
/00000.0.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/
POTTAWATTAMIE IA-DOUGLAS NE-SARPY NE-
1053 PM CDT FRI JUN 20 2014

...THE FLASH FLOOD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 345 AM CDT
SATURDAY FOR SOUTHWESTERN POTTAWATTAMIE...EASTERN DOUGLAS AND
NORTHEASTERN SARPY COUNTIES...

AT 1050 PM CDT...THE PUBLIC REPORTED FLASH FLOODING OCCURRING IN THE
OMAHA...COUNCIL BLUFFS METRO. DONT DRIVE ANYWHERE IN OMAHA OR
COUNCIL BLUFFS. IN LA VISTA...AS MUCH AS FIVE INCHES OF RAIN HAS
BEEN REPORTED. ELSEWHERE IN THE METRO AREA THREE TO FOUR INCHES OF
RAIN IS COMMON. FLASH FLOODING IS ALREADY OCCURRING.

SOME LOCATIONS THAT WILL EXPERIENCE FLOODING INCLUDE...
OMAHA...COUNCIL BLUFFS...BELLEVUE...PAPILLION...LA VISTA...RALSTON...
MILLARD...CARTER LAKE...BOYS TOWN...CRESCENT...LAKE MANAWA STATE
PARK...NARROWS RIVER PARK AND CHALCO.

Yeah, this is a near worst case scenario for the Omaha area with the flooding from the Missouri cresting this weekend and now this absolutely intense amount of rain. 8.1" of rain confirmed at Millard airport so far and it's still got hours of "general" rain to go. Not quite as bad as the epic flooding of 2011 but its going to be hairy.

Some pretty big winds within the MCS that rolled through last night. Pampa, TX had (5-min) sustained winds of 71 mph and gusted to 93mph, and the Minco, OK mesonet gusted to 83 mph last night as well, along with a smattering of 60+ gusts in the TX panhandle and western Oklahoma.

10321140_766136786742644_195167639621114

post-28-0-08323000-1403542108_thumb.png

today.gust.gif

Pretty sure that's not the same storm (edit: or at least not the same time/location). Also whatever was in WY was buried in rain so the report is suspect on that fact alone.

For whatever reason the reports of wedges and multi-vortex tornadoes have skyrocketed.. I suppose because they have been popularized. Heck, even many of the wedges chasers call wedges aren't wedges based on the original "definition."

Pretty sure that's not the same storm. Also whatever was in WY was buried in rain so the report is suspect on that fact alone.

For whatever reason the reports of wedges and multi-vortex tornadoes have skyrocketed.. I suppose because they have been popularized. Heck, even many of the wedges chasers call wedges aren't wedges based on the original "definition."

His location in MT is just north of the WY border. You can see a large rain core in that picture. The Alpena tornado last week was also from a generally HP supercell, yet was not rain wrapped.

It's not like that thing didn't have the radar signature to back it up.

Also it was reported by the fire department, not some loony chaser.

His location in MT is just north of the WY border. You can see a large rain core in that picture. The Alpena tornado last week was also from a generally HP supercell, yet was not rain wrapped.

It's not like that thing didn't have the radar signature to back it up.

Also it was reported by the fire department, not some loony chaser.

He posted the picture almost three hours ago. That it's not of whatever was reported is no question.

Not really sure what either of your final two sentences disprove. It definitely had a solid couplet but other than that... The term has been super abused lately so it's kinda pics or it didn't happen at this point.

He posted the picture almost three hours ago. That it's not of whatever was reported is no question.

Not really sure what either of your final two sentences disprove. It definitely had a solid couplet but other than that... The term has been super abused lately so it's kinda pics or it didn't happen at this point.

I'm not disagreeing with that, but you seem to think I'm an idiot who didn't check the report before I posted that.

I'm not disagreeing with that, but you seem to think I'm an idiot who didn't check the report before I posted that.

Not really.. I could say the same having known where the report came from as well. ;)

Pretty sure that's not the same storm (edit: or at least not the same time/location). Also whatever was in WY was buried in rain so the report is suspect on that fact alone.

It was the same storm just earlier in the evolution further northwest. The storm right turned and had a cell merger, which is the image Andy posted, around the cell merger time, but it was tornadic before then as well when the picture was taken.

This is very high CAPE for eastern Colorado (analyzed cape 3000-4500 J/kg). The SPC outlook shows a 30% wind/30% hail for Montana/North Dakota. Seems like there should be some decent coverage of storms up there today, with already 3000 J/kg and about 35 kts effective shear in E. Montana.

post-1182-0-12908100-1403808574_thumb.jp

Had some relatively significant flash flooding behind my apartment, which has a small man-made stream for water overflow from the parking lot. Far from small for about half an hour. Also the road was flooded out and a few cars nearly went with it. Some creeks in the area are also topped out or overflowing

post-5624-0-48576900-1403814768_thumb.jp

post-5624-0-98619100-1403814790_thumb.jp

post-5624-0-35715700-1403814852_thumb.jp

Archived