• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
April 1st-4th Severe Weather Thread

andyhb

The 12z GFS just kicked up the threat to another level tomorrow.  Instead of major early initiation/widespread warm sector convection (some of which would likely still be tornadic), it holds off the vast majority of initiation until 21z or later, with much lower QPF values indicative of far more discrete convection.  This is in line with the OP NAM and the 4-km NAM run, the latter of which has a potent supercell signal by 00z across AR and LA.  I think MO will have a decent tornado threat, but unidirectional profiles up there may favor a linear mode with widespread wind damage and QLCS tornadoes for the most part.  If the GFS and NAM trends continue, though, I'd almost expect a high risk eventually from far srn MO through much of AR and into N LA.

Although early convection (anvils) no longer seems to be a problem for significant severe event, a big question is how pronounced any secondary mesolow will evolve over northeastern OK tomorrow afternoon. The GFS and the NAM have trended somewhat away from that scenario a bit and have gradually moved the surface low farther north at 00Z 04 April. With more low-level veering the significant tornado threat might be lower in most of central AR, where the largest extent of high instability / MUCAPE will be. In other words, significant tornadoes would occur in a smaller area of the warm sector, up toward south-central MO and north-central AR. Still, shear is more than sufficient for supercellular modes, and there is still a hint of a secondary low on the GFS. Is there a possibility that the models sampling overnight could trend back toward the secondary-low scenario?

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although early convection (anvils) no longer seems to be a problem for significant severe event, a big question is how pronounced any secondary mesolow will evolve over northeastern OK tomorrow afternoon. The GFS and the NAM have trended somewhat away from that scenario a bit and have gradually moved the surface low farther north at 00Z 04 April. With more low-level veering the significant tornado threat might be lower in most of central AR, where the largest extent of high instability / MUCAPE will be. In other words, significant tornadoes would occur in a smaller area of the warm sector, up toward south-central MO and north-central AR. Still, shear is more than sufficient for supercellular modes, and there is still a hint of a secondary low on the GFS. Is there a possibility that the models sampling overnight could trend back toward the secondary-low scenario?

What?  The wind profiles are fine.

Near Mena at 00z:

NAM_218_2014040218_F30_35.0000N_94.0000W

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0250
   NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
   0600 PM CDT WED APR 02 2014

AREAS AFFECTED...NRN OK/SRN AND SERN KS/PART OF FAR SWRN MO

CONCERNING...TORNADO WATCH 46...

VALID 022300Z - 030000Z

THE SEVERE WEATHER THREAT FOR TORNADO WATCH 46 CONTINUES.

SUMMARY...TSTM INITIATION HAS OCCURRED OVER FAR SERN KS WITH
   ADDITIONAL DEVELOPMENT POSSIBLE WSWWD ALONG A NWD MOVING WARM FRONT.
   LARGE HAIL AND STRONG WIND GUSTS REMAIN THE PRIMARY THREATS...WHILE
   A TORNADO THREAT ALSO EXISTS. GIVEN THE BOUNDARY CONTINUES TO MOVE
   NWD THROUGH THE NRN EXTENT OF WW 46...ADDITIONAL COUNTIES IN SOUTH
   CENTRAL KS WILL NEED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR INCLUSION INTO THIS WATCH.
   FARTHER ENE IN EAST CENTRAL KS...IF THE BOUNDARY ADVANCES A LITTLE
   FARTHER NWD...THEN A NEW WW MAY NEED TO BE CONSIDERED.

DISCUSSION...TRENDS IN VISIBLE SATELLITE AND RADAR IMAGERY SHOWED A
   WARM FRONT ADVANCING NWD THROUGH FAR NORTH CENTRAL OK /NEAR THE KS
   BORDER/...WITH THIS BOUNDARY EXTENDING ENEWD INTO FAR SERN KS /NOW
   JUST N OF KCNU/.  VANCE OK WSR-88D WIND PROFILER INDICATED
   STRENGTHENING...VERTICALLY VEERING LOW TO MID LEVEL WINDS WHICH WILL
   FAVOR STORM ORGANIZATION AND AN ENHANCED POTENTIAL FOR UPDRAFT
   ROTATION.  MODERATE TO VERY STRONG INSTABILITY /MLCAPE 2000-3000 J
   PER KG/ IS PRESENT ALONG AND SOUTH OF THE WARM FRONT AND COMBINED
   WITH EFFECTIVE BULK SHEAR OF 40-65 KT CONTINUES TO INDICATE THE
   POTENTIAL FOR SEVERE WEATHER.  AS ACTIVITY DEVELOPS...STORM MOTION
   IS FORECAST TO THE ENE TENDING TO KEEP STORMS WITHIN WW 46.
   HOWEVER...IF THE WARM FRONT CONTINUES TO MOVE NWD...ADDITIONAL
   COUNTIES IN SOUTH CENTRAL TO EAST CENTRAL KS WILL NEED TO BE
   CONSIDERED FOR ADDING TO WW 46 AND/OR NEW WW ISSUANCE.

..PETERS.. 04/02/2014

That big hailer to the east of Yates Center is trying.

Non-NWS Report -- from Logan Burress (via spotternetwork.org) @ 12:10 AM UTC -- (S) Rotating Wall Cloud -- -- Spotter is 2 miles SE of HUMBOLDT, KS ( county) [37.791/-95.411] -- Rapidly rotating wall cloud a few miles to my NW. Clear slot cutting around on right edge of core (SN#16311)

ICT using build 14 I see (SAILS). Far E Central KS cell doing well in the mid-levels it appears.

I got to say I'm very impressed with SAILS on GRLevel3. Got to agree with you that the cell you're pointing at is doing pretty well so far.

I got to say I'm very impressed with SAILS on GRLevel3. Got to agree with you that the cell you're pointing at is doing pretty well so far.

Just in the past 15 min, it's becomes less of a supercell and more of a speed sheered cell at it gets N of the front. Everything else is in temps with low 70's and dews in the low 60's. I think we're running out of time for one of these to drop a tor. Another hour at most before the show is over.

Archived