Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
April 1st-4th Severe Weather Thread

andyhb

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's quite an iron-clad cap there, and I'm not sure it's going anywhere today due to the lack of upper lift or mid-level height falls. That has been one of the reasons why I've been a little more bearish for today's event (although I'm not sure I've mentioned that here). If we're relying almost completely on low level forcing, we'd have to get temps up around 30*C/86*F, which is doable, but also begins jacking up the LCL heights as well. Dewpoints are going to be higher further south and east and the cap probably won't be quite as strong in those areas, but temps aren't going to warm as much and there aren't really any boundaries to get stuff going either.

It's also worth noting that low levels aren't backing there, leaving a very blah wind profile, but once again I think locations further to the south and east at least will show a hint of backing (i.e. not straight up SW), unlike at LMN.

300mb_sf.gif?1396468407695

500mb_chg_sf.gif?1396468434850

2014040219_metars_ict.gif

As an avid severe weather forecaster and rookie, I'm loving all of the information that is posted here in regards to the upcoming severe weather outbreaks for today and tomorrow. So, I must say, thanks! 

And a tornado watch has already been issued. Quite unexpected it would come out so early but I guess they see the true severity of these supercells, if one can develop. 

Should add that the thermodynamic profile at Lamont may also be influenced by subsidence behind that mesolow, which means that the observed capping may erode more efficiently than some here have alluded to and/or the cap is significantly weaker farther removed from the mesolow's influence.

LMN's low-level winds are being influenced by the mesolow E of Wichita...I wouldn't expect the profile to stay that would...an Enid sounding right now would be interesting.

Agreed, Enid is looking good right now. Also, extreme SW KS. OK Mesonet in Copan, OK is 83/64 with due S winds.

Dryline/warm front intersection continues to look like the best spot for CI within the next few hours. Convergence is increasing (red line countours) in NW OK and supercell composite also continues to increase eastward along the warm front as sfc winds continue to slowly back in the warm sector east of the dryline as pressures continue to fall over the TX Panhandle. 

Archived